Highland Capital Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Highland Capital Interview Questions

Updated Sep 6, 2017

2.9

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Highland Capital.

Interview

Two phone interviews, one with a recruiter going over general resume and interest questions, and a second with an investment professional going into some fairly straightforward technicals. Superday afterward where you meet most of the senior investment team - mostly fit based. Finally, a few candidates are invited for the case study afterward which entails building a three statement model from public filings and filling out tearsheets for a few different companies. This is not difficult at all, but extremely time consuming so make sure you carve out adequate time to get it done.

Risk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Highland Capital (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

I interviewed by phone with the Director of Quant Department. Went through the resume and then asked around 5-6 technical questions, including basic concepts of risk, probability theory, time series, including some calculations.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Highland Capital.

Interview

The interview process to work at Highland was quite extensive. After submitting a resume I was invited to the office for a morning of interviews. I interviewed with two members of the HR team and 2 members of the Investor Relations team. After the onsite interviews I had two phone interviews with members of the IR team that were traveling. Once I made it through all of the interviews I was sent a lengthy case study. I received the case at 5:00 PM on a Friday night and it was due at 8:00 AM Monday morning. Do not take the case study lightly, it will take the entire weekend to complete. A few days after turning in the case study I had a call with the team leader to go over what I had turned in and answer any questions that they had about my work. I received a call from HR a couple days later and was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• I was asked questions to test my proficiency at systems and skills that I had listed on my resume.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Highland Capital (Dallas, TX).

Interview

The interview process was thorough and included a phone interview and two office visits with several in-person interviews. I also completed a take home case study. The Recruiting team was professional. I got a good feel for the office culture and the caliber of employees during the interviews. Now that I work here I can vouch that the interviewers honestly answered all my questions. The process is rigorous, but fair.

Director of Financial Reporting Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Highland Capital (Dallas, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

I had multiple interviews and a case study for this position. The first consisted of a phone interview. The second was an extensive on-site interview with contributing members. After completing the second interview, I was given a case study. It was very difficult and should be taken seriously. The last meeting was a casual dinner to meet members of the team in a more social setting. A great process overall with outstanding people.

Interview Questions

• The interview questions were consistent with what would be expected of a role of this nature.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Highland Capital (Dallas, TX) in June 2015.

Interview

I was initially phone screened, then later invited into the office for a marathon of interviews that required me to take the day off from my current job. I think I met 11 people in total. It was quite exhaustive. Everyone was friendly, but took themselves very seriously.

Interview Questions

• They required a case study that tested my skills, organization, problem solving abilities, and attention to details.   Answer Question

Investment Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Highland Capital (New York, NY).

Interview

several phone interviews (started >15 min after scheduling), then a case study. process is fairly efficient, but they ask you to spend 10 hours on a case study before they invite you in.

They don't communicate any real guidelines before, or helpful info afterwards - beyond a canned response after you complete the case study. (i.e. the case study takes no time to set up on their end, but takes up 10+ hours for you.)

If they treat you like a disposable dishrag in the interview process, imagine how they'll treat you over the long term as an employee...

Interview Questions

• resume walkthrough, fit/experience related discussion about market knowledge etc.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Highland Capital (Dallas, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Phone Interview - Got a call in February and completed the original screening. I was told I would hear back by the end of the week but never did. Got another call for the same screening from a different HR rep who was much more professional.

Director Interview

Interview

It was a long and involved interview process, but they didn't waste my time, and the recruiter was great about keeping me posted on status, etc. She contacted me very quickly after submitting my resume, and we traded emails and calls frequently throughout the process.

I had three phone screens - recruiter, group head, and MD. After that, I had a very involved case study that I had four days and that took ~40 hours of work to complete . Since I somehow managed to do well enough on that, I was brought in to present the case study to an audience of ~10 people (took roughly an hour), followed by a series of ~8 interviews and a lunch. Two weeks later, I came back into the office for three more interviews and lunch with some of my future coworkers.

While this was obviously a lot of work, I never felt as if I was being yanked around, and I knew that they had largely narrowed it down to me (the case study being a good weed-out), so I had no issue with the length of the process.

Director/Senior Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Highland Capital (Dallas, TX).

Interview

I was reached out via email to set up an initial phone interview by recruiter, the day of the interview came and got email in the morning saying recruiter won't be able to do call but will reschedule. Never received a follow-up or reschedule despite trying.