Group One Trading Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Benjamin Londergan

1. "Awesome place to work!"

Former Employee - Internship in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Internship in Naperville, IL

I worked at Group One Trading (Less than a year)

Pros

High Compensation
    Excellent Training
    Great Culture

Cons

High stress
    Fast work environment

"Fun and challenging, but senior management was a bit sketchy"

Former Employee - Options Trader in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Options Trader in New York, NY

I worked at Group One Trading full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun group of guys who know how to have fun at work while still giving it their all. Nice change from a corporate environment.

Cons

Very competitive and somewhat territorial.

Advice to Management

Management isn't very transparent with their decisions, and they don't communicate enough with their employees.

"Group One Failed to Adapt to Current Times"

Former Employee - Trader Trainee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Trader Trainee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Group One Trading full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They take the time to train you

Cons

Its actually not profitable to be a equity options market maker anymore. Bid ask has shrunk to nothing and this firm uses a delta neutral strategy. They actually hit you with a 200k pnl bill after you start for training costs before you can start making a percentage of your pnl. I was fortunetly let go and retooled as a credit trader. I don't really see a future for companies like as the market has become very efficient and order driven.

Advice to Management

Pack it up, you've had a very good run Ben.

4. "Great work environment; progressive and challenging firm; no frills office."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Group One Trading full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Highly motivated, intelligent and collaborative colleagues. From my past experience, most trading and development environments are stocked with smart folks that have giant egos but somehow Group One managed to avoid employing this type of employee. Developers and traders are all very high achievers, many are been with the firm for more than 5-10 years and a handful of the 2-5 year traders are very successful. The dress code is quite casual, there are regular poker games and ping pong games after the market closes. Most employees have been with the Group One for many years, so the environment is fairly stable.

Cons

There were some lean times a few years back but things have seemed to stabilize and quite a few new employees have been hired and some former employees have rejoined the firm. The firms results are volatile but I suspect that is largely due to macroeconomic and industry trends. Our office is a bit of a dump and could use a little renovation, but the location is great.

Advice to Management

We like the communication of firm results – keep it up. Please try to diversify and reduce the volatility of the revenue stream. And a new office would be nice.

"Hard Work Not Recognized"

Current Employee - Ops Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Ops Associate in Chicago, IL

Pros

-Opportunity to make a lot of money at a young age
    -very relaxed environment. It's a fun place to work most days
    -Senior Management for the most part is very friendly and approachable
    -I was rejected as a full-time trainee (I was hired on as an intern after I graduated) but I was hired as a full-time ops person with the idea that I could try to be a trainee again in a year or so.

Cons

-New employees are treated like pledges in a fraternity by even the lowest people on the totem pole (HR, compliance, etc.). I understand having to earn my stripes and impress the traders and my managers, but when, from day one, I have more responsibility than people who have been there for years, I'm not okay with them treating me like garbage.

-Way to Much emphasis placed on "do what I say, not as I do" managers are lazy and shirk responsibility.

-The best and brightest come here from the best schools in the country (Stanford, Northwestern, Kelley School of Business, MIT) and are relegated to perform menial tasks in the ops department while learning almost nothing about trading. It's no wonder that only 10% to 20% of trainees make it to become traders.

-I worked incredibly hard as an intern to become a full-time trainee (they routinely hire college grads and interns with the idea that they can become "permanent" employees in a few months) but was rejected as a full time trainee. I understand that I may not have the intelligence or background as most trainees (I went to a well known public school with an awesome business school but was unable to get in) but I want it more than the other guys and did better in ops than they did. This makes me not want to do quality work since apparently it has no impact on the ability to become a trader.

Advice to Management

-I appreciate that you gave me a chance to reapply as a trainee while keeping me at the company, but I don't understand why trainees are basically full-time ops people. Day to day, I do the exact same thing as trainees except they do mock trading for an hour every afternoon. If only 1 or 2 out of 10 top graduates from the best schools can make it to actually begin trading, there is something wrong with the program. Hire ops people to be ops people and trainee traders to learn about trading.

"Better than nothing"

Current Employee - Trader Trainee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Trader Trainee in Chicago, IL

Pros

-good name in options trading
    -friendly, laid-back employees for the most part
    -fun work environment (people tell jokes to reduce stress)
    -senior management doesn't act any differently than other employees

Cons

-management on the ops side rules by fear and places too much emphasis in appearing constructive and calm where conversations can be recorded (email, instant message, etc.) and not enough on verbal conversations where excessive yelling is commonplace

-training program has a 10-20% retention rate, which is extraordinarily low for an established prop firm and speaks to the quality of the teaching

-Look for strange qualities in their clerks, including laziness (management would rather tell someone to do something than that person taking the initiative), getting frazzled for making mistakes and when things are hectic (I got yelled at multiple times for being too calm), not asking questions (the trainees who asked the most questions got yelled at the most)

-company trades very specific product in a very specific way, this lack of diversification will ultimately be there downfall and a reason why the company has reduced its headcount by over 50% in the last couple years

Advice to Management

Overall I feel that there is too much emphasis on WHAT is being said instead of what management actually EXPECTS. If you want new employees to "show up, don't ask questions, only do tasks that you know how to do, and generally be as invisible as possible" that's fine, but don't tell new employees to "be over-communicative, take the initiative, ask as many questions as possible." This leads to resentment and frustration for all parties involved. If you have a belief about something, have the courage to speak freely regardless of who can hear/see your conversation.

7. "Overall a good firm and good corporate culture, but there are some deficiencies in management on the trading side."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

Good work/life balance, quality work environment, hard workers are appropriately recognized, small firm without the bureaucracy of a bigger company, some great Operations managers.

Cons

Upper management has had a lack of foresight in the past, and failed to properly position the firm for imminent changes in the options industry.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more -- there are people with great ideas that could help the firm avoid repeating past mistakes.

8. "G1 Chicago"

Former Employee - Equity Derivatives Trader in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Equity Derivatives Trader in Chicago, IL

Pros

awesome work environment... pretty laid back, good hours, fun coworkers (miss those guys)
    dress code I wore polos and sneakers every day (some days casual jean days at CBOE)
    pretty flat company structure, not a lot of the bs like other places
    technology was pretty impressive, comp seems in line with other firms
    trading was starting to come back, the days of 100k day trading
    good access to products

Cons

feel like firm goals did not line up with my goals
    too many employees for the size of our trading staff
    communication

Advice to Management

just talk to your traders more frequently
    started to work on communication issues but still have work to do there

"Beware"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Group One has a casual dress, nice, fun co workers (non management). Interesting industry, beer on tap and a ping pong table.

Cons

Company is losing money and can not seem to fix the problem. Senior management rules by keeping support staff scared for their jobs at all times. New employees are treated like pledges in a fraternity. Turnover rate is insane for this type of company, even when it was profitable. Trader count is half what it once was with 5 traders leaving in May 2010. There was a major lay-off of support staff in April 2010. Trader compensation formula recently changed so traders receive much smaller percentage then before. Employee morale is so low it is hard to believe anyone shows up in the mornings.

Advice to Management

Show some loyalty to your employees and they will show some to you. Get a real strategy to return to profitability that took more then 5 minutes to develop. You have ruined what used to be an enjoyable and profitable place to work.

"Review"

Former Employee - Equity Derivatives Trader in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Equity Derivatives Trader in New York, NY

Pros

-Good Work Hours
    -Relaxed Dress Code

Cons

-Firm is struggling to adapt in the new economic climate
    -Weak Management

Advice to Management

Management needs to think more about the top-down decisions it makes in regard to firm strategy before placing all the blame on junior staff.