Lookout Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 26, 2017

2.7

Director of Channel Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Lookout (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

30 minute first interview with hiring manager. The manager was very qualified and clearly had a lot of expertise but is also quite young for VP level. They clearly were looking for younger talent vs highly experienced.

Interview Questions

• Interview questions were very high level, meet and greet type questions.   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Lookout (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Phone interview with the recruiter was short and good. Regular question about work background. First round of interview with Hiring Manager- asked about strength and weaknesses, tell me about yourself, job background and regular AA questions. Came back for a panel interview with the team- everyone was genuine and friendly. Nothing too difficult. Great office and great vibe

Business Intelligence Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Lookout.

Interview

Phone interview. Felt like the interviewer didn't want to interview at all and he clearly didn't give a darn about the concerns/questions I raised. He's really just looking for someone that's highly technical in SQL. Already sounds like a company that uses employees and replace as needed. Closed-minded and no vision for future. Felt disrespected and ignored.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lookout (Boston, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

Overall an awful experience. The first few one on ones interviews were good. We talked about API design and security, testing and TDD. However the last interviewer was terrible.

The last interviewer (I believe a principal engineer / architect) was clearly not interested in talking to me. He spent more of his time checking his email than listening to my answers to his questions.

The questions he did ask were very vague, but he had very specific answers in mind. One such was "I have a slow query, how do I make it faster?" Apparently the answer was shard the database. After a minute of talking through things I would do he got frustrated and said "The answer I was looking for was sharding." and then moved on.

I was then asked to write some code on paper for finding repeated substrings which I did quickly in a few lines of code. I was then asked to do a code review on my few lines of code, which I did while he read his email and didn't seem to pay attention to a word I was saying.

He then went on about how Lookout is doing some groundbreaking work, and then said "you can't look up the problems we have here on stack overflow and paste the code in." In a way that very clearly implied that's how he thought I wrote code.

I was sent a rejection email within 5 minutes of walking out of the building with no feedback.

Avoid interviewing with this company at least in Boston, they're not worth your time.

Interview Questions

• I have a slow query, how do I make it fast?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Lookout (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied online through the official website. Whole interview process usually consists of technical phone screens, onsite interview with 1-2 people, optional second follow-up conversation and usually takes 3 weeks.

I had a phone interview with the engineering manager about my experience, past projects, and technologies I used there. I enjoyed talking with him. Then they disappeared for 10 days without any reply. After that recruiter contacted me and told me that role I interviewed for was put on hold, but another engineering manager is very interested in my candidacy. Unfortunately, I already found a job in another company at that moment.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your past project that you are most excited about   Answer Question

Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Lookout (San Francisco, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Was contacted by hiring manager by email, spoke about role on phone and got scheduled for an interview all within 3 days, interview on 5th day. Interviewers including hiring manager were quite open about issues they're facing, technical challenges and such.

And then radio silence. Sent follow-up email, radio silence.

At the least, it's a matter of courtesy to reply to candidates and give feedback even if it were a no. Lookout definitely needs to improve on this aspect.

Marketing Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Lookout (San Francisco, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Very smooth process, very efficient. When you walk in, you get a list of all people you will interview with along with their pictures and job titles. Makes it really easy to know who you're talking to.

Senior Software Quality Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Lookout (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

They are moving fast. The recruiter was very friendly and efficient. There were one phone interview, then onsite interview. I have been to many onsite interviews, but I felt very bad about Lookout's onsite interview arrangement. The onsite interview has 4~5 rounds cross the lunch time, each round has two people. First round I interviewed with two people from iOS dev team. One people asked me an algorithm question needed to use recursive. Since I have out of school for a long time, I only know what real work automation programming needs to use, I couldn't answer this type of question anymore. This type of question is for new grad. But this job title is "Senior Software Quality Engineer". Also the productivity of experienced engineer is 10 times more than a new grad. After a while, I asked them to ask another question instead. But they only prepared one question, mainly a young guy, he didn't prepare anything else. Then there was next round, two QA engineers, asked test cases, it went well.

After that, it's lunch time, but the recruiter came in and said that the following interview would be cut, no lunch ($8-$9). It's kind of disgusting, this type of thing will make interviewers feel bad, and may damage Lookout's reputation on recruiting Engineers. When I think again, it may be because each round two people are a lot of resource, but I think that each round only one person asks questions, why they need two people in the interview at the same time. Even there are 8~10 interviewers, but only one person is allowed to ask coding questions. I feel that his question is not practical at all. But no one else is allowed to ask practical automation coding questions to balance that out. I feel that their programming questions are more favor new grad and junior engineers, but I don't think you want to hire all new grad and junior engineers in the team.

Interview Questions

Lookout Response

Aug 19, 2015 – Senior Recruiter

We are sorry that you had a negative experience during your interview. We appreciate your feedback and take these concerns seriously. in the meantime we will thoroughly review our engineering... More

Senior Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Lookout (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Met with several members of senior leadership: VPs, Directors, and line managers over several days, reviewing what I do from day to day in my current role, quick skills check, lots of discussion about operations and reliability.

Interview Questions

• What was your greatest accomplishment in your current position?
      Do you mind that I'm interrupting you constantly?   Answer Question

Talent Acquisition Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Lookout (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Had an Initial phone interview, followed by in-house interview with some of the TA team. Also met with the Vice President of the client group. In house time was approximately 4 hours onsite. Was contacted by email on the follow-up (did not get offer).

Interview Questions

• No stumpers - every interviewer seems to have had concerns on how to approach leadership that is not being available to interview, not doing their part of the TA cycle. Red flag if this is a trend as it shows a lack of trust in TA by leadership and/or a lack of influence by TA to leadership.   Answer Question

Lookout Response

Sep 3, 2015 – Senior Recruiter

Since this role was to support recruiting for the SVP of Sales, general availability is always something that needs to be navigated around. This is not a lack of trust in Talent Acquisition within... More