Industrial Light & Magic Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Industrial Light & Magic Interview Questions

Interviews at Industrial Light & Magic

2.9

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Industrial Light & Magic (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Met for one in-person interview with a team of direct and indirect potential supervisors for a free form conversation. It was in a conference room and a number of people came in and out to ask about previous work experience, get a sense of my interests, and how I would operate in their work environment.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Industrial Light & Magic (San Francisco, MO).

Interview

There was first a phone interview that only lasted about 10-15 min. It was a breeze and they really just wanted to ask about who was generally... she only asked 1 or two questions. At the end of the call she said she would like me to come in for the in-person interview. The in-person interview took a while to schedule but it was a lot more formal and was pretty standard. She asked a lot about my resume and situational questions

Interview Questions

• What was a time you were not in charge and had to follow orders? Did you have a lot of jobs like that?   Answer Question

VR Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Industrial Light & Magic (San Francisco, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

I had an incredibly rude interviewing experience. It was probably one of the worst interviews I've ever had despite a glowing employee referral. A couple of the employees seemed to have huge egos, were arrogant, and were prima donnas.

Overall the interview was straightforward. They started off with a phone screen, they moved on to a timed coding test, then an onsite interview. The interview was typical white boarding questions and they had one person from product and one designer to round it out a bit.

Be prepared for lots of crunch if you join Industrial Light & Magic. Their *required* core hours currently are 9 am to 7pm Monday through Friday so that is already a 45 hour work week assuming a 1 hour lunch. Many of their employees talked about staying later 8pm - 9pm. Be prepared for long grueling hours. The benefit though is you get to work on intellectual properties such as Star Wars!

Interview Questions

• Whiteboard a function to determine if two oriented bounding boxes collide.   Answer Question

Senior Modeler Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Industrial Light & Magic (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I received an email form one of the Hr. then invited to the site interview with several senior and lead artists.the interview was positive,all of the artists and people i met was super nice.the range of questions was regarding my previous background,my technical knowledge and how i would face challenges during production time.

Interview Questions

• where do you see yourself in 5 years?   1 Answer

Character Animator Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Industrial Light & Magic.

Interview

Getting invited to the interview is very difficult without an employee recommendation. Be prepared to show a reel with plenty of creature and vfx shots. Much of their hiring seems to happen on an as needed basis without a lot of planning. If you have an interview, chances are they are interested and will hire you. Do not stress over the meeting as it is probably just a formality.

Interview Questions

• How would you have animated the shots on your reel differently, if you had to do them again?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They offered a set rate and did not negotiate.

Unix Administrator II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Industrial Light & Magic (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

NOTE: It's important to stress here that this was a "phone screening", not necessarily an interview. Everything started off quite well. This was my second time approaching the company for a position, as the first time I had a chance for an offer, I had already accepted work with a different employer. I applied for the position via the Lucasfilm Recruitment portal and was contacted in about 3 days by a Lucasfilm recruiter concerning the position. The recruiter asked no technical questions, but did ask character trait questions. In fact, I asked more technical questions concerning the position than anything else. After about a 30 minute discussion, the recruiter decided I had passed muster, and would be handed off to the hiring manager for the position. I was supposed to find out a decision within a couple of weeks as to whether I would move on to a technical interview or not.

A few days went by, followed by a couple of weeks, and now almost nearing a full month from the phone screen. Up until now, most other places I've interviewed where I've had at least a phone screen (Google) will have at least let you know if you're still in the running for the job no more than a week out from the initial contact on their part. So, it's a bit disconcerting when a company/organization goes this long without a substantial decision on a candidate's standing; it feels as if you've been forgotten about. As of this review I've still to hear back what the status is on this position and still see it listed as vacant on the front-facing job-portal site.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a little about yourself that's not on this resume...   Answer Question

Compositor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Industrial Light & Magic (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

I was called and asked many questions on my background. It was just a basic screening call. And was told to send my reel for review by the department leads.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Industrial Light & Magic.

Interview

The process went relatively quickly. Probably about a month from the first interview to the first day of work.

Had one major phone interview with the production supervisors and a couple talks with the recruiter.

In the interview I was primarily asked about work on reel, points on the resume, experience with specific areas of the job description.

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult or unexpected questions that I recall. However, I would caution that people who've been at ILM for most or all of their career have a lot of ILM-specific terminology and it can be easy for them to misunderstand what you're saying.

I know there were at least two or three points where I used language to describe something that I later came to find had a completely different meaning at ILM than it had at previous places I'd worked. So to them, something rather elaborate and technically complex you did somewhere else may have the same title/description as something trivial at ILM and therefore not only sound completely unimpressive, but may actually describe something completely different to them than what you're talking about.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The initial offers were far too low for an experienced artist. There was some back and forth on the salary. Ultimately reached a satisfactory arrangement.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Industrial Light & Magic (San Francisco, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

I applied for one position, and was interviewed for another. I did a phone interview with them 2 weeks after initially submitting, and there was the basic "why do you want to work here", "what kind of experience do you have" kind of questions. Very easy. They were also upfront about the job expectations as well as salary and benefits, which was a big plus to me. They liked me enough that they wanted to pass me on to the next round...

... but the next round never happened. After 6 weeks of follow=up calls and emails, I never heard back, save for maybe once or twice. Very frustrating. It's one thing to be rejected, but to be left hanging like that? Not great.

Production Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Industrial Light & Magic (San Francisco, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

The interview process was very fast and felt rushed. Most of the interviewees were late which and extremely busy, which I understand, but feel that my time was disrespected also. They were all very nice and felt approachable. I was able to ask questions as well. I felt like i did most of the talking which allowed me to fully explain my background and experience. Make sure you go prepared with your body of work and questions on hand. If you are offered a position then push for higher pay and a corporate housing if you need it. Overall I felt like the process was fairly easy and that if ILM is in a pinch they will quickly hire without fully thinking it through. Fortunately I was a great fit for them and them for me!

Interview Questions

• What production hurdles have I faced and how did I overcome them   Answer Question

Negotiation

not too much. Stand your ground and get more pay!