HOK Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 13, 2018

2.9

Structural Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HOK (Atlanta, GA) in April 2018.

Interview

First had a phone interview a few months after I submitted my resume on their website, then after a quick phone interview I interviewed with two people in their office. I guess they were both managers for the group, they hadn’t seen my resume even though I had already interviewed over the phone the week before, must’ve been a third manager. The interview was very dry and formal, I did most of the talking and lead the interview, one didn’t talk at all except ask about my years of experience which was on my resume already. The other excused himself due to a phone call and left. I didn’t get any information about the current or upcoming projects or what the expectations were for the position. The phone interview was short but positive and well planned but the office interview was not the same. They walked me to the open area where the engineers sat but everyone was busy or on the phone and didn’t acknowledge us. Small group of maybe 8 or 10 only and that was a shock to me given the large scale projects listed on their website.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years?   1 Answer

Entry Level Structural Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HOK (New York, NY) in February 2018.

Interview

Had a preliminary skype interview. Then had an in-person interview where I took an exam and discussed my resume. The interview process is very unorganized. They don't tell you who you are meeting with. I met with 2 random employees who were not the people from the skype interview and therefore I had to re-explain my entire resume/background. Also, they spend more time administering/discussing the exam than actually speaking about the company itself and why we might be a good fit. It felt like a critique instead of a discussion. Also, they didn't give a tour of the office. This is an automatic thumbs down.

Interview Questions

Interview

It was a group interview with the entire team, so I was able to meet everyone and felt a part of the group. They asked great questions, and I had a good amount of time there.

Design Professional Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HOK (Washington, DC) in October 2017.

Interview

Met with two principals in the office. Both were very nice but it was definitely a formal interview process - not many jokes or friendly conversation. Most of the interview was presenting my portfolio (they really emphasize on their website and during the interview scheduling process that the ability to concisely and coherently present your projects is the most important part of the interview process). They asked a lot of questions - why did you do this? Why didn't you do that? Did you think about doing it like this instead? Etc. Felt like being back in a studio defense in some ways. Then they talked about the firm, allowed me to ask any questions, and gave a tour of the office.

Despite being assured I would hear back by the end of the following week, I had to reach out to the firm and they said they were "still in the process of deciding" but would let me know ASAP and then I never heard anything back from them again. I find it unreasonable that a firm can't/won't keep candidates who have come in for an interview up to date on the status of the position. It seems simple enough to send out a quick, generic email stating that they have decided to go with someone else. The lack of communication is ten times more upsetting than not receiving an offer - I find it incredibly rude and unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• They asked to discuss and explain all projects in my portfolio.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at HOK (Washington, DC) in September 2017.

Interview

The interviewer was not very engaging or friendly. It was a little intimidating. But they did seem interested when I showed them some of my work. But the rest of the staff was very friendly.

Sustainable Design Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at HOK in August 2017.

Interview

The position I interviewed for was in another city so they had me go to the local office to do a video conference call. They asked my about my experience and projects on my resume like normal interviews. The description of the role listed a lot of sustainability/energy analysis skills/knowledge that I do have, but it seems like they only care about whether or not you have worked on any LEED projects. They kept asking (like 3 times within 30 minutes) me if I had any sort of LEED experience which I told them at the very beginning that it is not something that I have worked on directly but do have knowledge in. I talked about my other projects, which many hiring managers at other firms have expressed how impressive those were, but the two people interviewed me just gave me blank faces pretty much the entire process. In the end they said one of the team members would contact me about the decision and they didn't. It was just an automatic email saying we will notify you if we decide to hire you and that was it.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at HOK (Saint Louis, MO) in March 2017.

Interview

Face to face interview during the career fair. Browsing over the portfolio. You need to walk through your portfolio and explain things in detail. So be very clear about what you did and why you did that.

Interior Design Librarian Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at HOK (Washington, DC) in January 2017.

Interview

I got recommended from a recent hired employee at Hok. She then ask me to submit an online application. It took 1 week for Hok to reply back and ask me to come in for an interview. After the interview i got the offer 1 week later.

Interview Questions

• What is your previous work experience with design?   1 Answer

Receptionist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HOK.

Interview

Typical Interview. They simply asked about questions relating to your experience and job applied for. Interviewed with HR and Manager. Interview took about 2 weeks and I came in a total of 2 times.

Project Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HOK (New York, NY).

Interview

Review of CV, portfolio, and relevant job experience. Good overview of HOK approach to design process. DIscussed questions regarding role and how previous experience could be applied within team structure.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in HOK?   1 Answer