Grubhub Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Grubhub Interview Questions

Updated Sep 20, 2017

2.6

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grubhub.

Interview

Started by applying on their website, then had an informational phone interview followed by an additional phone interview and a personality assessment. Final in person interview at the office downtown.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Grubhub (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

The first contact was with the internal recruiter, who really impressed me with all of her in-depth questions about my background what technologies I have used in the past. The next step was a phone screen, which was 50% about my background and 50% coding. The problem was pretty straight forward.

I was then invited to the on-site interview. One session was OOP design and algo. I felt the OOP was pretty open ended, but the algorithm question was quite challenging. I couldn't find the optimal data structures for the problem. The second session was another coding session. I should have been able to answer that question fairly easily, but still, I struggled. I guess I was having a bad day. Another session was a system design question which I found very interesting and fun to answer. The last session was behavioral, which was mostly about my background. The other reviewers are right, the interview questions are great because they are based on real problems that GrubHub has had to solve.

Overall, I got a very good impression of the company. It looks like they have a lot of smart and down to earth people working there. And it looks like they are solving interesting problems with really cutting edge technologies.

While I'm disappointed that I didn't get an offer, I totally understand why I didn't get one, and I would absolutely re-apply given the chance.

Customer Care Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grubhub (Austin, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

My interview was in office with One in person and one via video chat. It seemed very casual and relaxed with simple questions. My interview was running about 10-15 minutes behind.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your previous manager.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Grubhub (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The interview process was pretty standard. Applied online (also could have applied through my university's career fair) and that was followed by an on campus interview. On campus interview consisted of probably 30 minutes of typical behavioral questions followed by a coding challenge that I worked through with the interviewer. The next step was an on site interview day. There I had a more challenging algorithm design question and also an architecture design question. One thing I liked about the questions asked during the on site interview was they were related to the business itself (rather than just asking you to regurgitate Djikstra's or something).

Interview Questions

• Don't really remember specifically what questions I was asked   Answer Question

Tech Lead Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Grubhub (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Process involved an initial discussion with the manager who was looking to hire, followed by a series of in-person interviews with resources at the company. Most of the interviews were around technical design and architecture, with some focus on concrete coding.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage a High-concurrency data need in a microservices environment, given an atomic data point that is read/updated on a consistently massive basis.   Answer Question

Office Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Grubhub (Austin, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

Applied through Muse, I was contacted a few days later to setup interview. A day before the interview the time was changed and we reconfirmed on new day/time. Day of confirmed interview, I never received a call from Grubhub and followed-up and no reply.

Java Team Lead Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Grubhub (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I was contacted by a staffing Agency for this role and after I submitted my resume soon the Phone screen was Scheduled. Phone interview was for 30 mins with a Director to know more about my Background and the projects that I had worked on. After that I was called for an onsite interview. The interview consisted of 3 rounds. Initial coding and 2 rounds of Architecture with Senior Manager and Directors. Everything was a positive experience until this point where in I got to meet very nice people who were polite and professional.

After that I was again called for an onsite round to meet with a VP. This is the only time when I had the negative experience in the whole interview process. The VP arrived 15 mins late and did not even introduce him formally nor did he apologize for coming in late. He started chatting without asking me about my professional summary. While I was responding he was typing in his phone for initial 5 mins and was not paying attention. Then he asked me the question "Tell me what are you good at" and started asking very low Technical questions. He asked 4-5 questions and stopped after 20 mins with still 20 mins to spare. After a few days got to know from the Staffing Agency that they will be moving with another candidate.

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Grubhub (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

A friend referred me for the position and a recruiter reached out to me. The recruiter asked me over the phone about my career path, goals, and technical skills. She told me a lot about the company. Then I interviewed with the lead for one team, and the role was more data engineering than business analysis and I think we both sensed that it wasn't a good fit. The recruiter reached out again and said the guy with whom I interviewed recommended me for another position. I interviewed with someone else, and I think it went better, but then the recruiter told me I would not receive an offer. Everyone with whom I spoke was courteous and smart.

Interview Questions

• How would you go about modeling something?   1 Answer

Online Restaurant Sales Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Grubhub (New York, NY).

Interview

The process took about 3 weeks all together. I applied online and then received an email from HR to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty basic and just went into detail about the position and asked about my interest in Grubhub. The HR woman was extremely friendly and personable. The next step was to complete an online personality assessment and then the same HR woman reached out to me to set up an in person interview at the office. I interviewed with two managers at the same time in a conference room. It was extremely laid back and felt more like a conversation. They were really nice and easy to talk to. I heard back a day later with the job offer and was more than happy to accept. The office is very cool/modern looking and the the people I have met so far have been great.

Interview Questions

• Why Grubhub?   Answer Question
    • How would you explain Grubhub to someone who has never heard of it   1 Answer
    • How would you display a sense of urgency to a customer/ how have you done this in previous roles?   Answer Question
    • What are your hobbies   Answer Question

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Application

I interviewed at Grubhub in June 2017.

Interview

Contacted via Hired.com to interview for Data Scientist position. Did not apply for this position. Had three phone interviews to tell me that I am best suited for a Data Analyst position. Spoke with the team lead; interview went well. Team lead even said that I was considered for face-to-face interview, and should here about the details within a week. However, didn't here back from the recruiter(s). Had to email the recruiter twice to receive feedback. Eventually received feedback that they were moving forward with a "candidate that was more aligned to the team needs." Interview was a waist of time, but I was fully warned by the prior reviews here on Glassdoor.