Grant Street Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Grant Street Group Interview Questions

Updated Aug 16, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

1) Phone Interview (~15min)
    2) Google Hangout (~30min)
    3) On Site (~7.5 hours)
    4) Google Hangout (~30min)

The impression that I got is that they are looking for problem solvers with communication skills (written, verbal, and non-verbal) and humility. The interview process reflects this.

The whole process from the first phone interview to receiving an offer was ~5 weeks.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in March 2017.

Interview

There was an initial phone screening which was short and pretty standard followed by an initial phone interview. I when through several rounds of skype interviews before being asked to come to an on-site interview. The on-site interview lasts the entire day. Overall all the people I interviewed with were very friendly and nice to talk to. The interviews were actually pretty fun overall. The CEO is pretty dry to interview with and comes across as being kind of angry but everyone else is nice enough to make up for it.

Interview Questions

• Walk us through a complex issue that you understand.   Answer Question
    • What was a time when you had to solve a complex issue?   Answer Question
    • If you were to create a piece of software, what would it do and how would it look?   Answer Question
    • What would the process of designing the software look like?   Answer Question
    • What are your greatest weaknesses?   Answer Question
    • They ask you a couple basic math problems and ask you to walk them through how you got the solution.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in March 2017.

Interview

The first round was a phone screening with a recruiter who asked basic questions about my resume and my interest in the company and the position. During this time, I also attended an on-site shadow day at the company. The next round was an video conference interview with the a business analyst lead in charge of recruiting. The final round was an all-day in-person interview. I met with several people from all around the company, some in-person and some over video conference (which felt a bit odd). There were many basic behavioral interview questions, a session where you went over a problem you worked to solve with a group of BA's, and a session with a couple of extremely basic math questions. All and all, I found the entire process very positive, and was very surprised when I didn't receive an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to explain a difficult concept to someone.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Interview

I applied via a recruiter, and was sent an online coding test to complete. The test allows 2 hours to finish 4 questions. I received an overall 65% because while all of my answers passed the tests, upon submitting the full exam, they apply additional use cases to your solutions, and apparently some of these failed. GSG did not speak with me ever; once I had taken the test, we heard back it was a "no" -- so apparently they have some minimum score you must receive, regardless of anything else.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

It was a thirty minute phone call with basic question. After that they emailed a "take-home" writing assessment. You have 60 minutes to write the paper. It basically asked you described a business/complex problem that occurred and the steps you took to solved it.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grant Street Group.

Interview

I applied online for the Business Analyst Summer Internship and after one month (maybe a little less) I got a phone interview. The woman was extremely nice and the questions were not hard at all. Fair questions such as strengths, weaknesses, and my past experience. They also asked a couple questions related to the future such as what are my goals and objectives basically.

Interview Questions

• Basic questions such as strengths, weaknesses, work experience, why would I like to work there, etc. The phone interview was a little over 20 minutes long.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

This is regarding the posting vs. the application. The posting clearly stated REMOTE with no reference to travel or relocation, but one of the questions on the application stated it would be required and telecommuting would be considered after an appropriate period of time. As a person who is not physically able to do that, it puts me out of the running for a job I would otherwise be qualified for. They need to adjust the location information on this posting. I completed the application but did state NO to that question, so I won't get a chance at this.

Grant Street Group Response

Jan 10, 2017 – Human Resources Manager

Thank you for your input. It is handled on a case-by-case basis, but the majority of people are able to work remotely full-time if they wish. We do ask that you travel to Pittsburgh for training... More

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Street Group in January 2017.

Interview

2 weeks after online application, I was contacted for a phone screen. It was scheduled for 30 minutes, but lasted almost an hour. Later that day I completed the times writing assignment. It was 60 minutes to describe a business problem or a successful project ( or something like that). About 10 days later I was notified that I would not be continuing through to the next interview. Overall, it was a good experience. I had not interviewed in a few years, so it was good practice. The interviewer was friendly and professional.

Interview Questions

• Greatest weakness, how your manager and co-workers would describe me and my work, also questions related to my work history and job duties.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

HR sent me a 45-minute Perl test, which I passed. After that, they sent me a 2-hour take-home programming assignment, which I also passed. After another HR call, they told me multiple times that I'd be taking a one-hour Javascript test over webcam.

It turned out to be nothing of the sort. The interviewer only asked me vague questions about improving the solution to my take-home assignment. My attempts at clarification were unhelpful. Neither of us seemed to understand each other's point. He then told me we'd concluded the interview.

This was a pretty busy time of the year for me. Needless to say, if I'd gotten a remotely accurate description of the interview format, I wouldn't have wasted 3 hours for nothing.

Interview Questions

• How would you improve your solution to the take-home assignment?   Answer Question

Grant Street Group Response

Dec 19, 2016 – Human Resources Specialist

We're sorry to hear that your interview experience didn't meet your expectations. This sounds like our old interview format, and we have improved the interview process since then. If you have any... More

Pittsburgh Office Position Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Grant Street Group in October 2016.

Interview

Applied online and got a call for a phone screen. After phone screen was invited in the office for an all day interview with several people in the organization, one-on-ones and some video interviews.

I had such high hopes for this company because my phone screen was so great, but by the end of the onsite interview day I was so disappointed and put-off that I told my friends and family I wouldn't take an offer if it was 3x my ask.

I mirror others sentiments that the process bordered on insulting. Interviewers did not know how to interview, therefore would ask completely irrelevant questions or when attempting to clarify examples I had given would say "I don't believe that" rather than "Can you explain how you achieved this?". I wasn't even given a chance, just cut off from talking with a rude "I have a hard time believing that". How, as a candidate, do you answer that? "Well it's true" or "I can explain how I achieved this", and even still, you'd get a "I just have a hard time believing that". I guess good results are hard to believe here?

Of the 6 hour interview day, I'd probably say about 1 hour of that time was actually productive interviewing, the rest left me scratching my head or feeling like I was on the defense and just downright offended.

I got mixed messages throughout the day. Initially was told this position didn't involve any travel, and later on an interviewer asked me how comfortable I was with flying, because I'd probably be put on a plane several times a year, and there is a good amount of travel involved. Another interviewer assured me certain skills would be used and critical in this role while a later interviewer (I believe a VP in the company) said "There will be absolutely none of that in this role, and if that's your passion, this isn't the right position for you. You won't do that here."

Throughout the day I was asked very specific questions about how my current organization runs our processes. When asked these odd questions, I tried to turn it around and focus more about my background/keep it less off of my company, but it seemed like they were much more interested in trying to get inside info on how my organization runs things instead of learning about me as an individual and about my skill set. I almost felt like they just called me in to try to get information on how other companies operate in specific areas. It felt like a scam and like they were seeking free consulting.

I also heard indication from a few people that they ask their people to come onto Glassdoor to write positive reviews, so be careful with what you read.

Lastly, I couldn't help but to feel that since I am a young female professional that I was treated differently and treated with disrespect. Asking me how I did in high school and if I wasn't strong in the STEM field is nothing short of insulting. For the record, I've been in the work field for a long time. Why are my high school days relevant at all? Is it an age thing? My work experience speaks for how I am a highly respected in my field and a seasoned professional. Asking me to try to remember my high school days and GPA and making assumptions that I wasn't strong in math, tech, analytics, etc. (which for the record, I'm GREAT with analytics)...I was really in disbelief and to be honest, at that point I should've probably thanked them for their time and walked out.

I was quizzed on definitions of things and almost smirked at when I would try to answer their strange interview questions. I was quizzed on who I met with (which was a nightmare because I wasn't given an itinerary detailing who I'd be meeting with, and I met with a TON of people), and asked questions that were completely irrelevant to the role I was being considered for.

The entire day felt like a free consulting appointment for them. It's clear they think very highly of themselves, and there are lots of egos. I have never been involved in such a disrespectful process. The interviewers knew absolutely nothing about me and none of the interviews provided me the opportunity to demonstrate why I was a fit for the role, because I had to spend my entire day defending myself rather than having productive and insightful conversations. When I left for the day, I thought "Wow, these people have a completely different picture of me than who I am. What a wasted day."

I think it was an excellent opportunity to gain insight on what a day-in-the-life in the company would look like. The theme is you aren't respected for your proven work record, and you aren't believed when you talk about targets you have achieved. I think the team I would've been on seemed just fine and I enjoyed my conversations with them, but everyone else has miles to go on how the present the company to candidates.