ITHAKA Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.8

1. Featured Interview

Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at ITHAKA (Ann Arbor, MI) in August 2018.

Interview

Based on my experience, If Ithaka was a University with a designation such as "most selective," "more selective," "selective," "less selective" or "least selective," I will say that they are "more selective."

They are not looking for geniuses; but if you are a highly talented individual, they will consider you and make you an offer if you are the last wo/man standing.

I had two phone-screening calls. The first one was with the Talent Director who was super friendly, who answered all my questions, and went above and beyond to arrange an after-hours interview. I didn't have to step out from work or do it during my lunch hour. She accompanied me throughout the process with updates and information. I always knew what was next. She was pretty awesome.

I did my second phone interview with the Lead Engineer and Architect, a skilled Engineer, the type of person you want around and learn from in certain Engineering environments. He did the technical phone screening.

In addition to the phone screening, I had a questionnaire that delved into my Support Engineering background to know more about me and what I have been doing in the last 1-2 years. After the questionnaire and the second screening interview, I was given about 5 technical/challenge problems; and I had the choice to work and resolve one of them. To me, it was a critical-thinking, problem-solving ability assessment.

After submitting my exercise's response, I was invited for a half-day interview where I had met the Business Systems Team and the Engineering Director. They were a group of very smart and humble people. We discussed, joked, and laughed...and discussed various points about me and the job. I presented my exercise's solution and got honest feedbacks from them.

Pretty good experience! At the end of the process, I was not offered the position. But, I understood that just like "More Selective" schools not everyone who has the grades to get in...will get an acceptance letter.

Now, unlike other places where you get an automated email from a "DoNotReply" account letting you know that you were not selected, the Engineering Director wrote me a great note letting me know of their decision and offered to provide me with a post-interview feedback.

That meant a lot to me. He made arrangement for the Lead Engineer to deliver the feedback. He told me my strengths and things that I can improve. And I definitely learned from it. I really appreciated the fact that they cared enough to tell me what can hurt me in future interviews; so that I can do things differently.

Thanks Ithaka!

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at ITHAKA (Princeton, NJ) in March 2010.

Interview

Interview was mainly technical including different open source frameworks that includes Hibernate/Spring /GWT/ JSF/ JBOSS/ RichFaces(To name a few) and mainly the challenges that I have faced during my earlier positions. An Architect, Director and a Lead Developer were included in the panel. They targeted different areas(Personal skills, Technical and Design etc). They came up with different questions on my resume.

Interview Questions

ITHAKA Response

Jun 7, 2019 – Talent Director

Our technologies and products have evolved immensely since 2012. We encourage you to check out our technology stack!

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at ITHAKA (Ann Arbor, MI).

Interview

Applied via career site and got a callback really soon. 3 Interviews and the questions were really basic.

But i was really unhappy about was that there was no response. they never even came back with a offer/no offer at all for many weeks. Really wish it could have been a bit professional.

Interview Questions

• Basic java and spring mvc questions, a little bit of html, css questions as well   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ITHAKA in April 2019.

Interview

I applied online. I got an email after to set up an interview with HR, then another interview with an S+R team member. An assignment (which took a few hours) followed the interviews. I didn't make it past the assignment stage, but a final interview apparently followed for select candidates. Ultimately, I was left feeling frustrated because the process took a long while, and HR wasn't very responsive. I don't mind doing a candidate assignment, or going through multiple interviews, but the huge stretches of time between some of the stages made me assume I had been knocked out of the process. It didn't help that HR didn't respond to any email asking what was going on. That being said, during the phone interviews both the Ithaka S+R team member and HR were very polite. Just wish that extended to how candidates are treated throughout the (long!) process. Job hunting is hard enough, no need to make it anxiety inducing.

Interview Questions

• What are three adjectives a friend would use to describe you?   1 Answer

Jun 7, 2019 – Talent Director

Hi! I am the Talent Director for ITHAKA, this was my error. My apologies for your experience, clearly I dropped the ball along the way. We appreciate feedback as we are also trying to improve our... More

Intern Interview

Interview

In-person interview

Interview Questions

• In a situation where you had to change someone's mind about one of your ideas, what did you do?   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ITHAKA.

Interview

ask me 3 coding questions, but i cannot remenber. question is typical. but I did not have enough time to ask things about their company at the end. man on the phone was very nice

Software Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ITHAKA (Ann Arbor, MI) in February 2011.

Interview

I interviewed four years ago. As I recall the process was very thorough talking with my future supervisor, peers and people who would be working on my team. I first spoke with peers and then came back and spent 1/2 day with a number of other folks with whom I would be working closely.

Graphic Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at ITHAKA in May 2019.

Interview

I applied online, and a few days later received an email from HR asking me to contact their recruiter to set up an interview through Google Hangouts. Contacted the recruiter, set up a time, and...no show from the recruiter. Six hours later, I get a message asking if I'm ready for the interview; tell her that it's late and ask to reschedule for the next day, same time. Again, I wait, and she doesn't show. Five hours later, another message asking if I'm ready for the interview. By sheer luck, I'm at my computer and respond, and - finally - the interview proceeds.
    Pretty standard questions about my skillset, how I handle difficult clients, etc. Afterwards, I'm told that she's "submitting my answers to the hiring board." I'm thinking that it'll be a day or two before I heard anything back, but no, within a few minutes I'm informed that they want to hire me. When I ask about next steps - in person meeting, salary, etc. - she tells me that they'll send work to me, and I'll receive assignments via email. And it's a part-time position.
    This is far removed from what the job posting described and raises more than a few red flags, so I asked for a formal offer letter detailing everything - salary, responsibilities, etc. - before I agree to anything.
    Still waiting, and the entire process was frustrating. If the interview process is any indication of how the company is run, I want no part of it.

Interview Questions

ITHAKA Response

May 14, 2019 – Talent Director

We are so sorry to hear that this happened to you.

Unfortunately, ITHAKA was one organization that was targeted in what appears to be a phishing scam. Someone is posing as employees of an... More

Web-Farm Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ann Arbor, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ITHAKA (Ann Arbor, MI) in January 2014.

Interview

I was initially contacted by a recruiter working on behalf of the company. The recruiter was top rate and helped me to understand the position and what the company was expecting. The first interview was a phone interview and I was impressed with the hiring managers demeanor and process during the interview. After the interview I was contacted by the recruiter to get my input on the interview on how I felt about the company. A week or so later I was contacted for the first in-person interview by the recruiter. The company is located in downtown Ann Arbor close to a lot of great restaurants and stores. The atmosphere at the JStor is relaxed. The interview was like having a conversation with a friend. The hiring manager discussed the next step which included interviewing with other members of the JStor team. I was contacted by the recruiter and he said things went great. About a week after that I was contacted by the recruiter and he let me know that they were making some adjustments to their staff and had stopped the process for this position. I was disappointed but understand that things change. Regardless JStor was a fantastic opportunity and keep my eye out for more opportunities with them.

Interview Questions

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ITHAKA.

Interview

Went through a battery of interviews, was quite impressed by the thoroughness (which isn't always the case at a non-profit). My 5 interviews were scheduled in one day and they were all on time. In my case, each interview was a 1:1, though sometimes JSTOR does 2:1. Interviewers were friendly and asked a variety of question types, mostly analytical or intended to see if you are a good fit. Nothing out of the ordinary: efficient, fair.

Interview Questions

• I was not asked some of the more traditional questions. However, I have seen other interviewees asked the classics, such as "what are your top weaknesses." It really depends on the position. For entry-level, expect traditional questions and think about why you want to work here. For higher positions, push yourself further to imagine what you would contribute. Many of my questions involved considerations of this nature.   1 Answer