Havok.com Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 11, 2017

2.0

Interviews for Top Jobs at Havok.com

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Havok.com (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in August 2017.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me saying they were looking for "generalists" with strong C++ experience, which sounded right to me. Unfortunately no mention about the projects because they are confidential, so it's actually hard to understand whether you might be interested or not. I decided to try anyway, so I was asked to complete a written test in two hours, which is impossible as it definitely requires more time. This ends up having a negative impact on your performance as you can make silly mistakes in the attempt to move fast and don't have time to go back. Moreover the questions are sometimes long, poorly written and require a few passes to be understood. In one case they even used totally wrong wording (e.g. "syntax error" in place of "logical error"). Being alone you cannot ask for clarifications. For the record I got the test by email with almost 1 hour delay.
    Over the years I've interviewed at both large and small companies, but this is by far the worst process I've come across. The fact that they send you an old messy file by email is unprofessional, the test itself makes no sense, I'm not sure what "talent" is supposed to select. No questions about C++, threading, design, etc.; the questions about algorithms (but one) are largely too simple to be meaningful, the rest is basically portability, which is nothing really hard and which I doubt can be considered a good criterion for selecting people anyway (BTW I do have some experience on it). Apart from the test, they don't seem to care about you (they never asked my CV until after the test!) and the process seems designed to reject people that could actually perform well. They probably give you little time to make impossible to copy from other sources, but it's the wrong approach, and the only right solution is to have a real person interview you, like other companies do. If I invest my time for us why shouldn't you do the same? I wasted more than 3 hours while they probably spent 15 minutes reviewing the test. This asymmetric approach and consideration of time demonstrates very little respect for candidates and their time, and doesn't actually allow for a proper investigation. It's just superficial and unprofessional. Moreover the feedback I received sounds like an insult. The whole process is amateurish, this company does not know how to interview people or do not care to do it properly.

Interview Questions

• 10 questions in total, some questions are about algorithms, one is about 3D calculations, the rest is pretty much about portability and general knowledge.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Havok.com (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied online for the position. Got called 1-2 weeks after by HR. We briefly discussed about my experience and was told a test would follow. After another 1-2 weeks I scheduled the 2 hour test at a fixed time. Initially the person sending the test would email me 5 min before the fixed time - 10 min after the start time and still no answer, eventually I got the test with the delay.

The test wasn't difficult yet there were many questions for the given interval. There were 3 sections mainly (general programming algorithms - simple ones, architecture/optimization problems and 1 3d math problem) - each test had a point score 10 or 15 points. I didn't do the math problem (ran out of time), but did very well on architecture/optimization and fairly well on algorithms (without 1 exercise which I had no time).

Interview Questions

• Recursions vs loops, big/little endian, pointer arithmetic, triangle point ids (algorithmic), AI 3D tracking (3d math)   1 Answer

Graphics Programmer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Havok.com in June 2015.

Interview

- Quick phone screening with HR
    - 2h technical test
    - In depth screening with technical HR, discussing possible positions, etc.; the technical HR is the main contact from this point
    - Technical interview with leads of the studio aimed
    - Test to do over the weekend
    - Day of interviews on site

Interview Questions

• Describe your previous experience.   1 Answer
    • Why is the main bottleneck with voxel cone tracing?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Havok.com (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)).

Interview

Got initial reply from HR within a week after submitting my resume.
    Scheduled my first background interview(non-technical) a week after.
    Took an e-mail exam a week after.
    Hit their release date, so my technical interview took place two weeks after.
    Had an onsite interview a week later.
    Finally got the offer letter within a week and took the job.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Was able to push the process faster with my other offers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Havok.com (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in January 2011.

Interview

I first talked to a recruiter on the phone, and completed a written programming test for him. Then a week or so later, I had a technical interview with an engineer on the team that the position was with. A few weeks after that I had an on-site interview that was a 4 hour programming test using a real development environment followed by technical group interviews and 1 on 1 interviews.

Interview Questions

• Explain at the whiteboard for 5 minutes something technical from my resume.   Answer Question