Grant Street Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Grant Street Group Interview Questions

Interviews at Grant Street Group

2.9

Business Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Grant Street Group.

Interview

Interview process involves a very large time commitment from candidates and then provides no feedback whatsoever. Typically when a company requires this much time during the interview process at least a portion of it is compensated. Not a good look for the company at large. But then again read the reviews and more importantly the company’s responses (pay attention to the phrasing). Highly likely that employees aren’t well respected and are trying to leave if they aren’t part of the “club”. I knew better than to spend that much time for such an employer but did it anyway. Oh well. Next.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when a project you were working on experienced extreme difficulties.   Answer Question

Grant Street Group Response

Feb 28, 2020 – HR Manager

Our President, Myles Harrington, asked me to pass along the following response to your review:

We agree, three months is too long when 4-6 weeks is typical at Grant Street.

With regard to your speculation that employees aren't respected and are trying to leave, you may be surprised to learn that attrition at Grant Street is nearly half the tech industry norm.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in February 2020.

Interview

1) Intial HR call, very friendly, detailed questions about the question you answer on the application
    2) video conference call with several team members. More detailed explanation of the job and more questions about your experience.
    3) full day on site interview. Some good and bad experiences. The HR team is incredibly helpful and responsive. The panel interviewers were disinterested and aloof. Two team members took me to lunch and this was a great opportunity to learn more about the company. Afternoon was meetings with upper management. They were forthright and told me things that I did not do well in the other stages. Their honesty and personability was refreshing. I think I would have liked working although some of the team members/other company aspects gave me pause.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Street Group.

Interview

Pretty easy and straight forward process. Was referred to the job and corresponded back and forth with an employee. Sent in my resume and cover letter. After that there was a 45 minute written response question. After that had a video interview with two employees there. Pretty standard behavioral questions. Was supposed to interview on-site but had already accept a different position by then.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that a group project did not go as planned?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

1) online application
    2) phone interview with an HR recruiter lasting 30-45 minutes
    3) video interview with hiring manager lasting 30-45 minutes
    4) onsite interview lasting full day, 9 hours (8-5 PM) with about 4 1:1 sessions of 20 minutes each. Went to lunch with 2 senior Business Analysts. Did a panel interview with 2 other employees.
    Tedious interview process. Onsite interview very dry and very few were employees available. Climate and culture were not attractive - people seemed bored and unenthusiastic. Employees are all on the young side (think right out of college) except for management. Met co-CEO Myles Harrington who was extremely professional, friendly, and down to earth. Really nice person. The COO, Fred Burnette, was a jerk, condescending, and not someone I would have wanted to work with. I knew after meeting with him I didn't want to work there.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Grant Street Group?   1 Answer
    • They'll ask a lot of questions about your background and resume.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Street Group in January 2020.

Interview

I applied online through the company's website. The first step was a short online application form where I uploaded my Resume and answered a few basic questions. The second step was a 15-minute skills test to evaluate my ability to think critically and solve problems. The third step was a 60-minute writing sample in which I was asked to describe in detail a time that I solved a complicated technical problem. I received an email to set up a phone interview within a week of completing the online application process.

Interview Questions

• What is something a current employer would say you were good at?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Street Group in December 2019.

Interview

The interview process was as described in previous reviews: initial application, 60 minute writing assignment, phone interview with HR, then video interview with someone in the same field + HR manager. I didn't make it to the on-site interview.

I think they're interview process is a good one but they are certainly looking for a specific type of person/experience. While they are open to discussions with people who have backgrounds outside of software development, in the end that experience seems like a must-have. I had trouble translating my project management experience into the right context since I come from an altogether different industry.

Everyone I spoke with was very polite a professional. Based on my limited experience with them, they seem like a good company to work for so do your homework and be prepared!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the projects you are working on?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in November 2019.

Interview

Two step application process; phone interview; 4 hour onsite interview where you met with an HR coordinator, project manager, operations director, co-CEO, and then the COO and finished it off with the HR director

Interview Questions

• Name a time you worked on a team and had a disagreement   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in October 2019.

Interview

I loved the tools they used to screen their applicants — the logic test and the writing exercise, because that allowed me to stand out in a crowd. The phone screen and web interview went well, so I was brought onsite. My day of interviews was cut short after lunch, clearly hinting that I had been vetoed, so I spent 4 hours at the airport, sulking while I waited to go home.

When I learned that I didn’t get the job, the shortcoming cited is actually one of my best strengths. My suspicion is that if you’re over 40, you probably won’t get the job. Anyway, everyone was very nice.

Grant Street Group Response

Nov 21, 2019 – HR Manager

We, of course, do not take a candidate's age into consideration when making hiring decisions. If anything, we place more value on experience and wisdom than their absence. With regard to your "suspicion" that persons over 40 need not apply, you may be surprised to learn that the average age of a Grant Street employee is about 40.

Junior Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in October 2019.

Interview

I submitted my resume and a video, and then did an online coding challenge with 4 questions, taking a little under 2 hours. I got a 100 and received an email promptly from HR to schedule a phone screening. The phone screening was a behavioral interview with an HR person and a live coding challenge where I had to share my screen. I did well and got a second round. This round was 4 interviews, all remote, with managers and the CTO. I think it was supposed to include another coding challenge, but one of the interviewers couldn't make it so I'm not sure. I was invited for an onsite interview in Pittsburgh, which included three personal interviews, a database challenge, and lunch with some devs. I didn't get an offer, but they had the respect to call me the next week to let me know, which I appreciate.

Interview Questions

• Besides the coding questions, they mostly just wanted to know more about me and asked a lot about my history. The CEO picked parts of my history I didn't really expect anyone to ask me about and asked a lot of questions.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grant Street Group in September 2019.

Interview

I was contacted quickly after submitting my application, cognitive test, and writing sample. I did a phone interview with a talent acquisition representative that lasted an hour in which she had me basically break down every aspect of my resume for her and what I learned from each of my experiences. I was also asked to describe my undergraduate thesis, and was given about five to ten minutes at the end to ask questions.

I heard back about four days later and was invited to do an interview with two or three of their employees. I chatted with two girls for about 45 minutes. They asked questions about my past experiences and what would I do if I was put in a position where I needed to learn a new skill. To be honest, I thought it went really well.

A week later I received an automated message saying that while they were impressed with my experience and ability, they are pursuing other candidates. After putting in several hours of my time, receiving an automated rejection letter was super impersonal and quite frustrating. I emailed the interviews team to ask if there is anything they could tell me so that I could avoid similar mistakes in the future. They essentially said "we don't share information regarding our interview process. Good luck in your future job search." It would have been nice to receive at least a little feedback, but I guess because I'm out of the running for the job its more of a 'not our problem' kind of mentality.

I thought the second round interviewers were all fairly nice and professional. The first interviewer seemed really uninterested, like she was just pushing to get through the day.

Interview Questions

• Explain to us about a time you failed?   Answer Question
    • How would you go about learning a highly technical skill if asked to do so?   Answer Question
    • What role do you generally end up in when working in a team?   Answer Question
    • How would your friends, coworkers, and classmates describe your strengths?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for this company?   Answer Question