Highland Capital Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Highland Capital

2.9

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Highland Capital (Dallas, TX) in November 2013.

Interview

Interveiw process was a great experience. I submitted my resume and I received a call the very next day. Interview process was very professional. Recruiting did a good job of keeping you well informed throughout the process. Interviews were timely and they were flexible with times and days. Basic interview questions.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any unexpected questions. All questions were what you would expect from an interview   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at Highland Capital (Dallas, TX) in June 2013.

Interview

Contacted by senior recruiter, invited me to talk to the group which consisted of the manager of HR, CFO, and CAO.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Highland Capital (Dallas, TX) in October 2013.

Interview

Highland Capital Management is a top notch investment firm that I became aware of through a third party recruiting firm who thought I would be a great fit for based of my work experience.

The recruiter and I submitted my formal resume to HCM's recruiting manager and I was given a call shortly after to discuss a job opportunity and set up an in-person interview.

As expected, the interview process was very thorough and professional. I first spoke with the recruiting manager via telephone and was then asked to meet for a formal, in-person interview. I was given an itinerary via email by the recruiting manager to help prepare in advance for the interview which was a great help.

I didn't get the job that I initially interviewed for, however I was given a call a few weeks later to interview for a new position that I ended up being a great fit for. After that second in-person interview, passing a skill/scenario test, and reference check I was given an offer.

Overall, the interview process was a positive experience. All of my questions were properly addressed and they were very accommodating in arranging times to interview. I was impressed with the organization by the recruiting manager and the warm welcome I received from those that I interviewed with and the rest of the staff. I was also impressed with the thoroughness because I helped me prepare and get to know the company and staff before I met them.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to walk away from the paralegal field to work in finance?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate my monthly train pass since I'm commuting from Fort Worth to Dallas.

Senior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Highland Capital (Dallas, TX) in May 2014.

Interview

The Recruiter reached out to me about an open role at Highland after finding my profile on LinkedIn. We had a 30 min. phone screen, followed by an onsite interview with the Director in the group. A couple weeks later I came back onsite for interviews with various other employees who I'd be working with in the role, and dinner with the immediate team. I then completed a case study, which I had 24 hours to complete. Throughout the process, the Recruiter was very communicative and helpful, keeping me updated on the process and making sure all of my questions were answered. I felt that the people I interviewed with were very transparent about the work and the culture, and really wanted to make sure I could make an informed decision if I ended up getting an offer. They were very genuine in wanting to find someone that would be a good fit, and I really appreciated that. Overall, I thought the process was appropriate for the role I was interviewing for and I got a good sense of what to expect if I ultimately landed there (and I did).

Interview Questions

• For the most part they were typical interview questions inquiring about my experience, strengths, opportunity areas, and different situations I've been faced with.   Answer Question

Investment Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Highland Capital (New York, NY).

Interview

several phone interviews (started >15 min after scheduling), then a case study. process is fairly efficient, but they ask you to spend 10 hours on a case study before they invite you in.

They don't communicate any real guidelines before, or helpful info afterwards - beyond a canned response after you complete the case study. (i.e. the case study takes no time to set up on their end, but takes up 10+ hours for you.)

If they treat you like a disposable dishrag in the interview process, imagine how they'll treat you over the long term as an employee...

Interview Questions

• resume walkthrough, fit/experience related discussion about market knowledge etc.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Highland Capital (Dallas, TX).

Interview

"Very Unprofessional Recruiter ever"

I got a call from the recruiter and scheduled a phone interview. But before the interview she canceled and said that she would contact me again. I never get a call so that I contacted her three times and left three voice emails. She ignored everything. Then, 3 weeks later, I saw the same job positing from the online job board and applied for the same position again. She emailed me and scheduled an interview again.

I took a day off for the interview. I was suppposed to receive a call at 3 PM. She didn't call me so that I called her after 15 minutes later. She didn't receive a all and the gave me a call after 2 minutes.

I got rejected because they don't sponsor Visa for foreigners. However, she took my all day and didn't even say "Sorry".

Unprofessional, Unprofessional, rude....

Interview Questions

• Just regular behavior question   1 Answer

Investment Analyst Interview

Interview

Applied through my university’s alumni job board as well as online through Highland’s systems. Was contacted by HR for a phone interview and then again for an in-person interview. In-person interview was consistent with what you see at most financial services firm - including multiple 2x1 interviews which lasted half the day.

Good exposure to senior management - I meet with the head of the business line I was interviewing for as well as several managing directors and directors. As is typical for most buyside firms, the in-person interview was followed by a case study. Case study was challenging but manageable. I received and accepted an offer shortly after submitting the case-study and was pleased with the way the recruiting process was handled.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Highland Capital (Dallas, TX) in May 2014.

Interview

called up by hr to arrange call -- 1st rd with hr went well. short and straightforward questions about my bio / interests. 2nd rd w/ a director from the group of interest. ~30 mins. questions ranged across from my bio to deal talk --> demonstrate ability to think like an investor (including you bankers). simple but important. case study next. office visit after if case goes well to meet / present, etc. finally, offer! ran other processes simultaneously, so no HCM for me.

Interview Questions

• discuss past transactions and the investment merits of xyz security / asset   Answer Question

Investment Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Highland Capital.

Interview

Two phone interviews, one with a recruiter going over general resume and interest questions, and a second with an investment professional going into some fairly straightforward technicals. Superday afterward where you meet most of the senior investment team - mostly fit based. Finally, a few candidates are invited for the case study afterward which entails building a three statement model from public filings and filling out tearsheets for a few different companies. This is not difficult at all, but extremely time consuming so make sure you carve out adequate time to get it done.

Director Interview

Interview

It was a long and involved interview process, but they didn't waste my time, and the recruiter was great about keeping me posted on status, etc. She contacted me very quickly after submitting my resume, and we traded emails and calls frequently throughout the process.

I had three phone screens - recruiter, group head, and MD. After that, I had a very involved case study that I had four days and that took ~40 hours of work to complete . Since I somehow managed to do well enough on that, I was brought in to present the case study to an audience of ~10 people (took roughly an hour), followed by a series of ~8 interviews and a lunch. Two weeks later, I came back into the office for three more interviews and lunch with some of my future coworkers.

While this was obviously a lot of work, I never felt as if I was being yanked around, and I knew that they had largely narrowed it down to me (the case study being a good weed-out), so I had no issue with the length of the process.