Half Price Books Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Half Price Books Interview Questions

Interviews at Half Price Books

2.2

Bookseller Interview

Interview

Applied online, basic stuff plus a few questions like “what type of books do you enjoy”, stopped in person to drop off resume. They seemed annoyed I took the Initiative. Completely ghosted. No response.

Warehouse Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Half Price Books.

Interview

Straight Forward interview. With question about experience a previous places of employment and standard behavioral based questions in how you deal with certain situations. Then went in to detail about the company and the operation.

Book Seller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Half Price Books (San Antonio, TX) in August 2018.

Interview

I applied online TWICE for two different posted full time positions. I also applied in person at another location for a position that had not been posted yet. For the online applications, I received no notification that the job had been filled. After only 24-48 hours of it being posted. I only found out because I called. I had an interview on the spot at the location that I filled out a paper application. She seemed very encouraging that I would be getting another interview/notified when the position opened up. That was on a Wednesday. The position was posted Thursday night. The manager never called so I decided to call the following Tuesday. Oh, the position had already been filled. Not sure if they just hire friends of employees or what... But they are super distasteful when they cannot even notify that a position has been filled or even that you did not get an interview. I will not be applying again. Also just an FYI, since the positions are posted on so many sites online they get at the least around 500 applications that they don't event print out all of them. Thanks. Thanks a lot. That's why I was told to fill out an entire application BY HAND with short answer questions on it.

Interview Questions

• what do you think you will be doing at half price books? What do you think the environment is like?   1 Answer

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Half Price Books.

Interview

I applied online and was called back for an interview at one location. I wasn't accepted at the first location, but they passed off my resume to another nearby store, where I interviewed and was offered a job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Half Price Books (Cincinnati, OH) in February 2018.

Interview

The interview process was fairly laid back and simple. I had fun with my two interviewers, they ask a lot of fun questions and its not stressful at all. The two ladies that interviewed me made me want to work there even more than I did before!!

Warehouse Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Half Price Books (Dallas, TX).

Interview

The interview process was really straightforward. No intimidation or pressure whatsoever. Just some general questions about your job experience. A supervisor will usually be the person interviewing you. They have a good sense of hiring friendly and good working people. You start the whole process by applying online when they have an opening available.

Interview Questions

• What are your favorite books?
      Are you a team player?   1 Answer

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Half Price Books.

Interview

Applied online, had to chase the application up twice. Had i not done this i think i would not have been interviewed. I was called back for an interview, and then for a second one (i think 2 interview are unnecessary at the best of times, but most definitely unnecessary for a position like this) i was then offered a position a day or 2 later

Interview Questions

• Name the last book you read   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Half Price Books (Austin, TX) in November 2017.

Interview

1st interview was over the phone and the second was in store with two managers.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had to deal with a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Half Price Books (Houston, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

I arrived 15 minutes early and went up to the front desk and told them I had an interview. I was brought back to the office where I was introduced to two of the store managers. One manager asked the questions while the other one didn't talk but just observed. They began by telling me about the job and all the work that would be required from selling books, buy backs, research, and stocking. They then began with formal questions like about my previous jobs, my education and what I studied, to what I thought good customer service was, an example of when something went wrong with a customer and how I fixed the problem, what I did at previous jobs, and then we talked about what my favorite books were, what genres I like to read, and a few book related questions. I could tell the interview was going quite well because as I was talking, the 2nd manager who was supposed to remain quiet, chirped in and we all began to have a conversation and some laughs. The whole process from the time I applied to the time I received the job was a total of 4 days. I applied on the first day, had the interview on the third day and was offered the job on the fourth. The interview lasted for about 15-20 minutes and then they said if I got the job they would call me back.

Interview Questions

• What were your previous jobs?   Answer Question
    • What was your education?   2 Answers
    • Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer
    • What do you think good customer service is?   Answer Question
    • Give an example of something that went wrong with a customer and how it was resolved.   Answer Question
    • What did you do at previous jobs and what were the main tasks associated with those positions?   Answer Question
    • What is your favorite book? Favorite genres?   Answer Question
    • If a customer came in and asked for a book recommendation for their father who is outdoorsy, what would you recommend?   Answer Question
    • If a customer came in looking for a novel for their daughter that was fantasy based with little to no nudity or sexual scenes, what would you recommend?   Answer Question

Bookseller Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Half Price Books.

Interview

The interview was really short. It only last about 10 minutes. They called me back about 5 days later letting me know I didn't get the job. The interview was a little awkward because there were two people there to interview me but only one of them asked questions. The other guy just sat there and shook his head every now and then. They asked questions like what my favorite book and music genres are. They also asked what my strengths and weaknesses are. The only question they asked that threw me off was to give an example of some good customer service that I received recently.

Interview Questions

• What's an example of good customer service that you received recently?   Answer Question