ION Trading Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ION Trading Interview Questions

Interviews at ION Trading

Junior Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at ION Trading (Chicago, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

Went through 3 phone interviews. The first one the ION staff member conducting the interview missed the interview and I had to have my recruiter track down the HR staff at another office in another state to find out what went wrong. Finally rescheduled and the last 2 phone interviews went as planned. Ultimately did not receive an offer.

Leadership Development Program Interview

Interview

Virtual Interview where you record your answers on the screen. This comes before the actual in-person interview process. It was interesting because this was my first interview of this sort so I would recommend completing the practice interview first before doing the actual one.

Interview Questions

• Describe Color to someone who has never seen it before.
      What value can you add to a team at ION?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ION Trading (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

The first interview was completed online through a computerized interface. The second interview was comprised of two interviews with two different people online. The recruiter was accommodating when I was unable to interview at the times she suggested.

Interview Questions

• How do you describe color to a blind person?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ION Trading (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

1. Web Interview with questions with 30 secs to prepare and 1 minute to answer
    2. In person interviews (2 rounds)
    3. Office superday (1 case interview, 3 technical/behavioral interview)

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ION Trading (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

Pretty stringent process. 3 rounds of interviews, followed by a lengthy approval process. Included personality / intelligence test. Overall fair and well worth it. Comes off better than previous experiences at other firms, that in hindsight would just hire anyone.

Interview Questions

• What was one of the biggest challenges you've had in your previous roles?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ION Trading (New York, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

Referred by recruiter. Logic test then sit down interviews with several different employees ranging from analysts to managers to COO. Interview process was pretty simple and straightfoward. Most of the questions were general finance questions (What is a bond? What types of risk are there?) or simply asking if you had technical experience ( Do you know SQL? Do you know linux?)

Some logic questions were asked to see how you approach problems.

Interview Questions

• All were pretty simple/straightfoward. Recruiter also was able to provide the basic questions which would be asked   Answer Question

salary is well below market

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ION Trading (New York, NY) in August 2010.

Interview

It was a very fair and laid back interview. I was interviewed by the hiring manager and it was very straight forward questions. "What do we do here at ion trading", "your strengths and weaknesses", "why you believe ion trading would be a good fit for you". Be sure to know their "core" business deals in fixed income. The website gives just about every asset class, but fixed income is the major focus although the do deal with some commodities and equities. Keeping with fixed incomes be sure to be prepared to answer questions about bonds. I was a bit taken aback that this was expected to be very knowledgable with otherwise I would have brushed up on it before the interview. Know what a bond is, positives and negatives of using bonds, what purchase price of a bond is. Also, know what accrued interest is and be prepared to give examples. Most of us with business related degrees (myself included) have gone over all of this information, but if you have been out of school for a while be sure to go over this information again. Finally, the "logic" test. I had no idea what kind of test I would be given, but after taking the test it is an IQ test that you can prepare for online by typing in keyword IQ test or employment IQ test. Was not hard however I spent too much time on a few questions and did not finish the test before time was up. Practicing an online IQ test will ensure you do really well and I found one IQ test that actually tells you why certain questions you answer are right or wrong so you do not make the same mistake. I hope this helped and best of luck :)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at ION Trading (Chicago, IL) in May 2010.

Interview

The first interview was an IQ test, 20+ questions in a 30 minute time frame. If you're good with IQ tests, you will find this test to be a breeze like I did. The second interview was quite an experience for me. It was the first time I've ever been interviewed by people in another city via a video conference call. This unsettled me a little, but I'm not sure if will hurt or help me. The interview consisted of fairly standard questions, plus some skills questions (ex. what are the risks with this, what would you do in this situation, what does this term mean...). Its hard not to do well on the standard questions, but I recommend people prepare for the skills questions so you don't have regrets like I do. The questions they asked me were EASY! I know the answers, but on the spot I didn't perform well.

Interview Questions

• How would you respond to you disgruntled customer in an email?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ION Trading (New York, NY).

Interview

At the time, interviews was several rounds and we had to meet and speak with everyone. We even had to speak with people overseas. Initial round included a standard iq test.

Interview Questions

• Provided pictures and had to find the next in the series.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't get a chance to negotiate.

Client Support Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ION Trading (New York, NY).

Interview

Contacted by recruiter - interview took place within one week

Interview Questions

• Brain Teasers - Ex. You have a 4 and 7 minute hourglass... need to get exactly 9 minutes
      Also asked few questions on SQL and fixed income instruments   Answer Question