ION Trading Reviews | Glassdoor

2.3
ION Trading Founder & CEO Andrea Pignataro
Andrea Pignataro

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • During busy weeks the workload can be a lot, but overall the work life balance is quite favorable (in 12 reviews)

• Good salary, working flexibility if required, pretty secure future (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management can't be worse (in 18 reviews)

• This makes for a skewed work-life balance (in 9 reviews)

"Accountant"

I worked at ION Trading full-time

Pros

Office has a great view of Central Park

Cons

- Company was a graveyard of employees from companies they acquired.
    - No vision on driving organic growth.
    - No incentive for employees to grow with the company

Advice to Management

Focus on consolidating brands and listen to client feedback for needed adjustment to products. Use a consolidated portfolio to put company on a track for success rather than the decentralized portfolio that exists today, cannibalizing sales from various product lines.

"No Career, Ridiculously small Bonus, No raise, Reduction in Benefits. Future grads if you read this stay away!"

Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at ION Trading full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong senior team prevents the company to dies until they will leave.
    As the company is going down, it's actually pretty easy to hide and do nothing, even Grads have understood that. You cannot get fired!
    Company is really at using every BS buzz word they can...

Cons

No long term strategy in recruitement or in product, No Raises, No bonus based on performance, No recruitement except pure junior grads.
    Benefits getting more expensive every year and coverage going down every year.
    CEO is a billionaire who thinks a flat structure is the best but he does not trust anyone.
    No 401K matching, life insurance cut in Half, no travel insurance! Welcome to cheapstake ION!
    HR team (people operations) are running away from the company...
    No internal communication

Advice to Management

Listen a bit to your seniors, when they are all gone grads won't save the day.

"Taking from another review...there you have it kids"

I worked at ION Trading full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

apart from the nice offices and seemingly "global" presence they purport...nothing really...

Cons

nice offices- comes with a personal price
    cheaper labor - of course
    humdinger - growth through acquisition ONLY.
    to grow - not organically because lest we forget, ANDREA PIGNATARO did say..."we do not believe in marketing..." and yet we see it on their website...
    *to the kids who do not even break six figures...RUN!!!
    PIGNATARO is in the habit of collateralizing established cash flows from acquired companies and borrowing against it to fund half a billion worth of dividends! - that's why the business is going south and you'll have to suck it up...

Also...just so everybody knows...401Ks with matching contributions HE stopped without telling the employees of an acquired company about it...

That's your boss...even employees from India did not have anything nice to say!!!

Advice to Management

nothing...question is...where are the five star ratings from your new hires???? isn't this part of their induction?

"I Wouldn't Advise Even My Worst Enemy to Work Here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at ION Trading full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As others have stated, there is a nice view of Central Park in the NYC office. However, there is a new building going up directly between Ion and the park, so the view will soon be obstructed.

There are some good people left over from companies that were acquired.

Cons

Management is terrible. The company is only concerned with growth by acquisition. Communication is almost non-existent. What communication does exist is usually lies from upper management.

Employees are treated horribly. Managers are cruel, starting with the CEO, who is just an awful person and treats everyone like dirt. Compensation is below-average and stagnant. Don't expect a raise or bonus, regardless of what they tell you during your interview.

If you are a new college graduate and are part of their "leadership program" you will be treated like a king (see the only positive reviews of this company on Glassdoor) while everyone else is treated badly and pushed toward the door. One of the goals here is to replace high-cost experienced employees with low-cost new college graduates.

I already mentioned it once, but I just cannot stress enough how terrible the CEO is. He's angry, arrogant, and just plain miserable to work for. He creates a culture of misery among the majority of employees at Ion.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like people. Stop blatantly favoring new college graduates and giving them special treatment. It takes money to run a business. Start allowing departments to buy things that are necessary for the successful operation of the department. Quit gutting every company that you buy. Reward employees for their work and treat them with respect. We don't all need the cool perks that come with working for companies like Amazon, Google, or Facebook to enjoy our workplace. We just need to be appreciated and treated with respect and that is certainly not something that you find at Ion. I will be leaving this company very soon, but it will not be soon enough.

"Sometimes business gets in the way of Success"

I worked at ION Trading full-time

Pros

The Reval Team that came over in the Acquisition

Cons

The way Ion runs sales and marketing and most of all employees

Advice to Management

Never think you are something you are not.

"Company needs to value their employees more."

I have been working at ION Trading full-time

Pros

Coworkers/direct managers are great. Work is varied and interesting. People at local office are friendly, professional, and very hardworking. Overall, think the company is heading in the right direction technically.

Cons

Lack of transparency from top management. Can never tell how the company is really doing. Things seem great, then there will be a stealth layoff with no warning whatsoever, a person is escorted out without even a chance to say goodbye. This is cruel to loyal employees and does not foster loyalty to the company, only paranoia.

Advice to Management

Your people are your greatest asset! Stop treating us like mercenaries. Be transparent and honest about how the company is doing. Hard to understand not getting raises when the owner is buying private islands. Share the wealth for a change.

"Leadership Development Program"

I have been working at ION Trading full-time

Pros

Management really cares about the LDP and provide opportunities for the analysts to achieve their goals/improve their skill sets. We have many opportunities to travel to our international offices and ask for projects that are interesting and a good learning experience. I've had a good experience with other team members who are not part of the program as well. The office is more collaborative now and I think ION is trying to improve on past criticism/feedback.

Cons

Work load can be daunting at times and you may get different directions from several managers. However, if you ask questions and aren't afraid to take on challenges this can be a great way to constantly strive for more.

Advice to Management

Keep up with the new initiatives in all the offices - employee morale and collaboration are key to making ION the place employees want to work at.

"Great experience!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at ION Trading full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity to learn about fintech and software for someone without much prior technical experience. Lots of opportunities to travel. The senior management is very approachable and open to new ideas. The recent changes of the company have been exciting to be apart of!

Cons

Some processes are a bit inefficient and the snacks run out in the kitchen quickly

Advice to Management

keep listening to your employees the path we're going down is positive but there is still room for improvement

"Cruel and Unusual"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at ION Trading full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I learned a lot during my 6 years in hell. I learned that the world is unfair and merit alone gets you nowhere. I learned to trust no one as people tend to stab you in the back. I learned what it's like to be in an abusive relationship that you can't get out of.

These are all valuable life lessons and I am very grateful to everyone at ION that contributed to my enlightenment.

Cons

Ahhh, where do I begin! The low pay, the lack of career opportunities, the complete and total absence of any form of recognition or appreciation...
    If you're any good, you get worked like a dog without so much as a thank you. But you can always expect someone else to take credit for your work. And when things go wrong, you get all the blame.

Advice to Management

The great exodus has been under way for a while now. All the good hardworking people have either left or are about to.
    Good luck!

"No Clear Direction Or Confidence"

Former Employee - Former Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at ION Trading (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great team to work with, lots of cross departmental assistance,

Cons

Management has no clear path to achieve stated goals and lay offs are frequent and are driven by cliques. Managers in Client Services need to learn manners and be honest and fair with those employee's that report to them.

Advice to Management

Get a clue.