Lookout Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Sort:
  1. Featured Interview

Senior Product Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Lookout (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Short and sweet. My first round was with the hiring manager and we both felt strongly that this can be a good match. I then met the team and had few rounds of one on ones and a group presentation on my projects.

Interview Questions

• My past work, experience and process work.   1 Answer

Contract Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lookout (San Francisco, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I first received an email from HR and scheduled a phone interview with one person in the department later that week. The call went smoothly and felt more like a conversation. I received a secondary email that I would be invited for an on-site interview where I would interview with the other 2 people in the department as well as meeting with the first person who I spoke to on the phone. At the onsite interview, the first person I met with in the department told me that the executive who was scheduled next to meet with me simply "decided to leave for the day". This was at 1:00 PM on a Friday. I thought this was unprofessional especially since the interview had been scheduled for a week already. So I continued to be interviewed by this person which consisted of typical questions. Next, I met with the woman in the department who I spoke with on the phone. She was very lax and didn't feel it was necessary to conduct another interview with me since we already talked. She wanted to discuss the company and department. She didn't leave much space for me to speak except when she wanted to know about me. I felt the tone was unprofessional. I had to email HR after 2 weeks of not hearing back to see if they had reached a decision.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Lookout (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied online through the official website. Whole interview process usually consists of technical phone screens, onsite interview with 1-2 people, optional second follow-up conversation and usually takes 3 weeks.

I had a phone interview with the engineering manager about my experience, past projects, and technologies I used there. I enjoyed talking with him. Then they disappeared for 10 days without any reply. After that recruiter contacted me and told me that role I interviewed for was put on hold, but another engineering manager is very interested in my candidacy. Unfortunately, I already found a job in another company at that moment.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your past project that you are most excited about   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Lookout.

Interview

One or two phone interviews followed by a full day of onsite interviews. Usually 3-4 interviews, consisting of a pair of interviewers. One will be pure coding (can you write code on a whiteboard), one will be architecture/design, and one will be a sort of vague culture/team fit interview. If there's a fourth interview, it'll be with the hiring manager, tying up any loose ends.

Interview Questions

• Questions really vary from interview to interview. I'd be prepared to re-design a popular social media service on the spot. Obivously not end-to-end in detail, but they want to see how you approach such a problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lookout (San Francisco, CA) in December 2011.

Interview

The person in charge of recruiting was very polite and easy to communicate with. I had a phone interview first in which the employee asked about my background with Android. My second interview was talking in general about my current job and the projects I've worked on. The next interview was in person. I was given a math based question that was fairly difficult but definitely solvable. I stumbled on the problem quite a bit. Seems like they like to interview 2 on 1. I have a 2 on 1 phone interview and then a 2 on 1 in-person interview. No further interviews. No offer.

Interview Questions

• Determine the nth fibonacci number recursively.   4 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lookout.

Interview

Process was quick. People move fast in this company. Seemed very efficient.
    No crazy questions. Questions ranged from general algorithms to high level system design stuff. Having some knowledge of how a full web stack works helps a lot. A lot of encouragement given during interview.

Team is tightly knit and very energetic and fun. Office is fantastic. Culture is very informal and friendly.

Interview Questions

• I was asked UI design even though I wasn't interviewing for that position.   Answer Question

Good company, got a slightly better offer elsewhere. Difficult decision to let go of this.

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Lookout (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Met with several members of senior leadership: VPs, Directors, and line managers over several days, reviewing what I do from day to day in my current role, quick skills check, lots of discussion about operations and reliability.

Interview Questions

• What was your greatest accomplishment in your current position?
      Do you mind that I'm interrupting you constantly?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lookout (Houston, TX).

Interview

Applied through Linkedin and called for an initial phone interview that evening. After initial phone interview which was pretty informal, I was moved to the next step in the process - another phone interview with the Product Manager. This interview was almost a duplicate of the first but lasted longer and the interviewer was somewhat impersonal. I was told at the end of this interview that I would hear back from them in a couple of days. It has been over a month and I haven't heard from anyone at Lookout. I've sent 2 follow-up emails to both interviewers and still haven't gotten a response. I can't understand how a successful startup can treat candidates so unprofessionally.

Marketing Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Lookout (San Francisco, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Very smooth process, very efficient. When you walk in, you get a list of all people you will interview with along with their pictures and job titles. Makes it really easy to know who you're talking to.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lookout (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Phone interview with the recruiter was short and good. Regular question about work background. First round of interview with Hiring Manager- asked about strength and weaknesses, tell me about yourself, job background and regular AA questions. Came back for a panel interview with the team- everyone was genuine and friendly. Nothing too difficult. Great office and great vibe

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lookout (Boston, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

Overall an awful experience. The first few one on ones interviews were good. We talked about API design and security, testing and TDD. However the last interviewer was terrible.

The last interviewer (I believe a principal engineer / architect) was clearly not interested in talking to me. He spent more of his time checking his email than listening to my answers to his questions.

The questions he did ask were very vague, but he had very specific answers in mind. One such was "I have a slow query, how do I make it faster?" Apparently the answer was shard the database. After a minute of talking through things I would do he got frustrated and said "The answer I was looking for was sharding." and then moved on.

I was then asked to write some code on paper for finding repeated substrings which I did quickly in a few lines of code. I was then asked to do a code review on my few lines of code, which I did while he read his email and didn't seem to pay attention to a word I was saying.

He then went on about how Lookout is doing some groundbreaking work, and then said "you can't look up the problems we have here on stack overflow and paste the code in." In a way that very clearly implied that's how he thought I wrote code.

I was sent a rejection email within 5 minutes of walking out of the building with no feedback.

Avoid interviewing with this company at least in Boston, they're not worth your time.

Interview Questions

• I have a slow query, how do I make it fast?   1 Answer