Great Western Railway Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Great Western Railway Interview Questions

Interviews at Great Western Railway

3.1

Training Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Great Western Railway (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)) in January 2019.

Interview

it is full on, you have to do online tests, then tests at one interview and then a group discussion and then if you pass this a one on one.

Customer Service Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Great Western Railway (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)).

Interview

The Assessment was very unprofessional. The two ladies unprepared and clearly showing that they had the recommended by a staff candidates they were supposed to select. They were in a rush to finish the assessment for some reason and discarded the best candidates to keep the ones that have no idea what work as a team means. Very disappointing, frustrating and deeply sad experience. Disrespect is the word that better define the whole process.

Interview Questions

• Questions made and again, the two chosen candidates interfered all the time when a candidate was speaking. They acted in a very indelicate way, clearly showing that they do not know how to work as part of a team, but only individually.   1 Answer

Train Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Great Western Railway (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)) in January 2018.

Interview

Very drawn out. Apply online and complete online assessment. Two weeks later attend assessment centre in Swindon for tests. These are purely competence based and individual. Success with that then wait 6 weeks for second assessment day, again at Swindon. This time it's two group exercises observed by 6 managers. Begs the question "How many GWR guard managers does it take to make a decision"! Out of the 5 of us I believe 3 were employable, but they clearly had their eyes set on one person who fitted their pigeon-holed management style and took one person through to interview. Sadly this means that the rest of us are denied the opportunity to apply for "similar" positions for the next six months. I'm concerned that by their position as an "inclusive employer" GWR is taking forward to interview applicants that don't fit their demographics just to meet that requirement.

Train Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Great Western Railway.

Interview

First step being the online testing I found the hardest, the maths questions were crazy hard and I'm sure I guessed most of them.

If successful online you're invited to sit the 3part guards assessment testing some maths, verbal reasoning and concentration/ attention to detail. They send you practice papers for this which really help.

Final part being group assessment, in a medium sized group (we were 6) you are given two tasks, one a group discussion to pick one solution to a problem out of 4 given debating pros and cons the other a topic to talk about.

Those successful from this get an interview on the day and those not get sent home early.

I think it was a very fair process even though I wasn't successful and would gladly try again. The guards assessment is valid for 3years so if you get through to next stage you don't have to sit that again in that time which is great.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of how you've persuaded someone into your way of thinking.   1 Answer

Customer Service Host Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Great Western Railway (London, England (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

Had to complete some online tests, then a telephone interview and finally attend an assessment day. The process was quite tough but it moved along quite quickly and I was kept informed throughout so can't complain. This is the job I really want so I was quite happy with the process.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Great Western Railway.

Interview

Brilliant interview process. Take a fair amount of time considering its a large company and they keep you fully informed throughout. Overall i would say i was completely happy with the process through from the online test to the assessment day.

Customer Service Host Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Great Western Railway (Plymouth, England (UK)) in March 2012.

Interview

Interviewed by 3 people, all of which were friendly and made you feel at ease. Sat in a room on the station platform. Was asked about my background, what I could bring to the company. Several tests I had to do involving numeracy,

Interview Questions

• What skills and experience could I bring to their company.
      How do i cope under pressure   Answer Question

Customer Service Host Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Great Western Railway (London, England (UK)) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online and completed the assessment. I then received a few days later telling me that I needed to book a telephone interview as I had passed the application stage online and was on to the next stage. I did this and had a telephone interview a few weeks later which was very rushed by the interviewer who kept on interrupting me and reminding me I had to be quick with replies. In total honesty, I have passed telephone assessments with train companies that pay a much higher salary than these guys. They pay you about £20,000 to begin and then it goes up by a grand which for London is ridiculously low and exploitative given the cost of living there. I seriously don't know what they expect you to do but by god the interviewer was clearly of the "I'm alright jack mentality" and very judgemental making out that my past work experiences were nothing great even though I have had years of experience in this field. A very unprofessional approach used by this guy and I won't be applying here ever again.

Interview Questions

• Explain situations at work where you delivered great customer service and what it means to you   1 Answer

Customer Service Host Interview

Anonymous Employee in Stourbridge, England (UK)

Application

The process took 8+ weeks. I interviewed at Great Western Railway (Stourbridge, England (UK)).

Interview

It took 4 weeks , telephone interview, easy group assesment in Swindon and in 24 hours email invinting for interview in Paddington . Standard interview , examples about customer service, team , deal with a difficult customer etc

Interview Questions

• An example of when you had conflict at work   3 Answers

Customer Service Host Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at Great Western Railway (Swindon, Wiltshire, South West England, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Online application and questionnaire , then move on to telephone interview with basic customer service questions and if successful assessment centre and possible interview.
    Selection for interview is very poor and not done at all fairly.

Interview Questions

• What could you bring to the role?   3 Answers
    • Had 12 people on assessment day.
      Introduced each other.

Split into 3 groups and had one question each to answer between the 4 of us in each group and then present in front of others.
      One group pretty much used our answers to explain theirs even though the question was different which we were not happy with as we had plenty of answers and they only had basic ones but still stole ours anyway.
      Then had a "Survival" question where if we were on a boat what would we prioritise, upto 15 items that were on a sheet so had to speak. Only a few of us spoke up in that exercise. Taken back to main room and said about interviews.
      Only 2 girls went through which was very disappointing. Called them through then told rest of us unsuccessful. Not a very fair way of doing it. The one was a hairdresser who was just chatty all the way through and disputed everything yet seemed better than others who actually had knowledge. Other one had a mother who worked for them so got through on the family issue!   1 Answer