HostGator.com Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at HostGator.com

2.3

Junior Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HostGator.com (Austin, TX) in June 2011.

Interview

One interview, quite easy. Basic technical assessment ("do you know what cpanel is", "what port is HTTP"). Was sent an email two or three days later extending a job offer at $12/hour, higher than what I asked.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at HostGator.com.

Interview

first applied, and got a call shortly after. i was scheduled to interview on the phone, but never got a call. then, i was emailed saying missed my interview & i was supposed to interview there. (recruiter at the time didn't do too well at her job) but i was told to come in to interview and got the job the same day

Junior Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HostGator.com (Austin, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

The recruiter asked me about my past employment, basic technical questions, and my availability. I applied through WorkinTexas.com by sending the recruiter my resume by email. I got an email to do an aptitude test. After that, I got an email scheduling an interview with the recruiter. The whole process took three weeks.

Interview Questions

• What are the ports for DNS, SMTP, POP, and IMAP?   1 Answer

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HostGator.com in April 2013.

Interview

Don't interview, do not work there

Negotiation

Don't apply. They do not understand business climate. This is not a dorm room business anymore!!!!

Linux Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I interviewed at HostGator.com (Houston, TX) in March 2013.

Interview

They brought me in and asked me silly questions about what kind of animal I would if I could be any animal. I told them I'd be a block of cheese. Apparently they did not agree that a block of cheese is an animal.

Linux Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at HostGator.com (Austin, TX) in September 2011.

Interview

Submit CV and application. Short interview, mid-level questions- if you know a little bit and show effort they will give you a chance.

After that its just show up on time for some classes and pass a skills test. If you are patient, knowledgeable and friendly then you are on your way.

I did see some people get picked up at training by police, so if you have any fines or warrants...
    Well, I'm just saying- I guess they do some kinda warrant or background thing. If you got any problems, then take care of em. I saw a couple of people get picked up in my training class.

Interview Questions

• Its all customer service- so its the 'what you you do if this happened' and 'name a a situation when this happened' type stuff.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Straight dictatorship. Take it or leave it.

Linux Systems Administrator Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at HostGator.com.

Interview

After an initial phone screening from HR I took another interview/test with an administrator. I SSH'd into a box they had setup and performed some steps that he told me over the phone.

The technical interview was fairly easy, especially since I could take my time and was allowed to look up any details/man pages when needed.

Interview Questions

Not enough salary when taking into consideration relocating

Linux Systems Administrator II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at HostGator.com (Austin, TX) in March 2011.

Interview

The phone screen was what I've come to expect: a selection of questions to test unix, network, and problem solving skills. After that they wanted to fly me to Austin, but not to interview with a live person, just to sit in front of a computer and handle fake tickets for 40 minutes.

This part confused me. They had me spend 8 hours on planes, and stay overnight in a hotel, only to sit in front of a computer for less than an hour, while a person observed me. They weren't very organized about it either. After the test was over, it took them almost an hour to get a taxi to take me back to the airport, during which time they didn't even think to give me a tour (other than their quite nice game-room.

Interview Questions

• Diagnose failing PHP script   1 Answer
    • Email broken for one user only....   1 Answer

The compensation was far too low. While I know the cost of living in Austin is lower than in the Bay Area, it was over a 50% pay cut from my pervious position, and no offer to help with relocation expenses. It confuses me that they're advertising to heavily in the Bay Area if they aren't offering competitive salaries.

Linux Systems Administrator II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at HostGator.com (Austin, TX) in April 2011.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter through one of the major job posting sites, namely Dice, Careerbuilder, or Monster about the position. I was given details about the position via email and contacted her regarding interested in the position. I was scheduled to talk to one of the Linux Admins currently hired. This interview I had with this individual was simply a screening, which was fine. A few questions you might get:

What is the difference between a CNAME and an A Record?
    What does the lsof command do?
    Other basic Linux commands depending on your flavor of distribution preference.

This lasted about 20-25 minutes. I did well on this and received a notification from the recruiter that they want to give me a simulation interview where I login into a sandbox of theirs and performed certain things based on the questions given by the interviewer on the phone.

At the end of the simulation interview I was asked what were my salary requirements and location requirements. He also mentioned relocation. We ended the conversation stating that they would be in touch from the Austin center regarding the position.

The next day I get a notification through their ticketing system that they moved on with another candidate. That's fine. I thanked the recruiter for the opportunity and mentioned that I wish I learned more about the company and position from the interviewer. It seemed more like they wanted to do screenings rather than get to learn about the person to see if it was a right fit or not. She replied back and mentioned that they interview a lot of people daily and I mentioned that I was supposed to be in contact with someone else. She was going to work on it for me she said (weird).

An hour later I receive an offer.

Interview Questions

I mentioned I received an offer. This offer was FAR below industry standards and wage based. It seems a lot of companies believe that since many people are under economical duress they will take any offer. To add further reason why I declined the offer is that although they offered me relocation of $2000, the wage was not enough to justify moving. I could continue finding jobs here or get something local or be a manager at a grocery store for that wage. Ridiculous.

Also I question the organizational and management skills of a company who sends a candidate a 'we moved on to a different candidate that more closely matches our needs at the time' letter and an offer letter stating that 'your skills will be an asset to our company' letter within the same day. I don't see why anyone would consider working for anyone like that.

Now perhaps it was the way the recruiter and the interviewer handled it. In that case someone else should be handling the interviews.

Technical Support Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at HostGator.com (Houston, TX) in March 2014.

Interview

Phone interview followed by in person interview reviewing technical details of the industry. Customer service skills also a must. The rest of this text is to fill out the remaining word count minimum of Glassdoor, this is quite tedious.