Hogan Lovells Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 12, 2017

3.1

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Hogan Lovells (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Absolutely awful. Phone interview setup for 4:45, she never called me and I had to reach out to her MYSELF. Finally spoke on the phone, the salary was extremely low for a big firm, and especially because I was coming from an even bigger firm. They were extremely rude, would not budge on the hours of 9:30 to 5:30 which does not work for someone commuting in from NJ. We have to be on the train and it by 7 to get parking. Was extremely dismissive and seemed like she didn't even want to be on the phone will me. Said she would let me know but doubt I will be hearing from her.

Billing Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Hogan Lovells.

Interview

My application was for a position in a new office that (at the time of initial communications) was not yet open. So I did expect the process to be drawn out; knowing they were setting up ahead of time. I first had a phone interview, followed by a Skype interview, and, finally, in-person meetings. There were many weeks in between each occurrence. The in-person interviews went VERY well, imo. I was prompt, professional, well-dressed, articulate, knowledgeable and prepared. I felt comfortable with the skills testing; had no difficulty whatsoever. I have many years experience in the role of Billing Specialist and know I was/am more than qualified for the position. After the interviews, I was promised I'd hear once a decision was made. I sent two follow up emails (one right away, thanking everyone) and one a couple weeks later to offer some references. I received a short, vapid reply to that message and then nothing else. Ever. I FINALLY wrote to the HR person after 3 months and asked for a status. No response. So I forwarded my inquiry to another individual I met with. Two days later, the HR person wrote back....saying they picked someone else. I mean, in my heart of hearts, I knew this. But I was still very angry. What the heck is wrong with these companies not letting candidates know? I'm tired of the double standard. Applicants are expected to follow all these rules of propriety. But potential employers don't even have the courtesy or professionalism to let someone (who dedicated a lot of time and energy) know where they stand. So rude. At first, I was hesitant to apply after reading so many negative reviews about HL -- but I ended up enjoying the interview process (as it was happening) and became enthusiastic about the Company and the prospect of a future there. Now, I'm just another negative reviewer.

Communications Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Hogan Lovells.

Interview

I went through several rounds of interviews for this position. I asked what salary they were offering and they said they didn't know. I asked for a salary range and they said they didn't know. This is after three rounds of interviews. They knew, they just wanted to low-ball me.

Interview Questions

• Can't remember anything they asked me. Usual stuff I guess. They were trying to see how far I would let them take advantage of me. Typical large law firm business development ridiculousness.   Answer Question

Marketing and Business Development Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Hogan Lovells (Washington, DC) in April 2016.

Interview

I went on four different interviews. The first was a phone screening that took me through my resume and asked me questions about what I was looking for in a job. The second interview was in the office. I took two tests, first a grammar test and then an excel/word test. Both fairly easy. Then I was taken into a room where I was interviewed by the same person on the phone who was someone from HR and another lady in the marketing department. Straight forward questions about why I chose Hogan Lovells, why I wanted the position, and questions about my past experiences. I was then called back a third time and met with the Global head of the department. Lasted about 15 minutes, great conversation and we talked about my experiences, and what she would like to see from me. She told me the roles of the job what it entails and what she expects to be accomplished. Finally I was called back for a fourth interview where I was supposed to be interviewed by two different people but one was sick. These questions were tougher and more situational and what I would do in during certain situations. I was called later that day to tell me that they were going to go forth with my offer but need to checked my references because formally offering me the position. About two days later my references were checked and I was offered the job upon passing a background check. (I passed) and am now happily employed here.

Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Hogan Lovells (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

A little impersonal in that some of the people that "interviewed" me were in another state, as it was done by a live chat/feed screen. Other than that, I thought the interview was pretty straight-forward. They cut to the chase about how I might fit in with the firm. I appreciated the speed of the process. They brought me in soon after applying and made a decision soon thereafter.

Interview Questions

• They had a lot of questions regarding specific issues and situations that I have dealt with. You could tell they had a checklist regarding what they were looking for in a candidate.   Answer Question

Assistant Interview

Interview

First was a quick phone interview, followed by computer testing at a hogan location and then a few rounds of interviews at the office of the position. One of the interviews is typically with the residing manager of the group i was applying for. Interview was with one person the first time and then 2 people the second time.

Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Hogan Lovells (Washington, DC).

Interview

The interview process was standard, there was a panel that asked the typical questions people get asked in interviews. Nothing unusual. The firm, like any other employer is interested in the candidate's strengths, weaknesses, and interest in working for them. The interviewers were friendly and approachable.They answered questions about the firm enthusiastically.

Budget Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Hogan Lovells (Washington, DC) in September 2015.

Interview

I was called by an HR person for a phone interview, then scheduled an in person interview for that week. The in person interview lasted roughly 2.5 hours because I spoke with the recruiter, a marketing coordinator, and a director; I also had to do a 30-minute Excel skills test.

Interview Questions

• Describe your biggest failure and how you overcame it.
      How have you effectively handled a stressful situation?
      What can you contribute to this company?
      Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Hogan Lovells (Washington, DC) in September 2015.

Interview

Process began w/ 30 min phone screening... and then quickly 1 wk later a 3 hr session that was a Standard behavioral interview lineup... asked for strengths & weaknesses...give an example of success and failure...met with at least 6 individuals, some in person, some via video link.

Interview Questions

• Give 2 examples from past client/project work - one successful and one that could have been done better... what would do over again?   1 Answer

Budget Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Hogan Lovells (Washington, DC) in September 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by an HR employee by phone to set up an interview during the following week. When I arrived for my interview, I was first asked to take an Excel skills test; this took me 20 minutes and the test was very straight forward. I interviewed with the HR person for about 20 minutes. Then, I interviewed individually with a Director and the Director's assistant; this took another hour and both interviewed me via teleconference.

I thought each individual interview was quite easy considering the firm's reputation. Each employee did a run through of my resume and asked the standard behavioral questions. If you can articulate how you can add value to Hogan through the experiences you've had, and what you've learned, then the interview process will be easy for you.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your biggest failure, how you overcame it, and what you learned.

("I see that you were a ___ at ________")-How did you manage stressful situations during this position?
      Answer Question