Jean-Georges Management Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1.6

Interviews for Top Jobs at Jean-Georges Management

Back Waiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pound Ridge, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jean-Georges Management (Pound Ridge, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

Had brief interview with the General Manager, and was hired and started the day of. The atmosphere of the actual interview was very lax. I was asked if i had ever worked in a restaurant before, if I was currently in school and how long i planned to work for the restaurant.

Interview Questions

• Have you worked in a restaurant before?   1 Answer

Back Waiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Jean-Georges Management (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Easy interview process. The interviewer was one of the managers. Very formal tone, very standard, not a lot of room for a smile or charm to come through. I was hoping for light banter, idle chit chat, to better get to know this manager, the environment, etc., but it was very professional and standard. Not good, not bad - pretty typical.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle being "in the weeds" or behind on your tasks?   1 Answer

Server Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jean-Georges Management (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

brief interview with assistant manager about what experience I have and what I think the job will consist of and how I think I can be a good teamwork to those around me

Pastry Cook Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jean-Georges Management (New York, NY) in March 2012.

Interview

Email head chef - trail - don't mess it up - get hired

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They offer you the job - no negotiations.

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jean-Georges Management in May 2011.

Interview

Open Calls would be posted online at www.Craiglist.com usually with the Restaurant's name indicating a time and date to be at a certain location to walk-in to an interview. The number of people that will show up is unknown. If you're interviewing for Back-waiter, Runner, Hostess, or Server, you will be interviewed by a Manager and/or the General Manager. If you are applying for a Manager or General Manager Position, you will be interviewed by the Director of Operations. If you are applying for a Dishwasher, Line Cook, or similar position, you will be interviewed by one of the two Chefs.

The interview is pretty informal. You'll be asked to sit in the Lounge area and the Manager will come to greet you. You will learn a little about the restaurant and then you will jump into the interview. They will ask you about your experience in restaurants, etc. This is the biggest point. You will usually be offered to train for a week on the spot (paid at the normal minimum wage (not the tipped-employee minimum wage))

If you remain working there for 5 total shifts, you've gotten the job and will submit paperwork at that time.

Interview Questions

• What type of experience do you have working in Restaurants?   Answer Question
    • How much money do you need to make in order to pay off living expenses?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There really is no negotiation. They will ask you about how much you need to make in order to pay monthly living expenses. They will use that to somewhat gauge which position would fit you best using your experience and that would meet you financial needs. The former will have a greater say in that though.

Pay is non-negotiable. All Front of House Staff receive the state's minimum wage for tipped employees plus tips. Tips are pooled together from everyone. A point system is used. Back-waiters get 3 points, Runners 4, Bartenders 5, and Servers 6. Hostesses will get 1 point. A point value will be determined by the manager by taking all the tips plus on the points that are working (mean if there is one busser, one waiter, and one runner, you have 13 points working). Point values will vary depending on the volume.