Hachette Book Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 2, 2016

2.8

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Hachette Book Group (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Process took about a month and a half start to finish. Applied online, followed up with a brief phone interview with an in-house recruiter. Went in for an in-person interview and met with the two executives looking for the assistant. They intended the interview to be 2-on-1 but due to meetings I had two separate 1-on-1s. They asked standard questions about my experience, why I was interested in the job, how I handle curve balls, etc.

Contact Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lebanon, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Hachette Book Group (Lebanon, IN) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online through their website. I was called for an interview the next day and interviewed a couple days later. I thought the interview went well as I was more prepared then the interviewer it seemed. My qualifications were on point with the position, but I was sent a rejection message the day after the interview.

Sales Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Hachette Book Group (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

After applying online, I was contacted by HR to schedule a 30 minute phone interview. My interviewer spent the first half asking detailed questions about my background and qualifications. Then he brought up compensation. I gave a range and he indicated the role "might" be low ball compared to my (average!) range request. He said he'd have to confirm the details with the hiring manager; he was not 100% positive. He then abruptly (rather rudely) hustled me off the phone without sharing anything about the role or letting me ask him any questions.
    I had to repeatedly follow up with him to confirm I was no longer a candidate. After not getting back to me for 2 weeks, he brushed me off for an additional 2 by claiming the hiring manager was on vacation. Overall very negative experience with a rude tone set by HR.

Interview Questions

• Give me a summary of your background.
      Why do you want to leave your current employer?
      What makes someone successful in the role you currently have?
      What do you like best at your current job?
      Why are you interested in this role?
      What level are your Excel skills at?
      Answer Question

Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Hachette Book Group (Boston, MA) in July 2016.

Interview

Brief phone screening, followed by a one hour interview with both the manager and VP of the department (at the same time). The VP took the lead while the manager asked a few questions.

Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Hachette Book Group (New York, NY).

Interview

My interviewer was late to come and greet me in the lobby of the office, but once they finally arrived we established a good rapport. The interview took place in a frosted-glass sort of conference room, and we were interrupted at one point by an employee looking to use the room—something about reservation confusion. I mention these hiccups because they were the more jarring parts of an otherwise friendly interview.

Interview Questions

• How has your experience prepared you for the intensely deadline-driven work and long hours required of this position?   Answer Question

Principal Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hachette Book Group (Boston, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

Feckless, incompetent and a complete waste of time. The director of operations inserted himself into the interview process despite being neither in the chain of command nor the hiring manager or having any background in Network Design Engineering.

Interview Questions

• So... you open a browser and click on a Web site. Tell me about what takes place?   Answer Question

Digital Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hachette Book Group in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online, heard about 2 months later. Had two phone interviews. The first was with a high level management, the second with my direct manager. The actual interview was mostly behavioral with a run through of my resume included.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Hachette Book Group (New York, NY) in December 2015.

Interview

Had a pleasant HR call and was asked to come in an interview. The team was very upfront about what they expected and required and I appreciated their honesty because it seemed liked a great deal of work. What I did not anticipate was being low-balled on the salary; it was the lowest salary I had seen in my search and in the lowest percentile for skilled workers ( it is not a good way to attract talent) Though I liked the team, I was expecting to be offered something that was fair salary wise and in addition, I was asked to come in for another interview which was not very considerate of my time and schedule. If you know what you are worth in the free market, fight for yourself!

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      Why did you apply to this job?
      2 Answers

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hachette Book Group (Boston, MA) in December 2015.

Interview

The interview was by phone and lasted about 20 minutes. It was basically your standard interview. The recruiter who interviewed me asked me why I felt I was qualified for the job and what customer service experience I had that would be useful to the company.

Interview Questions

• "Why do you want to work in publishing? What makes you think that you'd be a good fit?"   Answer Question

Fulfillment Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Hachette Book Group (Boston, MA) in November 2015.

Interview

Two part interview, met with human resources manager and hiring manager. Was asked questions regarding how I demonstrated various qualities during my previous positions. They emphasized having good Excel skills as key to success in the role. Had the role explained in greater detail and was briefly shown around the office. Both were pleasant to talk to and the interview went fairly smoothly.

Interview Questions

• Was asked about a few questions about situations in the past where I'd demonstrated XYZ qualities. They emphasize being able to multi-task and adapt to a fast-paced environment.   Answer Question