Green Hills Software Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 16, 2017

3.4

Senior Sales Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Green Hills Software (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I was introduced to the opportunity through a recruiter. I've been successful in the industry for many years; my background is an excellent fit for GreenHills.

I had a very good phone interview with Dave Chandler, GreenHills/Integrity CEO. This is evidenced by the fact that we agreed to our next step as a meeting for me with a high ranking member of his team. This team member was scheduled to be in the office local to me and my territory within the upcoming couple of weeks. During my interview, Dave quite obviously had LinkedIn open. At the end of our discussion, he read off the names of the founders of the company I was working for at the time. He mispronounced the name of one, so I knew they were not 'acquainted'. I mentioned that when we got to the reference stage, I would be happy to connect him with my manager. I conveyed that since I reported directly to him, my manager (who actually held a very high level title and role) would have much more specific knowledge of my skills. He had also been in many meetings with me, and had observed me in my work with customers.

My manager had recently left the company and had agreed to be a reference for me. His departure was a significant reason for my decision to look for a new position. (If you were to read between the lines - neither of us were happy in this company, so he left and I was looking!)

After a week without hearing from them, I followed up with both Dave Chandler and the Recruiter. The Recruiter told me that the Dave had gone silent on him as well.

Later, Dave and the Recruiter connected. However, the Recruiter was told that they were not going to move forward with me. Why? No reason given.

Shortly thereafter, I got confirmation that Dave had contacted my then current employer (one of the Founders), without my permission and through LinkedIn. The way I discovered this was my then current employer told me he knew I was looking for another job, how he knew this, and fired me.

Based on my experience, I believe the ethics here at GreenHills are very questionable. I've always been under the impression that contacting a current employer was considered a breach of trust in recruiting and job searches!

Oh, did I mention that I'm a woman? I can't be sure that this fact was related to Dave’s belief that him contacting my employer was in any way acceptable behavior. However, I just can't see him doing this same thing to a man.

Message to GreenHills Founder and President – I suggest you pay attention to my review and the reviews of the other women who've been on your sales team. There just might be something behind the claims of poor treatment of women. It might help you avoid an ‘Uber-like’ scandal. (Plus, I think I also saw references in GreenHills employee reviews on Glassdoor to nepotism in the Sales Department!)

To everyone else, including men - Beware of the backchannel reference!

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Green Hills Software (New York, NY).

Interview

This is an on-campus interview just after the school career fair. It is the first round of interview. It last for 40 minutes. After the interview, they asked me to send them a C++ code sample, and do an online test. The test is 90 minutes and has 25 multiple choice qusetions.

Interview Questions

• Have you done any project only because of your interest? (Not a course project or internship project)   Answer Question
    • Can you introduce one of your current project?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ithaca, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Green Hills Software (Ithaca, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

It's a campus recruiting event. Then I was selected for the information interview. After this one. They send me a link to their coding challenge. All multiple choice questions, quite a lot. Not too hard.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Green Hills Software in November 2015.

Interview

I applied on campus career fair. I got reply within one week. Then there was an on campus interview asking about previous coding experience. The interviewer was nice and chill. It lasts about half an hour. Then there was online test after that. There are 25 multi-choice questions. The questions were not that hard but it takes some time to finish them.

Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Green Hills Software.

Interview

Four steps to the process. (1) Phone interview with hiring manager, (2) homework explaining your understanding of the company, it's mission, products, and competitors, (3) power point presentation (remote), and finally (4) an in person interview in Santa Barbara, CA. I felt that some questions were irrelevant and the interview with the CEO was awkward. They seem to stick to an old sales model and not willing to innovate. However, product seems competitive and highly recommended for big deal/major projects, and the position has high earning potential. Very mature company and perfect for a seasoned veteran.

Field Services Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Green Hills Software (Santa Barbara, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Interviewing with Green Hills was easily the best interview process that I've gone through.

The first step of the interview process was an online test that I took at home. The questions weren't too bad, but I thought the timing was too short. I was given 90 minutes to complete it and could have used at least 180, so I ended up guessing on a lot of the questions. I guess I did OK though because I made it to the next step.

The second step was the in-person interviews where they flew me out to Santa Barbara for 3 nights. For me this was a very pampered process that included lots of great free food. (I don't think I paid for a single meal while I was there.) I had 2 technical interviews over the 3 days, and it was a very casual process. I wore flip flops and jeans for every interview, which the recruiter reassured me was fine.

The first technical interview was a coding assignment where I was given 6 hours to implement a program that performs the described task. To do so I was supplied a Linux computer that included a compiler, man pages, but no internet connection. I was given the option to implement the assignment in C, C++, or Java, and I was allowed to reference the supplied books for my chosen language. I expected this assignment to blow my mind and to not be able to finish it, given that GHS describes itself as elite programmers that "develop software that never fails and can't be hacked." It turned out that the assignment was do-able and I completed it with a little time to spare. (Although I ran out of time while I was trying to optimize it.)

The second technical interview was a debugging session where I was given a buggy program, a debugger, and in 2 hours I was told to fix the program in front of a GHS engineer. This was fairly straightforward as the bugs weren't too insidious.

Overall I found that interviewing with GHS was a very pleasant experience. I'm not sure you can describe interviewing as 'fun', but I think GHS is about as close as you can get. The people that I met at GHS were top-notch (both technically and personally), professional, kind, and seemed very genuine.

Interview Questions

• The coding assignment was the hardest part of the interview process, but I found it do-able in the time given.   Answer Question

The offer that GHS gave me was better than my other one, and the only reason that I turned it down was because I've wanted to work for the other company since I was a kid. I'm still not sure I made the right decision and may go running back to GHS before long!

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Green Hills Software (Santa Barbara, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

I am from out of town, so this was the experience from someone literally on the other side of the country.

It started with a phone interview to discuss background, technical experience and gauge personality. Then there was a 90-minute written test to verify CS competency (very difficult!) and a programming test that they allow 3 hours to complete (you can finish in 1-2 hours if you're skilled, but not more than 6 hours).

Then they flew me out to Santa Barbara and put me in the Harbor View Inn (very nice hotel right on the beach!) All expenses were paid by the company, including the hotel, all meals, taxi or rental car. They even gave me a nice care package with edibles when I arrived at the hotel. The whole trip requires about 4 days. The first day was just for settling in, adjusting for the time difference and seeing the city on my own.

The second day I went to the office and received a tour. It looked like a very geeky nerd-topia (which is awesome, in my book!) Everyone had 2-4 giant screens for their computers and there was low-level hardware and computer parts all over the place. You could tell that they hack this kind of stuff every day. After the tour 4 of us went out to lunch, including the exam proctor and two senior engineers. At the end of lunch they gave me a programming problem to solve for the afternoon. We went back to the office and I had 5.5 hours to hack away on it with no internet connection and no "cheating" other than the linux man-pages and some reference books. This was a very tough problem with no easy solution (but no details here, sorry!) and I really felt like it tested my abilities thoroughly. After the exam I was completely mentally drained, but then the proctor took me and another GHS employee out to dinner. This was hard being social after hacking for 5 hours on such a tough problem, but I did my best to forget about it and have a good time.

The third day the department head for which I was applying took me out to breakfast and then on a driving tour of Santa Barbara. Afterwards we went back to the office where I had a follow-up technical interview with a senior engineer where we discussed my solution to the programming problem from the day before. I did not receive any feedback on how well I scored, because presumably they were more interested in the way I solved it and how I worked through the challenges and how I used my time. This was very helpful, because it gave me a chance to demonstrate the way I thought about the problem and they didn't seem to care about the actual auto-grader score.

Then came the absolutely unbelievable part of the whole trip (if I didn't have pictures I would assume I dreamed it). After the final technical interview, the department head, who is also an amateur private airplane pilot, offered to take me up in the sky in his private plane as a final glamorous farewell to Santa Barbara. At first I declined because I'm terrified of small planes, but I knew it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity so I mustered my courage and agreed. What followed was one of the most memorable journeys of my life. Santa Barbara is a beautiful city, but you haven't fully experienced it until you see it from the sky! We flew along the coast to Carpinteria, then over the mountains to Santa Ynez before landing safely at the SB airport. It was absolutely one of the best experiences of my life. I guess this part of the recruiting process was not typical, because he told me he never even took another GHS employee with him in his plane, let alone a recruit, so I really felt special!

The 4th and final day was the return trip home.

With the rockstar treatment I received on the trip, I am only left wondering how they treat people they DO give offers to ;) In the end they left an indelible positive mark in my mind, and now all I dream about is living in Santa Barbara and working for GHS.

Interview Questions

• The final programming test was an extremely hard problem with NP complexity. I will not give details here because they obviously want that to be a surprise when you take the test.   Answer Question

Technical Writer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Green Hills Software.

Interview

Very thorough and clear in the communication about the process, from start to finish.
    The interview itself was nearly a full day of interviews and evaluations with various levels of staff at the company, plus lunch.

Interview Questions

• The final evaluation involved writing documentation for a process I was unfamiliar with, after viewing a presentation on it by an engineer.   Answer Question

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Green Hills Software.

Interview

Programming test covering basic CS fundementals, phone interview, on-site interview including a programming test in C.

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Green Hills Software (Santa Barbara, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

Phone interviews with hiring manager and VP Sales on different dates to start the process. If all goes well, on site interview with VP Sales, CEO, Engineering Manager, FAE Manager, Human Resources, and others, all day.

Interview Questions

• What is one weakness you had as a sales person and how did you over come this?   Answer Question