Instacart Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.1

1. Featured Interview

IOS Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Instacart (San Francisco, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

Long programming assignment before onsite (4 hrs.) Onsite is 4 interviews-- 2 iOS Specific and 2 non-tech and 1 lunch interview with 1-2 people. Very standard process compared to other companies in the Bay Area.

Interview Questions

• NDA, but a mobile app for the assignment and iOS Programming questions onsite. Standard behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Community Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Instacart (Atlanta, GA) in September 2018.

Interview

Very brief, easy, quick. One phone screen, followed by two one-on-one interviews back to back. Offer came later that same day. Recruiter was friendly and up-beat and definitely got me excited about working at Instacart.

Contractor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Instacart (Wichita, KS) in July 2017.

Interview

There was no interview basically you just fill out the forms and sent in a copy if a valid i.d. that was all there was to it. Pretty simple stuff, no questions at all.

Interview Questions

• Fill out your tax forms and give us a copy of your i.d.   1 Answer

Contractor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey Shore, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Instacart (Jersey Shore, PA) in August 2017.

Interview

Background check though email, in-store meet and great, sit down and meet shift leads in area.. great people easy going. The company has great moral and the leads are wonderful when telling you about the company very knowledgeable.

Interview Questions

• Basic knowledge of shopping , basic knowledge of company, out come , money to be made..   Answer Question

People Operations Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Instacart.

Interview

It consisted of a 30 min screen with recruiter, a top hiring manager phone interview, and then 7 interviews in person lasting half an hour each. There was also a challenge prior to the interview.

Interview Questions

• In-depth questions about past experiences, behavioral interview questions, dealing with challenging situations   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Initially got in touch via someone who knows a founder, then cold emailed them. Went through a initial phone talk and two coding tests at home. Came onsite for an interview (I thought) but it was actually a multi hour onsite code test. Given a task and a laptop and asked to implement a specific app. After that had a brief talk with the CEO.

Interview Questions

• Within a few hours, implement an app from a specification.   Answer Question

It seems like they want people to crank out features with aim at the short (very short) term, and not looking even six months ahead.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Instacart (San Jose, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied online..
    Recruiter replied back..
    Was given an link for Online Coding Challenge - 11 minute hacker rank on Publish Subscribe.
    - This line should make it 50 words since it has all tiny words. - :)

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Instacart in January 2017.

Interview

Had an initial conversation with a recruiter about software engineer position at the company. The recruiter was slow to response and flaked out when I couldn't reach him after a scheduled interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Instacart (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Saw a posting for a Rails Engineer position in a developer newsletter. Emailed my resumé and received a code challenge from Hackerrank. It was pretty simple and then had a call with an engineer, who asked me pretty standard questions about my background and why I was interested in Instacart. I then received a longer code challenge that involves building a Rails application. There were two parts to the challenge - one more frontend-focused and the other more backend, analytics-focused. It's certainly challenging and you need to be careful on which parts of the app you spend your time.

After that, I was put in touch with a recruiter, who told me more about the company and scheduled a time for me to come to the office for an onsite. During the onsite, I did a pair programming challenge that was fairly simple. Then talked to their head of design, software engineering team lead manager and VP of engineering. The talks with the head of design and VP of engineering weren't technical, but the engineering team manager did ask me to whiteboard how I might implement a certain feature for a web app, from the backend models to the frontend, and asked how I might ensure fast performance.

In the end, I didn't get an offer, but got good feedback on the areas I needed to improve in.

Interview Questions

• One of the technical challenges involved implementing a key/value store with certain features.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Instacart (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Started off with a contact by a recruiter on linkedin. Afterwards, I was given a code challenge on Hackerrank. Pretty straightforward code challenge there. Then I spoke with somebody from their dev team. Afterwards, the recruiter hit me up and set up a code challenge project. Seems like a project they reuse across their interviews. Wasn't too difficult, but it was pretty time consuming.

Afterwards they brought me on for an onsite. The onsite included an engineer, lead engineer, UX designer, and the recruiter as well. We did a pair programming challenge, and then your run of the mill interview questions with the non-engineers, kind of like a personality assessment. No whiteboarding, so that was a huge plus of this interview.

Interview Questions

• What was something you did wrong, and how did you fix it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Instacart (San Francisco, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

Was introduced via a headhunter company to a recruiter at their company. Spoke to the recruiter who was extremely passionate about the company. Was told that I would be given a HackerRank assessment to do and was given the choice of Java or Python. The actual HackerRank assessment was a horrible experience, I was not told that I would need my own functioning development environment and that I would have to upload a full Java project. I only figured this out after starting the 1 hour test on HackerRank and saw that they were expecting a java project to be uploaded. Wasted 15 minutes trying to set up an environment, 15 minutes trying to understand the extremely long problem statement, leaving me half the time to try to implement a solution. Ridiculously long problem for a one hour time slot and not enough information about what is expected going in.

Interview Questions

• Consume a streaming HTTP feed, find a password in a block of characters with some provided coordinates   1 Answer