Lulu.com Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Lulu.com Interview Questions

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lulu.com (Durham, NC) in October 2015.

Interview

After the on-site interview I have some serious doubts about this company's future, and would recommend engineers avoid it due to hints of a bad working environment.

Started with a phone screen with a lead, then on-site with different groups. Almost all the on-site was personality/soft-skills questions with a little light discussion of their tech stack (a bit of a mess, but that's not rare). One trivial coding problem, but to be honest they didn't go deep enough to see if my technical skills were good or not. It felt like my skills were less important than willingness to put up with the chaotic environment, and they emphasized solving problems *fast* over doing them right.

Final interview was where it really went bad, with a senior executive. He came off very egocentric and not particularly pleasant, and bragged about how an effective manager could run a technical company without knowing anything about tech. Basically: "I don't need to understand this to make decisions about it."

Questions about the future plans for LuLu yielded suggested that after being crushed by Amazon's publishing arm, they were going to try to cater to some (very small) niche markets. I think the final straw was that he pushed for an early start date if hired and wouldn't accept a few extra weeks to allow for knowledge transfer. Also seemed horribly offended that I wouldn't reveal where else I was interviewing.

All in all: it feels like the company had very shaky leadership vision (not surprising with the turnover), a significant amount of technical debt and architecture issues, and didn't place much value on technical competence. Of course I didn't let any of this show, but still it was not a good impression to make.

Interview Questions

• Mostly soft skills & personality questions. One trivial coding problem.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

Initial general interaction. They explained about work done by company and the work culture of company.

Interview Questions

• Initial interview about interest in company and education and work background.   Answer Question

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Lulu.com (Raleigh, NC) in February 2013.

Interview

Very polished interview process. Excellent communication and frequent touch-points to let me know where I was in the process. I enjoyed it.

Interview Questions

• Lots of questions about risk taking - a nice change from the normal corporate interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Be up front about your skillset and expectations with ANY job offer - better to walk away from a deal than get 6 months in and have regrets about your salary (or worse, for your employer to have regrets about your performance).

Services Fulfillment Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Lulu.com (Raleigh, NC).

Interview

It took six weeks and HR was very vague through the process. I did a few phone interviews and a four person panel interview a couple of weeks later. Also, a very in-depth background check is performed, and they want every supervisor from your listed jobs to vouch for you. After six weeks, I was offered employment but was never told what the rate would be, and I was shocked. It was barely above minimum wage. Learned my lesson to always know pay before wasting six weeks of time.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were average, things like "Tell us about a time when you resolved a customer's issue and turned a negative situation around?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

No room to negotiate. Worked for staffing agency very low wage, hoping it would lead to more.

Senior Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lulu.com (Raleigh, NC) in March 2012.

Interview

Two phone interviews, a four-person round-robin behavioral interview (very grueling), and a final interview with the CEO.

Interview Questions

• Think of a time you took a risk in your career and failed. How did you handle the failure and what did you learn?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiating on salary. I was told the salary would be below my previous salary, but it exceeded my expectations - particularly with the stock options and level of benefits.

Product Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Lulu.com (Raleigh, NC) in June 2011.

Interview

I applied via Craigslist (yes really) and came in for an in-person interview (no phone interview). I was hired a couple of weeks later. I met with an HR person and the head of the team for which I would eventually work (product).

User Experience Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Lulu.com (Raleigh, NC) in May 2011.

Interview

Phone Screen, and two rounds of in person interviews. First round included HR manager, then with the director of software development, then with one set of members of the team. The team interviews included a code review and discussion of various rendering techniques, as well as a separate white-board talk w/a different set of team members. The second round in-person interviews was with executive staff.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult set of questions surprisingly enough came from the product management director, who was interviewing the position as if they were hiring a product manager, and got very grumpy when I didn't answer questions correctly about business models, pricing strategies, and running marketing campaigns.   Answer Question

Software Engineer III Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Lulu.com (Raleigh, NC) in December 2010.

Interview

They use behavior based interviews so be sure to be able to talk about specific times when you did X and what effect that had on the business and what you learned from it. They'll tell you that when you show up. When they say *specific* they mean _specific_. Don't tell stories that start with "I always" or "sometimes I" but, rather, tell ones like "shortly after starting project X when it became clear that Y...." I've been both interviewee and interviewer there and it helps if you play along.

The interview is split into several small 1:1 or 2:1 meetings that last from 30 to 45 minutes each. Be sure to stay hydrated or you'll get a headache from all the talking.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lulu.com (Raleigh, NC) in April 2007.

Interview

Very laid back, like the company. Asked a mix of serious questions and more personal (what's on your iPod).

Interview Questions

• What's on your iPod right now?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Ended up as an unpaid internship, negotiated part time terms.

General Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Lulu.com in February 2010.

Interview

The HR rep took abt 10 mins trying to figure out whether I got laid off without asking it outright. I was not, but the questions made it seem like the company would discount potential employees who have been laid off even if performance was not a factor. I did not understand why it would be important to know if I was laid off as many quality employees have been laid off due to the economy.

Then the rep remarked on a slight gap on my resume and asked if I had quit without another job lined up. I said "yes," then the HR rep gasped and asked, "how did you do it? Did you have savings?" I was so taken aback that I just said "yes" and the response after that was "but still.."

Interview was fine after but the first half left a bad taste in my mouth.