ION Trading Interview Questions | Glassdoor

ION Trading Interview Questions

Updated May 22, 2017

Rotational Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at ION Trading (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Had a video interview where they gave you a question, one minute to prepare, and one minute to record your answer. Pretty simple behavioral questions. Prepare answers before you go in. Dress professionally.

Leadership Development Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ION Trading (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

1. Web Interview with questions with 30 secs to prepare and 1 minute to answer
    2. In person interviews (2 rounds)
    3. Office superday (1 case interview, 3 technical/behavioral interview)

Receptionist/Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ION Trading (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Was contacted via LinkedIn about a receptionist role. I responded as interested, and proceeded to email a recruiter with my resume and information. I went through two screening calls and was scheduled for yet another phone interview, which did not accommodate my schedule (they just scheduled it for me without asking if I was available at the time, which by the way I wasn't).

This *third* phone interview did not happen because they must have dialed the wrong number. I did not get the chance to call myself, as a number for the hiring manager was not listed in the email, nor was the number for literally anyone else at the company. I received a very rude email after the proposed time stating that they had called me twice and that I did not answer, to which I asked if we could reschedule and maybe I could call, or even come in to the office in person. No response. Not a good first impression.

In addition to the interview experience, the Glassdoor reviews of the company really helped-- after I saw that management is not responsive to the employees, my opinion of the company was not a positive one to start out with. This interview experience cements my unfavorable experience with Ion Trading Group.

Interview Questions

• 2nd phone screen asked how my values accorded with Ion's.   1 Answer

Rotational Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ION Trading in October 2016.

Interview

Starts out with a online interview where you are presented with a sentence and you record yourself answering the questions. You have 4 minutes for each question. You then have an in person interview on campus or a video interview if they don't come to your campus, then a final interview in New York.

Client Services Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ION Trading (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

Pretty stringent process. 3 rounds of interviews, followed by a lengthy approval process. Included personality / intelligence test. Overall fair and well worth it. Comes off better than previous experiences at other firms, that in hindsight would just hire anyone.

Interview Questions

• What was one of the biggest challenges you've had in your previous roles?   Answer Question

Junior Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at ION Trading (Chicago, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

Went through 3 phone interviews. The first one the ION staff member conducting the interview missed the interview and I had to have my recruiter track down the HR staff at another office in another state to find out what went wrong. Finally rescheduled and the last 2 phone interviews went as planned. Ultimately did not receive an offer.

Graduate Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at ION Trading (New York, NY).

Interview

I went through on campus recruiting and after the first round I was invited to New York for a super day with roughly 20 other candidates. I had 45 minute interviews with about six people and a case study where we were given 30 minutes to prepare and present a recommendation on whether a specific merger should be approved by shareholders. I thought the case study itself was a fairly odd feature of the interview process given that ION is a software company. The interviews in general could be best described as inconsistent. I interviewed with former employees of various firms that ION has acquired over the years, and not a single interviewer could really speak much about the analyst program. I didn't get an offer, if I had it would have been objectively hard to evaluate if the firm was the right place for me- in hindsight I think I was fortunate.

Visual Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ION Trading (New York, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

Pretty standard corporate interview process. Had a phone interview and then a 2-hour long in person interview the following week. It took them 3 weeks to follow-up and tell me that the wanted to go with another candidate. Be warned they we're hiring for a Senior Visual Designer and they called it a Visual Marketing Specialist for $60,000 per year. When I asked about the odd title and low salary, I was told that their company doesn't believe in titles.

Interview Questions

• How much of your work day you plan to spend on digital vs print?
      Why is your portfolio mostly Digital?
      Can you do print?
      Do you like finance?
      Have you worked in finance?
      What do you think of finance?
      Can you teach people?
      How large of teams have you managed?
      What programs do you use?
      Answer Question

Graduate Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ION Trading.

Interview

Super Day was stressful but super fun. Case study can be hard, but interviewees are pretty chill. Shipped us in to NYC and their office was pretty cool. Met many smart people. They were pretty open about the bad reviews here, mostly due to some early mistakes of buying out other companies. Would recommend!

Interview Questions

• The standard, why ION, why finance, walk through your resume   Answer Question

Graduate Program Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at ION Trading (Boston, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

Applied via career link website from my university. Heard back for an interview a couple days after deadline. On campus interview with 2 employees, one in their 'Wall Street Systems' business and the other in 'Ion Trading' business. 2 separate 30 minute interviews. The usual stuff, pretty straight forward. They kept downplaying the poor reviews on this website, saying that their only the 'unhappy employees'. Immediate signal to me that something is going on there.

Interview Questions

• What attracted you to this position? Why Ion and what do you know about us? Think of ways you can use technology to automate processes and make them more efficient.
      Mostly behavioral questions.