Hachette Book Group Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 10, 2017

2.7

Assistant Production Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hachette Book Group (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Within ten days, I was contacted to arrange a phone interview. The phone interview was quite easy. However, they told the salary. It is quite low for NYC. It's the lowest I have come across for this entry-level position. $34K I took a skills test and after that was eliminated. I understand the need to know Track/Changes in Word. I did that. But they really need to rethink the paper test. It required downloading, markup, scanning and then emailing back. Scanning picks up erasures too easily.

Interview Questions

• What kind of books have you read lately? Describe a typical day? What made you consider Hachette?   1 Answer

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hachette Book Group (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

I was contacted for an interview by the recruiter. She was great. I then had an informal phone conversation. After that, I was then asked to come in for a formal interview.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Hachette Book Group (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Simple, first interview with an HR person, the second with the department head. They were both over the phone, and after the first interview they asked to set up the second about a week later. They took 4 weeks to reach out with their decision after the interviews

Interview Questions

• They asked mostly about past experience/why you wanted the job   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Hachette Book Group (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

Process took about a month and a half start to finish. Applied online, followed up with a brief phone interview with an in-house recruiter. Went in for an in-person interview and met with the two executives looking for the assistant. They intended the interview to be 2-on-1 but due to meetings I had two separate 1-on-1s. They asked standard questions about my experience, why I was interested in the job, how I handle curve balls, etc.

Contact Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lebanon, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Hachette Book Group (Lebanon, IN) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online through their website. I was called for an interview the next day and interviewed a couple days later. I thought the interview went well as I was more prepared then the interviewer it seemed. My qualifications were on point with the position, but I was sent a rejection message the day after the interview.

Sales Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Hachette Book Group (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

After applying online, I was contacted by HR to schedule a 30 minute phone interview. My interviewer spent the first half asking detailed questions about my background and qualifications. Then he brought up compensation. I gave a range and he indicated the role "might" be low ball compared to my (average!) range request. He said he'd have to confirm the details with the hiring manager; he was not 100% positive. He then abruptly (rather rudely) hustled me off the phone without sharing anything about the role or letting me ask him any questions.
    I had to repeatedly follow up with him to confirm I was no longer a candidate. After not getting back to me for 2 weeks, he brushed me off for an additional 2 by claiming the hiring manager was on vacation. Overall very negative experience with a rude tone set by HR.

Interview Questions

• Give me a summary of your background.
      Why do you want to leave your current employer?
      What makes someone successful in the role you currently have?
      What do you like best at your current job?
      Why are you interested in this role?
      What level are your Excel skills at?   Answer Question

Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Hachette Book Group (Boston, MA) in July 2016.

Interview

Brief phone screening, followed by a one hour interview with both the manager and VP of the department (at the same time). The VP took the lead while the manager asked a few questions.

Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Hachette Book Group (New York, NY).

Interview

My interviewer was late to come and greet me in the lobby of the office, but once they finally arrived we established a good rapport. The interview took place in a frosted-glass sort of conference room, and we were interrupted at one point by an employee looking to use the room—something about reservation confusion. I mention these hiccups because they were the more jarring parts of an otherwise friendly interview.

Interview Questions

• How has your experience prepared you for the intensely deadline-driven work and long hours required of this position?   Answer Question

Principal Network Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Hachette Book Group (Boston, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

Feckless, incompetent and a complete waste of time. The director of operations inserted himself into the interview process despite being neither in the chain of command nor the hiring manager or having any background in Network Design Engineering.

Interview Questions

• So... you open a browser and click on a Web site. Tell me about what takes place?   Answer Question

Digital Sales Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hachette Book Group in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online, heard about 2 months later. Had two phone interviews. The first was with a high level management, the second with my direct manager. The actual interview was mostly behavioral with a run through of my resume included.