Language International Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Language International

Sort:

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Language International (Cambridge, MA) in April 2012.

Interview

I interviewed by phone, took several Smarterer tests, and then had an in-person case interview. The phone interview was pleasant and simple; just questions about my background (where I went to college, why, what kind of activities I did while in college, etc.) The Smarterer tests were easy. The case interview wasn't too hard either: basically, the interviewer just walked me through the business model of the company and asked some relatively straightforward math questions.

Admissions Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Language International.

Interview

I found Language International ad online and sent my resume. One hour phone interview with the owner went well, and they proceed with face-to-face interview same week.
    In a couple of days, after meeting both owners, one of the employees contacted me with the news that I was hired. She asked me to come next day. When I arrived she basically asked me to start working with NO OFFER made. Management was “out of the office”, and for the whole week no one bothered to talk to me about my rate and working schedule.
    I wasn’t impressed with their “office” either: manager's computers were placed on a pile of books, some old broken furniture was piled in the back of the "office".
    I wouldn’t recommend working in this company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Language International (Cambridge, MA).

Interview

I had a really unpleasant experience interviewing with Language International and think that they have a lot of nerve (and not in a good way). I initially had a phone interview that lasted 30 minutes which consisted of a discussion about my previous work and volunteer experiences. After this, I was invited to come into the office to interview, which I was looking forward to until I saw what I had to do to prepare for it. I was required to take 5 or 6 skill quizzes on Smarterer in math, excel, customer service, etc. I did not really mind this part, but they then proceeded to send me a whole Google Docs file that seemed like the Admissions Coordinator Bible as it had everything anyone ever would need to know as the Admissions Coordinator. I was required to read all of the information and take a quiz at the end of each section, which took a lot more time than you would think.

I went in the next day for a two hour interview simulation and math test. The math test was unnecessary and the manager who administered it came off as pretty condescending. I graduated with top honors in college and struggled with this test simply because I hadn't done multiplication with huge numbers without a calculator since middle school.

After making me feel like an idiot for 30 minutes too long, they asked me to respond to emails to get an idea of what I would be doing if I was hired. They then proceeded to judge every little word that I used and criticized everything as if I should have known what I was doing after 5 minutes on the job.

I've been on "working interviews" before and I've gotten paid for every single one. Not only was this unpaid, but I found it to be extremely unprofessional and ridiculous judging by the amount of time I had to put into it.

Needless to say, I couldn't have been happier to get out of there and never would have accepted the job even if they offered it to me.

Interview Questions

• Could you see yourself doing this every day?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Language International (Cambridge, MA) in February 2011.

Interview

Very presumptuous way of conducting interviews--math quizzes, word problems, etc. Lets completely disregard the fact that I have a stellar resume and a great education.

Interview Questions

Language International Response

Jun 9, 2014 – Hiring Manager

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your valuable feedback with us. I'm sorry to hear that you were unhappy with our interview method.

We use various types of interviews to test... More

Admissions Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Language International in September 2013.

Interview

Immediately after submitting my application online, I was contacted by the office and sent a simple online test to submit. It included math questions, word problems, and responses to simple customer services issues. Once submitted, I was contacted for an interview over the phone. I was led to believe this interview was with the person I was e-mailing, but it ended up being with one of the company's owners. 2 minutes before the interview, I had been e-mailed different web links with sample accounts. Once the interview began, instead of asking about my background, skill set, or interest in the position, the owner had me open the web links and begin a sort of test to find errors between accounts, using math. So, not only was I taken aback by the fact that I was speaking with the owner, not the person I had been in contact with the previous days, but I was put on the spot to walk the owner through my mathematical calculations and how I came to find my answers. Only after I had completed all the tasks did the actual interview start. The questions were very strange and unlike anything I had been asked before, like what it was to grow up in my area, what high school like, why did I decide to go to my specific university, etc. I then heard back a few weeks later that I was not chosen for another interview.

Content Management Interview

Interview

I had a half hour phone interview, which was fine except the logic problems they gave me beforehand I was supposed to know all of the answers and didn't. My in-person interview was supposed to be 2-3 hours but was only 45 mins, and was just me responding emails using different templates.

Interview Questions

• Could you see yourself doing this everyday? (after spending 45 mins responding to emails with templates.)   Answer Question

Multilingual Student Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Language International in April 2013.

Interview

Everything was pretty much straight forward. I applied to the position and was contacted a few days later for a phone screening/interview. The interviewer and I discussed the company, their goals, the position, my experience, and my goals. Very easy.

Admissions Coordinator/Student Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Language International (Cambridge, MA) in July 2013.

Interview

I applied online for the admissions coordinator role and was contacted the next day about arranging a phone interview. What happened next was the most insane waste of my time out of any interview process I've undergone. I was required to take an online test that consisted of math, customer service, email management, and other questions. A phone interview was then arranged, which was pretty standard. Then, I was asked to do a Skype interview, where I had to go through several case questions- very confusing and hard to understand exactly what you were expected to be doing. Then, I was asked to come into the office for an in person "test day." Beforehand, I was emailed about 5 links which each had extensive (probably 20 pages each) information with every detail about the way the company was run. There was also a section where I was expected to take more tests specifically pertaining to the admissions coordinator role. The emailed information also contained sensitive information such as dropbox usernames and passwords- it was all very weird and unprofessional, considering I hadn't been hired yet. It seemed very inappropriate, and like I was receiving some kind of orientation material intended for someone who had just been hired. After reviewing this information, I went into the office for the half day interview, where I was basically expected to sit at a computer and handle real customer problems, with zero training or experience. After about a week and a half, I was contacted and told that they thought I would be a better fit as a student advisor, and asked if I would come in for another half day "interview." I did, and I was again stationed at a computer and-this is particularly unbelievable to me- asked to make phone calls to actual customers, without having ever observed anyone else making one of these calls, and without any training. After about two more weeks, I was contacted and told they didn't think it would be a good fit, at which point I had already accepted another job offer. I have never experienced such a blatant disrespect for my time as I did with this company- the whole thing was completely unprofessional. I understand that this is a small start-up, but I got the sense that no one had any idea what they were doing. Essentially, what they need is a salesperson who can speak another language- they could have easily seen if I was qualified by a phone interview, an in person interview, and an interview in the other language I speak (one of their employees also speaks this language, so this could easily be accomplished). The entire process had nothing to do with the actual requirements of the job, and if I had known that I would ultimately be a telephone salesperson, I would never have sent in my resume in the first place. Additionally, through this entire 5 step process, no mention of salary was ever made. SO unprofessional.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Language International.

Interview

I applied online for an internship position and got an email shortly afterwards, asking me to complete a small quiz and an online test to judge my typing speed. After completing the quizzes (simple math and grammar questions) I got an email asking to set up a phone interview. The employee then called me an hour before the time we had agreed upon, and asked me to walk through three account sheets and find mathematical mistakes. I got asked two questions about my work, volunteer, and other activities in the entire 40 minute conversation. He then asked me to come in for an in-person interview. He started the in-person interview asking me if I had any questions about the business, and I spent about 25 minutes asking him questions. He did not ask me any questions about my experiences. He then asked me to write emails to actual customers, with very little guidance or background information. The entire interview took around 2 hours. He told me he would get in contact with me within the next week about the position. He did not get back to me for another three weeks, and by that time I had already accepted another offer. The entire hiring process was unprofessional and disrespectful.

Interview Questions

Language International Response

Jun 9, 2014 – Hiring Manager

Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback on the interview process. Your feedback is really important to us, so I've already shared it with my colleagues.

I'm so sorry to have called... More

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Language International in October 2014.

Interview

I had a very good experience interviewing with language international.

Immediately after submitting my application online, I received their invitation to schedule an interview with one of their hiring managers. The interview took about 30 minutes, and it was mainly focus on my previous work experience and what do I expect to learn from this internship. And then, the manager offered to answer any questions about this position and their company.

After the interview, the manager sent me a online exercise which is pretty interesting. It's about a simulated problem with their business partners. I am required to solve the issue and address an email to the business partner. This exercise helps me to learn more about their business model and the tasks.

Overall, it's a positive interview experience. The manager is so nice and efficient. And he spoke clearly about every detail of this position to make sure I fully understood the tasks and responsibilities and to make sure I am the right fit.

Interview Questions

• - Can you tell me your previous marketing work experience?
      - What do you expect to learn from this internship?   Answer Question