London Underground Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.2

Sort:

Contractor Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at London Underground (London, England (UK)) in June 2014.

Interview

London Underground / Transport for London use a lot of contractors across the business. I was hired by an agency and for a role with an immediate vacancy. An initial interview with the agency, followed by an interview by the recruiting manager. The total contract was 6 months and it was asked to be extended but I declined as had another role to go to.

Interview Questions

• All about my experience on my CV, relevant examples, etc..nothing surprising.   1 Answer

Strategy Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at London Underground in June 2008.

Interview

One Competency based interview, numerical assesment, Detailed application form, During the interview, I Was given a typical Underground construction project and asked to describe how i would approach solving the problem.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would approach solving a typical undergroundcongestion problem   Answer Question

Negotiation

Yes, had another offer from a different company, and was able to raise the undergrounds offer.

Finance Controller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at London Underground (London, England (UK)) in April 2013.

Interview

Applied on line by submitting my CV along with a cover letter outlining how I meet the skills, knowledge and experience requirements for the role.
    Received an email invitation to the interview.
    The interview was very structured competency based with 5 competency questions and 1 or 2 technical questions, they ask a lot of probing questions to get a complete answer from you and then score your response from 1 to 5, depending on your level of experience and the quality of your answer. Depending on the role, the applicant may also be asked to do a presentation.

Interview Questions

• Think of a time you had to go against senior management in your decision to achieve something. What did you do, how was it received and what was the outcome.   Answer Question

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at London Underground (London, England (UK)) in June 2011.

Interview

HR messed up arranging the interview six times! They sent me to the wrong location twice on the wrong dates and when I phoned them each time they said they couldn't find the job. Couldn't find the job! They then said the job had been changed to train driver (lol!) when I gave them the advert number. They were making it up as they went along but in the end the employing manager phoned me and apologised. He said something about budget cuts and re-orgs had caused HR to 'get confused very quickly'. I just laughed and was relieved that something was now being done.

The interview was for only twenty minutes and something that I will never forget. The lady from HR who guided me to the interview was really rude and gave me the impression she didn't want me to get the job. She made some catty remarks and was saying how late I was - I had been waiting in reception for 20 minutes! I felt like a second class citizen after the way she spoke to me.

Interview type: Competency based areas were: accountable, active, direct, fair and consistent, and impossible.

For each area you needed to give one word answers to each of these baffling questions they fire at you. The key each time was to say yes and nod in a very exagerrated way (which I soon realised early on when the employing manager started to move his head back and forth dramatically, winking each time). Maybe it's a london underground thing but I thought it was weird! I'm only glad that I wasn't wearing my toupee that day. I copied him each time and saw him writing 5 out of 5 when I started to do it - magic. It's part of their 'learning on the job culture' they've been trying to introduce it to make them more dynamic according to the programme manager. Just plain odd and something that I've never seen anywhere in 15 years of work experience.

They just gave me the job after this in large part because I said that I needed to get experience in Project Management and they said they wanted to help those who were enthused by their profession. They said they would pay QA to get me trained in Prince2 if I needed it and offered to re-imburse me, which is what happened. They said my experience was really good for what they wanted - I had in the past driven a bus for a large number of elderly people across to various locations around london and this really got them excited. They said that it matched the vision and the blueprint of the programme which was to expand the network.

Regarding the rude lady from HR who kept making snide comments, it made me want to project manage her out of the company when I got the job! Turns out she was trying to get her brother into the job. I will never want to see her again!

HR insisted on a job check and security clearance check and this took them and their consultants four and a half months to carry out. They were not helpful when I asked them how long it would be which was really awkward as I had to time my notice for my current employers. They kept phoning up my boss saying they had lost his reference that he had to 'fax over'. Fax? We're not in the 1980s anymore! Thankfully I was on good terms with my previous boss.

One thing that continues to confuse me is the strange interview and the relevance of the elderly people being driven by bus - I'm an IT project manager now so I can laugh about it.

Despite not actually enjoying the the interview, it was worth it as I've never been paid so much money to do so little - fortunately there is no accountability and nothing ever gets done. Good luck to others.

Interview Questions

• Phone interview questions: Why do you want to work at LU? What skills will you bring to the job? Have you ever taken your company to tribunal? Do you have any outstanding leave? What do you understand by CRM? What is the biggest failure you have ever had? (strange!), How much do you earn? How likely are you to accept the job?   1 Answer

CSA Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at London Underground (London, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

It started with a role play exploring how a lady with a disabled friend could make a "Step Free Access" journey on the underground. My advice would be to use the "Pocket Tube Map" to mark out the journey explaining what any symbols mean.

This was followed by basic maths and english exam and then a 30 minute competancy interview.

Interview Questions

• Explain how you have demonstrated world class customer service?   1 Answer

CSA Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at London Underground (London, England (UK)) in September 2013.

Interview

You have to apply using the tfl.gov.uk site. Upload a CV and answer the questions, if good enough you get called for telephone interview and asked competency based questions. If they are happy with your answers you get invited to an assessment day where you do a roleplay, mathematical, english and reasoning tests once passing these you do the interview.

Advanced Train Maintainer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at London Underground (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Psychometric tests followed by a competency based interview on different days. describe a situation when you did abc, how did you do it and what were the results. try and use the STAR technique

Underground Cleaer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Old Street, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at London Underground (Old Street, England (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

i interview work out fine and i answer all the question the the lady was please with the interview gave me more experience and i got the job

Interview Questions

• when will i start work what days can iwork   3 Answers

Safety and Systems Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at London Underground (London, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

initial application had a few competency questions, then followed by a interview face to face. interview is very easy, not too difficult. make sure you read up on some of the latest figures and current projects with London underground. When you apply for London underground don't refer to the term TFL in interviews.. TFL is the wider body..

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your self?
      What has been your biggest challenge?
      why safety?