Golfsmith Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Golfsmith Interview Questions

Updated Feb 16, 2017

2.1

Anonymous Employee in Livingston, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Golfsmith (Livingston, NJ).

Interview

An interview with the general manager and sales manager. They are just really testing your basic knowledge and ability to perform in a retail setting. The sales associate is an entry level job so you do not need to have many years of experience. Most of the training is on the job, however you really need to have good people skills.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any sales experience or experience working in retail?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not do any negotiation.

Web Content Editor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Golfsmith in December 2015.

Interview

Applied for the job in the morning and was called for a phone screening the same afternoon. The interviewer was just an HR guy and seemed excited to be talking to me until we got to the salary expectations. Apparently I asked for way too much because they were only willing to pay about $11-13/hr for this job, which seems ridiculously low. However, the employee still said he wanted to bring me in for an in-person interview and promised to call me back the next day, but now it's been weeks and I've heard nothing. I'm fine with not working here since the pay was so bad anyways, but I don't know why they'd guarantee me a call back when they clearly weren't interested in hiring me.

Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Golfsmith.

Interview

Two to three questions and done. Your basically hired. You are normally interviewed by the GM but if the GM is lazy you will have the Assistant Managers such as Operations Manager, Merchandise manager or even the Floor Supervisor interview you.

Interview Questions

• Do you feel that you like working in a fast paced environment? If so are you good with multi tasking?
      Tell me of a time when you had to think on your feet and solve a big issue without anyones help?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Golfsmith (Hollywood, FL) in May 2015.

Interview

I was interviewed twice. Once by a MOD, then with the GM. It was a very casual setting. They both made me feel very relaxed. The interviewed process included questions about past employment and some role playing/situational questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to think on your feet to solve an unexpected problem that arose with a customer after, what seemed to be, a positive interaction   Answer Question

Web Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Golfsmith (Austin, TX).

Interview

The interview went well. It was a more casual interview than I expected. I went in to first meet with the hiring manager and then I was asked to come back again in a week to meet with a few others I would be working with. Those interviews went well - albeit they weren't as serious about the interview, which made it easier.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Golfsmith (Chicago, IL) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and got an email back 20 minutes later (lucky timing). I interviewed for one position and at the end of my interview they told me they already knew who they wanted for the position I applied for and offered me a different position. I accepted and figured I'd wait until whoever they hired quit and then take their position, but I don't think he'll be quitting anytime soon.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any usual questions just the typical so tell me about yourself and how did you handle a tough customer etc.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Golfsmith in March 2015.

Interview

I was called within a week of applying and set up a face to face interview with the general manager. Very relaxing environment during interview. Whole process took about a week and a half.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you didnt agree with management and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Fashion Merchandise Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Golfsmith (Austin, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

Out of the blue I received an email from the HR department at Golfsmith and they had contacted the Career Center at my university and wanted to invite me to interview for the position. Called their HR person and talked about what the job required, how soon I could leave my other job, and set a date for an interview. I call later and learn this is a group interview with 4 people rather than one.

Come in and interview with the first set of people who actually work with fashion apparel and travel from Canada and varying locations in the US and we had amazing rapport. I give them an updated version of my resume and they seem happy about it and take notes on my resume.The female and male team were engaged during the interview and came into the interview with some familiarity of the old and new resume they had, were receptive to questions I asked of them and told me I had good questions, 1/4 of the way through the interview the female interviewer gave me her business card, all seemed to go well with them. And I loved the fact they were taking notes on my resume and giving me positive feedback. I really wanted the fashion merch position with them.

Then, comes the...Z team. The second set of interviewers are a two guys who do the more technical side of the merchandising. One of the male interviewers is very young, the other is older. They explain they're looking for two merchandise coordinators for their department and that they work with UPCs and planning. Compared to the previous interviewers in the apparel department, these two were lacking in charisma and interviewing skills. The younger interviewer was hired on with a background in buying. He was fast talking and could step on your words by interrupting, seemed frustrated and annoyed he was there and had interviewed others from my school. I also could not tell if he was shaking his head after I said something or if he had a weird tick. The older interviewer had worked at the retail store location for a long while and gotten promoted from within. Though I directed questions at both of them, Older kept his arms crossed and did not really respond to my questions nor ask questions. Older also came to our interview wearing a baseball cap. The dress environment at Golfsmith is a casual but no one there was wearing a cap and the previous interviewers were dressed ready for an interview.

Bottom line with this set of interviewers: Older was barely present; he was a ghost. Younger came into the interview with lowered expectations and was incredibly impersonal, hadn't glanced my resume, was drawing on my resume rather than taking notes, and was dissing the professional processes of the apparel department at his work and people in the fashion industry, Wow, just wow, Work with you two? No thanks, I would not want to interrupt your egotistical bromance.

The only thing I regret not saying during the second part of that interview is that I could learn the programs they were stressing people be proficient in. Though I may not use the programs they use as often, I'm a fast learner and with more requirement to use these programs daily I could learn to use them the way they want. There's no job that has not introduced a new way to do something to someone.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Naperville, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Golfsmith (Naperville, IL) in May 2014.

Interview

Got a call to come in for interview. It was a 1 on 1 easy get to know you questions to start. Then moved on to behavioral questions. It went well and as long as you are yourself you will land the job.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you dealt with a difficult customer and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Accepted a different job.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Golfsmith (Austin, TX) in April 2014.

Interview

short and simple. one interview only, on boarding times take way too long waiting on background checks. basic retail job that doesn't require multiple interviews. met at store location, business casual attire. lasted about 15 minutes, then basic tour of the facility. met the staff members that were that day ... maybe 10 total employees that day.

Interview Questions

• How long have you played golf?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not really. Entry level usually locked in pay