Internet Brands Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Internet Brands Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2017

2.6

Web Dev Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Internet Brands.

Interview

Scheduled a phone call during finals week. Then the recruiter I spoke with decided to read over my resume 30 minutes before calling me, something he should have done before scheduling me for a phone interview during finals week. Said they wanted someone who had already graduated to take on an internship at $15 / hr with 29 hours a week. I'd make more if I worked at In-N-Out.

QA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasanton, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Internet Brands (Pleasanton, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

After a week of applying for the job, I was contacted by HR for a phone interview and upon the was giving two assessment test over hackerrank. Assessment test was very simple and easy. Upon that I was asked to come-in for onsite interview for 3 hours. 1st hour was another written test, consist of HTML, Javascript, Database, Linux basic command, Software testing scenarios, and 2 programming questions. Next was 2, 1on1 interview with Director of QA and VP of Engineering.

Director of Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Internet Brands (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Call from Recruiter. Walked through responsibilites. Referred to Senior management. Senior management took a good while to respond and moved two interviews. The Recruiter was all hype, then out me off when she went on vacation. The next alert I get is a scheduled interview, then that never happened and I needed to follow-up to botton down. Then the process kind of started over again, so I felt like they had recycled the process and grew a tad frustrated. After researching on Glassdoor some comments, I backed away. Only to for a Sr. Manager to call me directly and start asking some pretty penetrating questions. I almost felt that person didn't fully understand my background and possibly thought I was someone else. Needless to say I shied away for further discourse.

Interview Questions

• Management style. How would you "manage managers".   1 Answer

Marketing Role Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Internet Brands (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

The vibe you get interviewing in person at Internet Brands is that of 'justify your existence and the air you are currently consuming in the room which should rightfully be mine unless you successfully argue otherwise'. I can't remember interviewing anywhere that felt more sterile and more like a assembly line/factory. Even the recruiter prior to the face to face interview sounded like she was reading off a paper and 'checking off the boxes' rather than having an actual conversation with me, which is a classic peril of having very junior recruiters working on filling more senior roles (they don't have professional experience and reference points to find common ground with interviewees.

Net: Net---I was willing to suspend my disbelief about the poor reviews about Internet Brands on Glassdoor and interviewed anyway, however Interview Brand seems to very much stand up to it's reputation of being a factory farm that cares little about it's people and much about pleasing it's shareholders. It's quite a relief I did not get an offer, as I am confident I would be miserable working there.

Funny enough, the recruiter kept talking about how 'cool, kickback and fun' the culture at Internet Brands is, but everyone I interviewed with was very stuffy and stiff and the opposite of what she kept claiming the culture was really like.

Interview Questions

• One of the first things the recruiter shared was 'we don't match with 401k, is that going to be a problem?'   1 Answer
    • Would you mind doing a case study after this interview to show us how you think? (Aka will you do free work and provide free consulting for us so we can leverage the best of your mind and not pay you for it?)   1 Answer

Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Internet Brands (Los Angeles, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Recruiter did not call me at scheduled time so I emailed her to make sure we were still going to speaking. She called me about 15 minutes late and it was clear that she forgot about the meeting because she had no knowledge of my resume. She did not offer an apology or excuse for her tardiness. She opened the interview with "So do you have any questions". It seemed like rate was going to be an issue because she seemed rushed to get off the phone after I told her my current base salary. She closed the call by letting me know that I would be hearing back by the end of the week for a date for an in-person interview. I never heard anything back. The whole process was disorganized, unprofessional, and disrespectful of my time.

Interview Questions

• Are you open to recruiting for non-technical roles?   1 Answer

Corporate Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Internet Brands (El Segundo, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

I met with the initial recruiter who contacted me from indeed.com. She was really nice and left me with a positive feeling after meeting with her on my second interview on property. The interview was 2 hours long, because I met with 2 different people after meeting with her. The interview was going great until I met with the HR Director. This guy was all over the place and made me feel uncomfortable with his questions. He wanted to know who else I was interviewing with and wrote them all down. His phone was constantly ringing throughout the interview and he abruptly left when he received a phone call from the CEO who he announced before he picked up the phone. If I didn't speak out and say thank you for your time and thank you for meeting with me he wouldn't have said goodbye before leaving the room. I sent a Thank you letter to the recruiter who contacted me. They still have not contacted me back.. I assume I did not get the position.

Interview Questions

• What other companies are you interviewing with? How far are you in the interviewing process?   Answer Question

Senior Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Internet Brands (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I had a 1 hour phone interview with the project manager, mostly discussing my resume.Later I went for an onsite interview which lasted for 2 hours and questions ranging from some questions on functional programming concepts in javascript ,some SQLs and basic core java questions.

Interview Questions

• I was given some javascript code snippets and guess output.   Answer Question

Interaction Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Internet Brands (El Segundo, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Recruiter emailed to schedule a phone screening soon after I submitted my application online. Really simple phone screening, with questions regarding introduction, past experiences, desired compensation, and starting availability. Then I was given a design challenge in prior to on-site interview. The prompt was rather questionable. It was directly related to their product, asking to propose a new feature. I was highly skeptical of the challenge and its implications with regard to their design culture. I decided not to move on with the process.

SEO Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Internet Brands (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

The recruiter (in California) scheduled an interview and then blew me off. I have to leave my building and punch out to do an interview. An hour after she was supposed to meet, she sent me a one liner and said she had to push it back a half hour. I had already used my break and overextended it, waiting for her call. I even emailed her to see if we were still on. I told her I had no more time and asked to reschedule. She just ignored me. Unprofessional and I'm sure is not acting in the company's best interest by turning away talent. I withdrew my application and hopefully someone at Internet Brands will read reviews to see how their recruiters are not serving them.

Project Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Internet Brands.

Interview

Participated in the phone interview process at Internet Brands and refused any additional interviews from this company.

I'm sure there are some great people working for the company and they're creating innovative solutions. However my first impression with their company was unfortunately negative. Their HR recruiter scheduled an interview quickly after my resume submitted. When it came time for the interview, the interviewer was 20 minutes late for the call. Once we got on the phone, there was quite a bit of ambient noise in the background making it difficult to hear and concentrate on the task at hand. The first question asked was how much do I know about Internet Brands, as soon as I begin to respond I was asked to stop and requested a reschedule because the interviewer was expecting a impromptu meeting at any time. I said sure and was provided a few times that worked better for the interviewer. I accepted and patiently waited for our next conversation.

When the time came for the rescheduled call, the interviewer was once again 20 minutes late for the call. The conversation resumes and actually skipped over the entire part talking about the company. The entire time the interviewer asked questions off a script while mindlessly typing away my responses into her system. There was very little human interaction and felt very robotic. If this is their process, you might want to consider sending an online questionnaire to potential hires instead of having someone attempt to summarize anything I've said. If this internal recruiter was new to the company, I can possibly understand but after looking on linkedin, this person has been with the company for 5+ years.

Terrible first impression of the company, I definitely would not want to be part of this culture. Hopefully they see this review and address this process.