Grant Street Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Grant Street Group Interview Questions

Updated Aug 7, 2018

2.9

Perl Developer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Grant Street Group.

Interview

There was an initial phone screening with technical questions, a programming test, a couple of sessions where I was observed solving various programming problems, and lots of one-on-one interviews with current employees.

The initial phone screening, programming test, and one of the sessions where I had to solve a problem while being observed were done remotely, and the remaining interviews were on-site. They booked flights and a nice hotel in downtown Pittsburgh for the on-site portion.

Interview Questions

• While I agreed to not give specific details about the interview questions, I can say that one of the most difficult aspects was the technical phone screening, where I was asked various questions about the Perl language. Even in a couple of instances where I knew the correct answer, I drew a blank, simply because I was caught off guard by the intensity of the screening.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The offer did not meet my request, but was pretty close, and they added a guaranteed bonus to make up the difference.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in October 2017.

Interview

Took an online coding test which I did well on, and then I went through a series of Google Hangouts with a few people in the company. After that I was invited onsite and had a generally positive experience, so I was a little surprised to be turned down. Still a mostly enjoyable process and I got a nice lunch out of it!

Interview Questions

• Onsite questions were mostly personality-based, "tell me a situation where..." sort of questions.   1 Answer

Web Design Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in April 2013.

Interview

I had a few phone interviews then was brought on site. On-site I had a technical interview where I was asked to code my resume in HTML. When on site I met with many managers and even C-level employees. They asked me behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Can you code your resume in HTML, CSS, JS? Also, use illustrator or photoshop to add new graphical elements to your resume.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

HR sent me a 45-minute Perl test, which I passed. After that, they sent me a 2-hour take-home programming assignment, which I also passed. After another HR call, they told me multiple times that I'd be taking a one-hour Javascript test over webcam.

It turned out to be nothing of the sort. The interviewer only asked me vague questions about improving the solution to my take-home assignment. My attempts at clarification were unhelpful. Neither of us seemed to understand each other's point. He then told me we'd concluded the interview.

This was a pretty busy time of the year for me. Needless to say, if I'd gotten a remotely accurate description of the interview format, I wouldn't have wasted 3 hours for nothing.

Interview Questions

• How would you improve your solution to the take-home assignment?   Answer Question

Grant Street Group Response

Dec 19, 2016 – Human Resources Specialist

We're sorry to hear that your interview experience didn't meet your expectations. This sounds like our old interview format, and we have improved the interview process since then. If you have any... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in February 2014.

Interview

Answered a series of questions in person and filled out a registration form. Mostly basic questions about your experience and resume. I was later contacted to via email and was asked to finish a programming test. You had one hour to complete it. It was a basic web scrapping script. Easy

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online, was forwarded to a basic coding test, and then one-to-one web conference where I was asked to look at some code and explain what it does. None of the questions were especially difficult, assuming you'd seen any amount of code before.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied through university. The process took approximately two weeks. First was a code screen involving very basic function implementations. Next was a coding challenge which was a bit more involved. Finally, there was a technical Skype interview.

Interview Questions

• Given a url, return the words and their frequency on the webpage in ascending order.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Grant Street Group.

Interview

The process starts with a brief introduction to the company by a non-technical manager.
    The first technical interview goes over basic skills and leaves the candidate with several small assignments to complete at home.
    The second technical interview covers very similar projects with the user logging in remotely to one of Grant Streets systems. I failed at this stage primarily because I was connecting from an unfamiliar system with an altered keyboard layout on my end to their remote system. I use vim and didn't have the presence of mind to prepare a simple vimrc for the exam.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (New York, NY).

Interview

Complete waste of time. As soon as the interviewer saw me I received a smug grin, disinterested body language and he proceeded to pepper me with useless questions. He did all but tell me he didn't even want to interview me. Maybe I'm ugly.

Software Developer Interview

Interview

I applied via a recruiter, and was sent an online coding test to complete. The test allows 2 hours to finish 4 questions. I received an overall 65% because while all of my answers passed the tests, upon submitting the full exam, they apply additional use cases to your solutions, and apparently some of these failed. GSG did not speak with me ever; once I had taken the test, we heard back it was a "no" -- so apparently they have some minimum score you must receive, regardless of anything else.