JCE Structural Engineering Group Senior Structural Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

JCE Structural Engineering Group Senior Structural Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at JCE Structural Engineering Group

1 Interview Review

4.0

Interviews for Top Jobs at JCE Structural Engineering Group

Senior Structural Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pasadena, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at JCE Structural Engineering Group (Pasadena, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

Interview starts out with a 25 question Structural Engineer question quiz. Expect to be asked about academic concepts you really don't practically use! Expect to get yelled at because you couldn't recall a design concept that you learned over 15 years ago! Owner told me that I should know all seismic concepts even though I had not been in California for over 3 years! The man even yelled at me because I recalled all concepts of concrete design that were used in non-seismic states such as Texas and Minnesota! Owner told me I should have stayed in California even when there were no jobs available. If this is how he is about current events, I could only imagine how he is with engineering. Expect to be told you didn't design your buildings even though you actually did. The Owner never even heard that detailing seismic systems increases their ductility. Owner claims he will check references, but when the references call him back, he never responds to the phone calls. If this is the way the owner acts towarss potential employees, imagine how he treats his clients - not very good at all, in my opinion. During the interview, the Owner discussed the high turnover in his office - workers left the company in a matter of 90 days! The Owner constantly stated how he wants potential employees to think exactly like him or else he would not hire them. In his last email, he denied me the job and stated he would contact me in the future. That was almost 6 months ago - and hasn't happened yet he has posted the opening several times during the six months! Even worse yet, the OWner badmouths you behind your back by stating things that are not true at all. And I had a California Structural Engineer License to boot!

Interview Questions

• Which sesimic type is stiffer, a concrete shear wall, a steel moment frame, or a steel braced frame?   1 Answer