KVH Industries Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 13, 2017

2.4

Senior Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middletown, RI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at KVH Industries (Middletown, RI) in January 2017.

Interview

The initial interview is on the phone with HR to see how your skills fit with the job description. They give a brief overview of the company and how this job ties in, and then ask you if you have any questions. There are no technical questions, just an opportunity to sell yourself and your prior experience.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to talk about prior experience and projects that related to the position.   Answer Question

Senior Electrical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newport, RI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at KVH Industries (Newport, RI) in January 2017.

Interview

1. Interviewed with an external recruiter via phone. It was good as I walked through my resume, my career goals, and life goals. Also whether I was willing to relocate to RI or not. I told them I was willing to relocate as I needed to find out more about Newport RI with more time. Once you visit Newport RI then you will find out that it is a good place for family. However, the place is a ghost town during winter and only alive during the summer. Newport is disconnected and far away from other big cities of RI. Food pricing and other items are a bit more expensive than other cities in the US. You may need to take into consideration this.
    2. Spoke with manager over the phone. Again walked through experience, expectation, education, duties, and responsibilities. Then I was scheduled for an on-site.
    3. On-site interview. KVH paid for dinner, breakfast, hotel room, and parking fee. I was provided a walk thru the site, I only saw one shielded RF chamber in their place. But the chamber wasn't completely anechoic, which was weird since they dealt with satellite frequency. I didn't say anything. The office looked empty. Interviewed with some staff members, hiring manager, and manager of other divisions. The interview was more about telling your experience and what you have done in the past. I feel that the managers were conservative and micromanagers. They claimed they currently use Scrum for faster development. However, I had the impression they were using Scrumbut instead. The concept of Scrum is empirical process (agile for new features with uncertain results). But they use it to develop the same product with the same feature for the same customers, thus there is nothing empirical about the process nor innovative. I had Scrum knowledge but I didn't want to point this out to them, I kept quiet. It seems they use the system of cave and commons to micromanage their employees instead. I also kept quiet on this. I told them about the processes used by other companies, I felt they berated other processes. In addition, I felt I felt one of their "star" engineer had a huge ego and was very proud of his CAD choice and other CADs were not better than his choice. Again, I didn't want to prove, argue, nor inform him that other CADs may have better features than his choice. I felt like doing nothing and he seemed to be very proud of this feat.
    After the interview the recruiter provided me with health benefits of KVH. I compared it with the health benefits of my current company. KVH's health benefits were much more expensive and covered less than my current health benefits.
    In my opinion, it is not worth going to a place where its living standards were more expensive, insurance is higher, isolated from civilization, and the place is only alive during summer... Please consider the pros and cons before making a decision to work at KVH.

Shop Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tinley Park, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at KVH Industries (Tinley Park, IL) in December 2015.

Interview

Interview went well. Manager asked questions that were directly related to the position. They seem like a good company to work for. The manager said it wpuld be 2 weeks before they finished interviews and made a hiring decision. Seems like a small to medium company with some good people.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself and where you see yourself in the next 5 years   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at KVH Industries.

Interview

phone screening by outsourcing recruiter, then phone interview with inside human resources staff, followed by in-person interviews with several department staff members, and final group interview

Supply Chain Interview

Anonymous Employee in Middletown, RI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at KVH Industries (Middletown, RI) in February 2012.

Interview

Standard interview process with HR, hiring manager and other senior managers. Focused on experience. No behavioral questions. Overall job scope was ambiguous and manager was somewhat evasive on nailing down expectations. Lack of defined goals and expectations for the new hire.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at KVH Industries in March 2012.

Interview

The interview involved both behavioral and technical questions. It was very fast and straight forward. The interviewers were friendly and hopeful. There were a Q&A at the end of the interview. The focus of the interview falls more on finding out the personality and experience.