Grant Street Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Grant Street Group Interview Questions

Updated Dec 9, 2017

2.9

Entry Level Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grant Street Group in December 2017.

Interview

I completed the online application for the remote entry level software developer position. The process has 2 or 3 parts. You attach your resume then answer their questions about why you're interested and which languages that you have experience or knowledge in.

I could already see and get this vibe that Grant Street is STRICTLY looking for Computer Science graduates. NOT Bootcamp graduates or "Learn on your Own" individuals. Later this was confirmed based on the code assessment test questions.

The website puts a statement that says to speed up the process you must complete the code assessment. This is true because several weeks went by and I did not receive any communication from staff. You are INVISIBLE until you complete the code skills test. I used the time to try to train for the code assessment after I saw a Big O Notation algorithm challenge in their demo Codility test.

WARNING: You MUST pass all four tasks in the Codility assessment portion of the interview. Also the level of difficulty was NOT entry level. The third or fourth task involved binary time gap and other madness. The first two of the four tasks weren't so bad but the last two ...I blanked.

The Big O Notation demo test ended up being a false alarm. In the real 4-part Codility assessment, they put a statement that says to focus on correctness and not performance.

Interview Questions

• Given a table invoice_items with the following structure, return a list of invoices:   1 Answer
    • Write function def solution(N,S) a non-empty string S = S[0] S[1] binary period of a positive integer. A positive integer M is the binary period of a positive integer N if M is the period of the binary representation of N.   1 Answer
    • def solution(N, S): given the number of rows N and a list of reserved seats as string S   1 Answer

Grant Street Group Response

Dec 13, 2017 – Human Resources Manager

We're sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy applying at GSG, and we wanted to further explain the reasoning behind our process. We include the coding challenge in our application because it lets... More

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (New York, NY).

Interview

Complete waste of time. As soon as the interviewer saw me I received a smug grin, disinterested body language and he proceeded to pepper me with useless questions. He did all but tell me he didn't even want to interview me. Maybe I'm ugly.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in October 2017.

Interview

Took an online coding test which I did well on, and then I went through a series of Google Hangouts with a few people in the company. After that I was invited onsite and had a generally positive experience, so I was a little surprised to be turned down. Still a mostly enjoyable process and I got a nice lunch out of it!

Interview Questions

• Onsite questions were mostly personality-based, "tell me a situation where..." sort of questions.   1 Answer

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Chicago, IL) in September 2017.

Interview

After they quickly look through your resume in your application, they decide if you get to take the online coding test. If you pass, you have an online interview (I had it with their CTO). Then if you continue, you talk to several employees (also through online interviews).

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

1) Phone Interview (~15min)
    2) Google Hangout (~30min)
    3) On Site (~7.5 hours)
    4) Google Hangout (~30min)

The impression that I got is that they are looking for problem solvers with communication skills (written, verbal, and non-verbal) and humility. The interview process reflects this.

The whole process from the first phone interview to receiving an offer was ~5 weeks.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in March 2017.

Interview

There was an initial phone screening which was short and pretty standard followed by an initial phone interview. I when through several rounds of skype interviews before being asked to come to an on-site interview. The on-site interview lasts the entire day. Overall all the people I interviewed with were very friendly and nice to talk to. The interviews were actually pretty fun overall. The CEO is pretty dry to interview with and comes across as being kind of angry but everyone else is nice enough to make up for it.

Interview Questions

• Walk us through a complex issue that you understand.   Answer Question
    • What was a time when you had to solve a complex issue?   Answer Question
    • If you were to create a piece of software, what would it do and how would it look?   Answer Question
    • What would the process of designing the software look like?   Answer Question
    • What are your greatest weaknesses?   Answer Question
    • They ask you a couple basic math problems and ask you to walk them through how you got the solution.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in March 2017.

Interview

The first round was a phone screening with a recruiter who asked basic questions about my resume and my interest in the company and the position. During this time, I also attended an on-site shadow day at the company. The next round was an video conference interview with the a business analyst lead in charge of recruiting. The final round was an all-day in-person interview. I met with several people from all around the company, some in-person and some over video conference (which felt a bit odd). There were many basic behavioral interview questions, a session where you went over a problem you worked to solve with a group of BA's, and a session with a couple of extremely basic math questions. All and all, I found the entire process very positive, and was very surprised when I didn't receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to explain a difficult concept to someone.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Interview

I applied via a recruiter, and was sent an online coding test to complete. The test allows 2 hours to finish 4 questions. I received an overall 65% because while all of my answers passed the tests, upon submitting the full exam, they apply additional use cases to your solutions, and apparently some of these failed. GSG did not speak with me ever; once I had taken the test, we heard back it was a "no" -- so apparently they have some minimum score you must receive, regardless of anything else.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

It was a thirty minute phone call with basic question. After that they emailed a "take-home" writing assessment. You have 60 minutes to write the paper. It basically asked you described a business/complex problem that occurred and the steps you took to solved it.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grant Street Group.

Interview

I applied online for the Business Analyst Summer Internship and after one month (maybe a little less) I got a phone interview. The woman was extremely nice and the questions were not hard at all. Fair questions such as strengths, weaknesses, and my past experience. They also asked a couple questions related to the future such as what are my goals and objectives basically.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions such as strengths, weaknesses, work experience, why would I like to work there, etc. The phone interview was a little over 20 minutes long.   Answer Question