Half Price Books Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.2

Sort:

Warehouse Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Half Price Books (Dallas, TX).

Interview

The interview process was really straightforward. No intimidation or pressure whatsoever. Just some general questions about your job experience. A supervisor will usually be the person interviewing you. They have a good sense of hiring friendly and good working people. You start the whole process by applying online when they have an opening available.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frisco, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Half Price Books (Frisco, TX).

Interview

Very casual interview, only took about 20 minutes. I interviewed with the manager and assistant manager at the same time, both very nice guys. The interview took place in a small and cramped office in the back. They asked the basic questions about my previous work experience and about my personal hobbies.

They told me about the hours and benefits which seem good. The pay starts out at minimum wage and the job seems physically and mentally demanding. You are more than just a bookseller/cashier, there's some janitorial work involved too and also a lot of heavy lifting. I wish they would have told me this before I came in for the interview.

Interview Questions

Wasn't willing to do janitorial work and heavy lifting.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Half Price Books (Austin, TX).

Interview

Responded to craigslist add and applied. Interviewed for a new store location in Austin, TX. Met at home office in north Austin since the new location was not open yet. Interviewed with store manager and an assistant manager who had both been at the company a long time. Store manager had visible piercings/tattoos and pink hair so they are okay with self expression in the form of appearance, which is cool (yay Austin). Interview lasted about 30 minutes. They didn't hire me initially, but got an offer about 2 weeks after they had selected first choice candidates. Typical interview questions, nothing too daunting.

Interview Questions

• If you were asked to capture 100 butterflies, how would you go about accomplishing that task?   1 Answer

There was no way I could possibly live on $8/hr working 40 hours per week. I have a 4 year degree and live alone. This would be okay for someone who doesn't mind living with several roommates or is married to someone with decent income. Otherwise the job was very appealing to me, but I was forced to decline b/c of the pay thing. Even $10/hr would have been better.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomingdale, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Half Price Books (Bloomingdale, IL) in February 2013.

Interview

The interview consisted of your basic interview questions. Describe a situation where you had to deal with a difficult co-worker, etc. Ended the interview with a goofy question, "What super power do you wish had and how would you use it?"

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you improved or streamlined an already existing system.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Half Price Books (Houston, TX) in May 2008.

Interview

The application is lengthy but don't blow it off. Most of the applications make it seem like people expect to be thrown a job. think about the questions before answering because it makes the difference between getting an interview.
    During the interview try to push customer service and sales like mostvretailers but make sure you stand out as an individual because that is what the company looks for.

Interview Questions

• what have you been critized about by previous employers?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They have their set wages and benefits.

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Half Price Books (Cincinnati, OH) in July 2009.

Interview

I had 2 interview- one witha manager and assistant mangaer, and the 2nd one was with a panel of 4 employees.

Interview Questions

• Do you have any experience in the book industry?   1 Answer
    • Would you have any problem lifting a certain amount of weight? (Customers bring in boxes of books to sell)   1 Answer

Negotiation

not negotiable

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Half Price Books (Chicago, IL) in May 2010.

Interview

Applied in-store, but I don't think that affected anything since the manager was not there to accept the application - I just handed it to a bookseller. Received call setting up interview within 2 weeks of submitting application. The interview was with the store manager and assistant manager. Easy interview, mostly talked about customer service/experience and books/media/etc. Very laid back atmosphere, the SM and ASM were not dressed up at all. Was called with offer (minimum wage is standard) within a week.

Interview Questions

• They asked a few odd questions, like "if you were a shoe, what shoe would you be?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation, minimum wage (maybe +$0.25) is standard, take it or leave it. benefits are included though which is a big selling point.

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Half Price Books (Austin, TX) in June 2013.

Interview

Was referred by an employee. Set up a time with a manager for an in person interview which consisted of the store manager and one assistant manager. Very friendly and non-confrontational, they asked questions that were relevant to the retail/bookstore landscape and didn't throw any curveballs. Having experience in the field is a plus, and having knowledge of the chain as a customer also seems to impress when you are in the hot seat.

Interview Questions

• What difficulties did you have in working with your last manager?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Half Price Books in September 2010.

Interview

Just your standard interview--usually involving the store manager and asst. store manager. they usually go over your application and ask questions about why you want to work there, etc. No big whup. My advice would be to get a couple of applications, answer all the questions coherently. answer them fully, and make neat and clean copies, then hit all the local stores that would be convenient for you. If you have half a brain, you should do okay.

Negotiation

Um, when can you start? that's about it.

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Half Price Books.

Interview

Applied online, and about a week later they called me back asking me if i wanted to interview. Questions were mostly focused on customer service and team work dynamics. They asked whether i preferred to work independently or if i worked better with people etc. asked a few basic percentage questions for bookselling/buying