Grant Street Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 10, 2018

2.9

Data Conversion Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in June 2018.

Interview

Initial phone screen with HR followed by 1-on-1 with head of department, than a series of ~30 minute video interviews with various team members. Final stage, which I did not make, would have been an on-site interview with executives.

Interview process seemed focused on finding what they believe is the right personality match for the internal culture. The job itself is not very difficult. Characteristics they seemed to emphasize for this position were the ability to communicate concisely at the appropriate level for the audience, i.e. relating technical information to non-technical clients without getting too far into the weeds. Strict time management on video calls was also mentioned as a key aspect of company culture. Of course both of these skills are things that a person can develop as they adapt to a particular company culture, but if you want to work at GSG it's probably best to demonstrate them at the outset.

GSG is experiencing rapid growth, having increased from maybe 20 people less than 10 years ago to about 200 today. The CTO mentioned managing growth as his main concern (and didn't mention anything technology related, which I though was unusual given his title). There seems to be a belief that stringent gate-keeping in hiring for so-called cultural fit is part of the way they can effectively manage growth from a small to mid-size company.

As is so often the case with amateurish management, "cultural fit" can become a situation where decision-makers tend to hire people they perceive as being like themselves. A look at the company web site shows that the entire executive team is composed of middle-to-late career white males. Of the nine people I interviewed with, eight were (white) men. That kind of lack of diversity is not an accident in this day and age. I interacted with only two women during the entire process, one of which was the admin person who scheduled the sessions.

Several of the interviewers interrupted me rudely when they wanted to turn the conversation in a different direction. It's not so much the fact that they interrupted that was the problem - it's perfectly fine for an interviewer to direct the conversation - but the fact that it was done with condescension and lack of social finesse. While many of the team members I spoke to seemed like nice, intelligent people it would be enjoyable to work with, I did not get the same feeling from the (upper) managers. Overall the company did not make a good impression on me as an attractive place to work.

Data Conversion Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grant Street Group.

Interview

The interviews consisted of several small video interviews with various groups. One would think after investing 5-10 hours in their application process that they could give you five minutes of their time responding to an email asking for feedback on the interviews and where you fell short with their company. It's common curtesy.

Entry Level Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in April 2018.

Interview

I was very impressed with the software developer interview process at Grant Street Group! The first step was to upload my resume and write about why I wanted to work for them. Next I completed a coding challenge, which I believe was about 2 hours. The coding challenge was in an awesome environment that allowed me to run my code and even write test cases! I thought the challenge was fair and did a great job of accurately measuring my skills. Next I had a video interview with the CTO and a phone interview with HR. I learned that the position I was applying to had just been filled, but I was encouraged to complete the interview process and then wait until another position became available in another month or two. I decided to continue with the next step, which was 3 peer video interviews. After receiving position feedback on these interviews, I waited about a month before getting the call that a position was available and I was invited on site for an all-day interview, which was the final step in the process. Grant Street Group flew me to Pittsburgh and I got to meet with 9 different people throughout the day, of various positions and backgrounds. It was a wonderful opportunity to ask all my questions and get a great idea of what it's like to work at Grant Street Group. Everyone was very friendly and welcoming. I was thrilled to receive an offer a few days later and I can't wait for my first day on the job! I was very impressed by the open communication throughout this entire process.

Interview Questions

• Most interviews were focused on learning about my past experiences and evaluating my fit with the company culture. The coding challenge was the most challenging part of the process, but was a good level of difficulty.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Interview

They ask for some one hour of writing upfront as well as a video interview. Really don't think the quality of response is important to them insomuch as finding those with the personality type who is willing to go through loops.

Phone interview was...odd. Interviewer didn't seem to be too experienced and kept asking about strange tangents during the process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Augustine, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Saint Augustine, FL) in February 2018.

Interview

I applied and interviewed through an employee referral. After I applied, I was contacted within a few hours to set up and initial phone call interview with a member of HR. I talked to Chris and the conversation was great and felt natural. They were very thorough and asked for very detailed explanations. The conversation lasted 65 minutes and it went by fast.

The application itself was unique and different from the industry standard. They do allow you to do a 60 minutes writing sample upfront and require a written sample or video explaining why you want to work at GSG. In my opinion the different application interface was very captivating.

I’m hoping to move on to the next phase and hopefully get offered the position. I’ve heard great things about the company itself and I’d be honored to work at such a great place.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in January 2018.

Interview

Recorded video interview, followed up with Phone interview. My background was in communications and journalism, not editing. So that gave the interviewer pause. They claim in their ads that they are interested in hiring all types of professional backgrounds for this position, but be prepared to explain why you are applying.

Interview Questions

• Work history, what attracted me to apply to Grant Street, willingness to travel.   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Grant Street Group in January 2018.

Interview

Terrible experience. Filled out their application online and then got an email about setting up a phone interview. The phone interview had to have been the weirdest interview of my life.

The awful HR rep on the other side of the phone questioned me over and over, literally about a half hour, about a paper I wrote freshman year of college. Asking me random different questions he could come up with off the top of his head, but they had absolutely nothing to do with the company, the position I was applying, or my work experience or education. At one point he asked me why I chose to write about what I did and I gave a solid answer and he goes "I don't think you really answered my question"... Absolutely ridiculous. It got to the point where I was very close to asking if we could just move on and he could actually do his job and ask me HR type questions.

Finally he moved on and asked me about 10 minutes worth of interview-like questions. Seemed like someone that didn't know how to do their job properly and was having a bad day.

Interview Questions

• If I talked to your previous boss/co-workers, what would they say your greatest strengths are? How about your weaknesses?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work here?   Answer Question

Grant Street Group Response

Feb 9, 2018 – Human Resources Manager

We're disappointed to hear that you didn't enjoy your interview experience. We don't have a normal interview process, so I'm happy to explain our approach. We look for people who are eager to... More

Business Analyst (Remote) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (Pittsburgh, PA) in January 2018.

Interview

I was emailed within 2 days of applying online, and the phone interview was 2 days after that. Then 2 days later I got the "thank you but we are pursuing other candidates" email. The application was more thorough and gave a better chance to show my interest and abilities than normal, because of the writing sample and video cover letter. The writing sample was something like describe a problem I encountered at work and how I solved it (or something like that).

The interview was fine (and took place on the phone, not Pittsburgh), not particularly memorable except for the part when the interviewer got hung up (maybe understandably) on my unrelated past experience and my commitment to a business analyst and Grant Street career.

Interview Questions

• Strengths and weaknesses   Answer Question
    • If you could wave a magic wand at your old job and change something, what would it be and why?   Answer Question

Entry Level Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grant Street Group in December 2017.

Interview

I completed the online application for the remote entry level software developer position. The process has 2 or 3 parts. You attach your resume then answer their questions about why you're interested and which languages that you have experience or knowledge in.

I could already see and get this vibe that Grant Street is STRICTLY looking for Computer Science graduates. NOT Bootcamp graduates or "Learn on your Own" individuals. Later this was confirmed based on the code assessment test questions.

The website puts a statement that says to speed up the process you must complete the code assessment. This is true because several weeks went by and I did not receive any communication from staff. You are INVISIBLE until you complete the code skills test. I used the time to try to train for the code assessment after I saw a Big O Notation algorithm challenge in their demo Codility test.

WARNING: You MUST pass all four tasks in the Codility assessment portion of the interview. Also the level of difficulty was NOT entry level. The third or fourth task involved binary time gap and other madness. The first two of the four tasks weren't so bad but the last two ...I blanked.

The Big O Notation demo test ended up being a false alarm. In the real 4-part Codility assessment, they put a statement that says to focus on correctness and not performance.

Interview Questions

• Given a table invoice_items with the following structure, return a list of invoices:   1 Answer
    • Write function def solution(N,S) a non-empty string S = S[0] S[1] binary period of a positive integer. A positive integer M is the binary period of a positive integer N if M is the period of the binary representation of N.   1 Answer
    • def solution(N, S): given the number of rows N and a list of reserved seats as string S   1 Answer

Grant Street Group Response

Dec 13, 2017 – Human Resources Manager

We're sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy applying at GSG, and we wanted to further explain the reasoning behind our process. We include the coding challenge in our application because it lets... More

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Grant Street Group (New York, NY).

Interview

Complete waste of time. As soon as the interviewer saw me I received a smug grin, disinterested body language and he proceeded to pepper me with useless questions. He did all but tell me he didn't even want to interview me. Maybe I'm ugly.