Group One Trading Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Group One Trading

3.1

Junior Trader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Group One Trading (Chicago, IL) in February 2009.

Interview

Super Friday. Live interviews on the CBOE during open outcry trading, 1:1 and group interviews, tons of math and statistics.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Group One Trading in October 2013.

Interview

Interviewed through a campus visit.
    Had additional phone interview as well. The interview process was very direct and didn't not hide the amount of coffee runs and food runs an intern would be making. It was mostly case based and the interviewer was most interested in the resume. There were a good deal of probability questions and questions about the difficulty of your class load.

Interview Questions

• Would you rather have a lottery ticket with a 1/100 chance of winning a million dollars or 100 lottery tickets with a 1/100 chance of winning 10,000 dollars?   2 Answers

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Group One Trading (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Very professional during the interview and after the process as well. I found out about the company and them taking applications through my university. They were quick getting back to me, compared to other internships I applied for.

Interview Questions

• If you were to play an NBA player would you rather play him one time three or five times? Why?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not negotiate.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Group One Trading (Chicago, IL) in January 2014.

Interview

Two phone interviews. Primarily behavioral in nature. There were some math and probability questions. Know the probability of dice rolls and EV type questions. Also know simple two-digit multiplication and division. It seems that there summer interns take an operational role at the firm, should be a good learning experience to prepare me for future jobs.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Group One Trading (Chicago, IL) in November 2017.

Interview

The HR manager was very friendly and opened up the interview with cordial conversation. Not a lot of brainteasers, mostly technical and behavioral "fit" questions. This might be due to the fact I am part of my university's trading program that lets me communicate directly with the company staff.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Group One Trading (Chicago, IL) in March 2013.

Interview

First interview is analytical, second is more personality based. Be sure to prepare your mental math skills. If you don't know the answer try to work through it out loud, they are more interested in your thought process. Don't be afraid to ask questions or clarification. They will ask why you are interested in trading in general. Be sure to emphasize a competitive nature and ability to learn.

I had one interview over the phone and two in person.

Interview Questions

• What is the square root of 490?   1 Answer
    • Would you rather play Lebron James 1-on-1 one time or 7 times?
      What about if you were playing me? [the Interviewer]   1 Answer
    • What is 15/16 as a decimal?   1 Answer
    • How many ping pong balls can fit in a Boeing 747?   1 Answer
    • What is 23 x 57?   1 Answer

Trader Interview

Interview

Did two rounds of interviews, first round had some technical questions, the second round was completely fit / understanding questions. It was overall very relaxed, and I was told a week after the second interview that I got the intern position.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between prop trading and other forms of trading?   Answer Question
    • What is the probability that the first dice roll will be bigger than the second one?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Group One Trading (San Francisco, CA) in June 2009.

Interview

First phone interviewer asked me to read a book about how traders are bad people. The second phone interviewer asked what I thought of the book. I'm not sure what I was supposed to say -- I disagree? I understand that traders are bad people and I still want the job? The book basically talked me out of wanting this position.

Interview Questions

• Find the coin that weighs more (8 coins, using a balance)   Answer Question

Trading Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Group One Trading (Chicago, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

Submitted resume on campus, got a call-back a couple of days later. Had one interview with an HR person, half behavioral, half numbers. Behavioral is your standard trading interview, why do you want to be a trader, what makes you interested in trading etc. Numbers was straightforward mental math that anyone should get with moderate practice

Interview Questions

• Expected value of a game where heads and tails are worth certain amounts and you flip several times.   Answer Question

Trading Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Group One Trading (New York, NY) in March 2018.

Interview

Probability based. Sit in a room with two people and one asks you probability and market making questions while the other examines your mannerisms. Its to test the quickness of your mind, accuracy, and how you respond in tough, time sensitive situations

Interview Questions

• what is the probability of flipping heads 4 times in a row? whats the prob of flipping HTHT? are they the same?
      Various prob and MM questions   Answer Question