Internet Brands Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 16, 2017

2.6

QA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Internet Brands (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I was approached for an over-the-phone interview, and was told to take a few assessments before being sent to the hiring manager. These assessments were on hackerrank. The first assessment was more of a basic test showcasing you knew Computer Science. The second assessment was more in-depth, and while it was fair, I can see why people would be surprised by the coding question. The first assessment was really basic, and the second assessment was vastly more in-depth.

Personally, I do not like Hackerrank because the error log is very, very short, but I guess in the industry this is common practice.

Interview Questions

• Which element does the javascript provided create in the picture above?   Answer Question
    • Sum the series in which the nth term is expressed as Tn = n^2 - (n - 1)^2. If the number is too big, mod it using 10^9 - 7.   Answer Question

Ad Operations Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Internet Brands.

Interview

There was an initial screening by the recruiter who asked what kind of experience I had, what I was looking for in the position, and what commitment to this position was (whether I would stay for at least a year, etc).

There was also a case study I had to complete. They require you to know solid excel skills (vlookup, index match, etc), have some html/css experience, and knowledge of digital advertising (clicks, impressions, ctr, etc)

There were about three interviews in total when I actually arrived at the office. One was with the team/department manager, one was with the general manager, and one was with the recruiter who asked me if I had any questions.

Interview Questions

• How long will you be able to work here? When can you start?   Answer Question
    • What was something you liked about your previous work? What was something you disliked?   Answer Question

Community Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

Phone interview was requested a day after submitting a resume. Had a quick phone screening with HR, but she spoke super fast about the role that I literally had no idea what the position was about. Didn't ask me much question besides my background. Salary seemed to be way to low. If they need to hire someone with the skill sets they are looking for they've gotta bring the salary up higher.

QA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Internet Brands (El Segundo, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Got an email for a phone interview, the phone interview was pretty basic. Once you pass the phone screening, they send you 3 assessments. 1 of them is a multiple choice test, the second is a programming problem and the third is a case study. Its a lot of tedious busy work and honestly it might not even be worth it because the pay is ridiculously low. To the point where it is almost insulting. I was actually shocked that I did not get an offer because I was able to complete the assessments without struggling on them. One thing that I keep thinking of is how can you have such high requirements and expect the cream of the crop to want to work for you when you're paying so little? Maybe that's why there's always job opening for this company.

Account Specialist (Entry-level) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Internet Brands (El Segundo, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

I'm not sure if my experience is the norm or exception, but I thought the overall interview process was very fast. I had attended a university career fair and met with a recruiter who forwarded my application to another recruiter. I think that's how I was able to move quickly in this particular hiring process.

It took about about 3 days after I submitted the online application (on Monday) to get a phone interview with the recruiter (Thursday), then I got the Case Study Test the day after the phone interview (Friday) to be submitted the following Monday. (The Case Study Test only took an hour once you know how to calculate formulas in Excel.) Then, I was invited to do an in-person interview 4 days later.

More info on the in-person interview:
    The recruiter said it normally takes about 35 minutes-1 hr for the in-person interview, but my interview was nearly 2 hrs long. I spoke with the recruiter briefly who outlined the schedule, then the hiring manager (future boss), then a potential team member/co-worker, then the director of business development & revenue operations (the manager's boss). I found all three conversations to be really good experiences and practice in speaking to people of various levels who have different priorities in mind.

It will also probably help if you have specific questions for each person rather than having the usual questions about job responsibilities, opportunities for professional development/growth, company culture, etc. For example, I wasn't expecting to speak with the last person, but it also turned out to not really be an interview about me personally, but a conversation about what company culture means. Although in hindsight, I don't know if that was a different approach to figure out how I think about and approach certain topics...

Then, a little over a week later while a background check was conducted and the recruiter contacted my references, I heard back with a job offer, which was great news. However, I was only given 24 hrs to review the written offer. From what I had heard from friends and family and the various job sites/boards/advice/blogs, I thought it was customary to ask for at least a few days and a maximum of 1 week. I tried asking for more time, but the recruiter didn't budge on 1 day, and framed it more as if the recruiter was doing me a favor in extending the offer because they had another candidate waiting (which I'm sure is the case for most jobs...). I felt pressured to say "yes" due to the time restriction.

Up until the job offer stage, I thought the recruiter and company had treated me politely and with respect, which was opposite from what many of the reviews here on Glassdoor had described. But then, when I was given only 1 day to decide if I needed to move and even maybe buy a car (I don't presently own one since I could never afford it), it was very stressful and I felt like they didn't necessarily care if I took the job because, hey, no problem, there's another warm body who will take it right now. (I was also juggling another potential job lead that was a bit better in terms of salary and position, but 1 day was not enough to have the other company expedite their process for me.) So, I took a risk to see where the other lead went and declined the offer. (By the way, this entry-level position's salary seems fixed at $16/hr, which is why I gambled with the other lead .)

Needless to say, I never heard back from the recruiter after I gave my decision.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Internet Brands in September 2017.

Interview

Received an email to set up a phone call interview, I responded almost immediately then received no response for almost a week until I reminded the hiring manager to reply back to my email. The next day spent 30 min speaking to her and was told I was going to have a phone call with someone on the product team after I sent a portfolio of my work. Neither of which happened. I was immediately turned off by the disorganization of the process and interview. They need work

Senior PHP Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Internet Brands in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Internet Brands (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2017. I completed all rounds successfully, everybody like my profile. I was interviewed for couple of projects and both the manager liked my profile. I did couple of skype interviews and the round went well. Even after cracking the interview, I wasn't given any offer coz my expectation was high. The HR was really unresponsive, they didn't even give me any reason why I wasn't given any offer. I wrote 3 follow-up emails that's when I was informed that my expectation was high. I was very flexible with my expectation still they didn't bother to check with me.

Human Resources Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Internet Brands (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

When you come in for the interview there are multiple rounds of interviews. I met with someone who is like a coach, then two people the first official round and one more person the seco d round.

Designer Interview

Application

Interview

Do not waste your time with these people. I had a phone interview, 3 in person interviews, and did a case study which required an entire day of work. Got nothing but positive feedback the whole way through. Interviews all went really well, one of the interviewers told me my case study was one of the strongest he had seen. At the end of everything their recruiter said she would have an offer for me within a couple of days. Then, nothing. No response to my thank you e-mails. After another follow up e-mail I finally I got a response from the recruiter which was incredibly vague and forced me to read between the lines and figure out that it wasn't going to happen. No explanation. If she had given me a firm "no" and the reasoning behind it I would have at least respected it even if I disagreed. I deserved that much after all the time I invested in their interview process.

Reading the other reviews, I can see this is a very common story. I'm mystified as to how anyone ever gets hired here.

Interview Questions

• Are you willing to accept [insert incredibly low salary here]?   Answer Question

Payroll Interview

Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Internet Brands (El Segundo, CA).

Interview

The interview took about an hour. Two people came to interview me. One manager had one set of questions and the manager had another set of questions. The questions weren't difficult at all. The hiring process took about 2-3 weeks. I had to go through a background and reference check after my interview.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      What are your strengths?
      What kind of environment do you work best in?   Answer Question