Harding Loevner Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 30, 2017

2.2

Interviews for Top Jobs at Harding Loevner

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Harding Loevner in October 2016.

Interview

I applied for the position through my college's career services. It was for a career day in Boston, during which over 30 companies had the opportunity to interview potential candidates. After I submitted my application, I was emailed asking to schedule a preliminary phone interview before the potential in person interview in Boston. The phone interview was a pleasant experience. It was all behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Why us?   Answer Question
    • Can you explain a time you were assigned a project but not given a set of instructions on how to complete the project - what did you do?   Answer Question

Investment Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bridgewater, NJ

Application

The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Harding Loevner (Bridgewater, NJ).

Interview

Phone Interview, followed up with a day at their office where I met with multiple people. I was asked to come to the office a second time as well (for more interviews), and have heard stories of some people coming in 3 times...both of which are pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

Even if you do happen to live close by, which is unlikely since the place is located in a not-so-pleasant suburban area, no one should be asked to take two random vacation days from their current job, just to interview with a firm that may or may not even offer them the position.
    is
    The interviews themselves were not overly difficult. There were no technical questions, just basic questions on your resume, your past experiences, why you want the job, etc. They seem to be focused most on looking for a 'fit', which is interesting because the people conducting the interviews all seemed to have their own ideas of what the right fit was.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume.

Why do you want to leave the 'X' industry of finance for a buy side equity only asset manager?
      Answer Question

Portfolio Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bridgewater, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Harding Loevner (Bridgewater, NJ).

Interview

All behavioral, no technical. You will meet five or six people and they will ask fairly standard questions. Everyone was very nice but be polished. Very professional. Interviews are about 30 minutes each. Expect one to two site visits and be ready to speak about your personal interests. If you can do that well it's a plus.

Portfolio Management Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bridgewater, NJ

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Harding Loevner (Bridgewater, NJ) in December 2014.

Interview

General discussion about past experience, whether internships or prior jobs, and some questions regarding your future career path interest. You speak with a variety of people, ranging from potential managers all the way up to C-level. All very friendly and genuinely interested in you and your interests.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in the role of portfolio management associate?   Answer Question

Trade Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Somerville, NJ

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Harding Loevner (Somerville, NJ) in May 2010.

Interview

Interview Process:
    The process included an overall of 5 different interviews from both the trading department, the HR recruiter, and a random associate. It began with the HR recruiter reviewing my background, talking about the firm and the position, and reviewing generalities. Then it proceeded with the a back to back interview from individuals within the trading department. The first interview was with the main hiring manager, responsible for execution trading. He reviewed both my educational and work experiences. Nothing detailed, but more of a "tell me about yourself and what you did". The second interview involved the manager responsible for all the technical areas within trading (responsible for the Trading systems), which was very fast and very easy. Again this was more like, describe what you did at your last work experience. The third interview was with the head of the trading department. He was very detailed and thorough with my resume. He asked me to explain my entire background and work experiences. A lot of "tell me exactly what you did and how did you go by doing it". My resume indicated I was fluent in a language, so they brought in a Research Associate who was fluent in the same language to test my abilities. The interview ended with the HR recruiter following up with me and seeing how the process went. The entire interview took about 5 hours

Advice:
    Make sure you know everything in your resume, and do not add any "skills" which you are not confident in being asked about or even tested (i.e. language skills).

Overall Impressions of the firm:
    The firm's philosophy is "long duration, high quality growth" which is paralleled in their firm's culture. This is a small firm (~ 50 employees), most are older and have worked in the industry for some time. A lot of experienced and intelligent individuals here. Requires a lot of initiative and enterprenurial spirit from new hires. This firm is overall, very plain vanilla (specialize in international equities, including emerging & frontier mkts.)

Interview Questions

• Explain a time where you worked with a difficult group member, how and what did you do? If you could go back, would you change anything?   Answer Question