Lab Consulting Partnership Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Lab Consulting Partnership Interview Questions

Updated Oct 10, 2017

2.3

Internal Consultant Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lab Consulting Partnership.

Interview

Apply via LinkedIn. Get a call a few days later from someone at the Lab. Easy, generic questions. Pass this and you will get a very easy test to take at home. Very generic excel questions, basic research and other easy topics.
    Week later got invited in for an interview and this is where things went south. Quite simply, they weren't prepared and their interview process fell apart. For a company that prides itself on developing processes, they didn't show me one. I got one manager that took me back and just wanted to talk about how great the Lab was, how difficult it was. He then went into how amazing it was working with a new type of client. I messed this up when I reminded him that on my resume I had worked for that type of client for 15 years. He then went back to talking about how fast paced their work was, and then told me that people in Houston/Texas aren't equipped to work that fast paced. I then further ruined my chances by telling him that it was painfully obvious that they really didn't work with anyone in the oil/gas/energy market at all. He never really asked me questions, I guess I was just there to agree with how amazing they were at being so fast paced.
    I was then pawned off back to the original person who interviewed me over the phone. Got the chance to ask how many projects a person works on, and was instead told how many people work on a project. Further messed it up by relating to how this was opposite from oil/gas where you had many fast paced projects that all had priority and limited teams. Otherwise this was a waste of my time, we had already talked. Both of them seemed to not even want to discuss GreenBelt/DMAIC improvements when talking about processes.
    Didn't get to talk to the VP or whatever because their process was broken.
    Never got a call back, probably for the best as I had left the interview I didn't feel that this would have been the best fit for me if they had offered.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lab Consulting Partnership (Houston, TX) in June 2017.

Interview

I was a bit skeptical of both the positive and negative reviews on this site, so I thought I’d apply and make my own judgment. I strongly recommend reaching out to former employees on LinkedIn and getting their opinions of the company. If I had done it, I would've avoided applying in the first place.

The first 2 interviews consisted of phone interviews with senior management. They were ok interviews. The first interviewer asked about my current salary, but I declined to give it. It felt like the interviewers hadn't spoken to each other as they both asked the same questions. You didn't have time to ask questions as the interviewers just bragged about how well the company is doing, why they're better than the Big 5 and that they have over a hundred consultants (spoiler alert: they only have 15 consultants).

After the phone interview, you're given a simple Excel test as a homework assignment. There were no case study questions like the prestigious consulting firms do.

I was then flown in for an in person interview with the Owner/Founder and this is where things got weird. I was scheduled to meet with the Owner, but was sent to meet with a couple of other people from management instead. I was then taken to lunch by someone from management. At lunch, the management member bragged about how many consultants the company would fire during their first week. When we got back to the office, I had to wait about another 30 minutes before I could meet with the Owner, so I was sitting at their conference table by the front door.

While I was waiting, a current employee walked by and we introduced ourselves. He mentioned a few consultants had recently quit and that most consultants only last about 6 months at The Lab due to projects ending and overall stagnant growth for the company due to their weak Marketing and Sales teams.

He said if you want to survive at The Lab, you have to be willing to give up any semblance of free will (similar to a cult). At The Lab, the Owner is always right and will fire people who offer a different viewpoint. When I asked for more detail, he said to take the Negative Glassdoor reviews seriously since the company forces employees to flood Glassdoor with positive reviews that are reviewed by management. He also mentioned that nepotism is rampant at The Lab. If you disagree with the Owner's family members, they'll get rid of you.

I then met with the Owner and was given an offer that couldn't be negotiated, which also happened to be 15% less than my current salary. When I tried to negotiate, I was told there is no negotiation and that I could "take it or leave it because we have hundreds of consultants from the top consulting firms wanting to work for us." I declined the offer and was then kicked out of the Owner's office. I returned to the airport wondering why I didn't take the negative reviews on this site seriously.

Overall, it was a fairly easy, but horrible process. It just felt like the company was just trying to get me through the interview process quickly so they could replace the consultants who recently left.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to manage difficult clients.   Answer Question

Management Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Lab Consulting Partnership.

Interview

Had a phone call Interview and was pretty brief. Interviewer went on several minutes about how great the firm is and their projected growth. I then went over my resume at a high level. Interviewer then brought up the question of compensation and inquired how much I was currently making. I told him I'd rather not disclose that. He took that as an offense and informed me if I don't disclose that information, the interview process will not move forward. At this point, the interviewer was coming off extremely aggressive and pompous. Just by his attitude alone, I knew this wasn't the right firm.
    I didn't disclose my compensation because I knew he was going to use that as a baseline and low ball as much as possible. I told him no and ended the call.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Lab Consulting Partnership.

Interview

Easier than other consultancies; less structured; very easy tests done on MS Word and Excel. Don't need to prepare anything to pass those. Just a formality. Do the tests on your end at a fixed time with emailed files. That is the level of operation.

Marketing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lab Consulting Partnership (Houston, TX) in February 2016.

Interview

It was very informal. I applied one day on LinkedIn then got an email requesting an interview the next day. The interview was the following week, in which I was told I would meet with one of the employees. I met with her but had an additional interview I didn't know was happening until I got there. The same thing happened for the second interview, in which I met with the director of the company and the same additional employee. The questions were more of an assessment of what I thought of the company, plus what I brought to the table and hoped to achieve in my future.

I was skeptical of some of the reviews I had read on here going into it, and I noticed the company denying someone else's claim of receiving an offer right after the interview. As I left, I got a call from one of the people I met, asking me to come back to the office to work out the structure of an offer. I wasn't able to, but I received it over the phone (and written over email) later that afternoon.

Interview Questions

• What do you think we do here? (The rest was more conversational, just stating what I had experienced and us talking in unstructured conversation about the job and the company.)   Answer Question

Lab Consulting Partnership Response

Feb 21, 2016 – vice president

Thanks for the candid review.
    Just to clarify - you received an offer after your second round of interviews a week later. Not during your first interview.
    Best of luck to you.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lab Consulting Partnership.

Interview

Included phone and in person interviews, as well as an excel-based proficiency test. Met with one of the managers on a current project (sort of a second internal interview to see if they wanted me on their project) and with some of the Houston staff. There weren't many questions out of the ordinary - work experience, prior clients, leadership experience, etc.

Interview Questions

• They asked about a time that I had to step up and take control of a situation even though it wasn't my responsibility.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Lab Consulting Partnership (Houston, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

It was an extremely odd and unprofessional interview. They asked me bizarre questions and the interviewer was finishing up their lunch while interviewing me. Honestly though, not sure why they would call me in and not take the interview seriously. I have posted some of the crazy questions I was asked. As I write them out I am realizing now more than ever just how ridiculous this company is.

Interview Questions

• "Who would win in a fight between Spiderman and Batman?" "What's your favorite Disney Princess?"
      "Tell me a bedtime story." "Can you say: 'Peter Pepper Picked a Pickled Pepper' three times in a row without stuttering." "Would you be willing to help the boss's wife with things such as grocery shopping and mowing her lawn?" "Can you sing me your favorite song?"   Answer Question

Lab Consulting Partnership Response

Feb 12, 2016 – vice president

Fact check on this fake/troll review that was written to damage our recruiting efforts:
    1) Recruits are given the phone number of The Lab's employee they are to call. No Lab employees call recruits... More

Intern Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Lab Consulting Partnership (Houston, TX) in January 2016.

Interview

Behavioral questions, no technical questions. Must be a marketing major, if not has marketing experience. Must have personality because work is group work. You will interview with two different people, VP of Operations, and Marketing Manager. VP of Operations will describe the job role to you, and he will fill you in on what you'll be doing.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lab Consulting Partnership (Houston, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

Math and hierarchy test, interview with a manager, meet other managers, meet with CEO, get an offer. The whole thing takes a day. If you get an interview, you will get a job.

Interview Questions

• Math and Hierarchy test. General discussion on work history. No case studies and no critical thinking questions.   1 Answer

Implementation Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Lab Consulting Partnership (Houston, TX) in January 2015.

Interview

2 phone interviews. Be ready to tell "your story" and narrate your history. Then an exam. Then a trip to their home office to interview with 4 different people ranging from analysts to managing directors.