Mackenzie Investments Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Mackenzie Investments Interview Questions

Interviews at Mackenzie Investments

2.8

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mackenzie Investments.

Interview

I received a email from HR to attend a group interview session. This session included a short reading/ comprehension test and then a one on one interview. The test is very basic and is designed to verify your English language skills. The interview had a lot of situational questions about customer service.

Client Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mackenzie Investments (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in April 2014.

Interview

Situation questions , reading and analytic test.
    Group test and individual interview.
    At first you have an interview then a quizz.
    The interviewer was very patient.
    The quizz contains analytical questions and reading test.

Analyst Interview

Interview

it was long. three to four rounds.

Interview Questions

• what was your biggest failure/mess up at your previous job (non-school related), and what you did to fix it.   Answer Question

low pay

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Mackenzie Investments (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2019.

Interview

Very unprofessional. Did not ask anything about the role. Very arrogant and condescending. Interviewer just seemed uninterested. Came late to the interview. Just kept looking at his watch. Never apply again.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Mackenzie Investments (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2014.

Interview

Submitted resume, HR contacted me to let me know I was selected to interview. Interviewed over the phone with a manager and team member and got a response a few weeks later.

Senior Systems Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Mackenzie Investments (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Had 3 interviews in all. An on-site panel interview to begin with. Met with a couple of Portfolio Architects and the Career Centre manager.

Follow up interview was two hours; first hour with a second panel (all of the same people from the previous panel except one of the Portfolio Architect was replaced by a Divisional Architect) and the second hour with HR. Typically HR is the first however here HR was the last to interview.

The Architecture team's hierarchy is the Chief Architect <-- Divisional Arch <-- Portfolio Arch <-- System Arch

Last question HR asked was the salary expectation and I gave a range.

A week later I get an email from HR that started off congratulating me and wanting to move ahead with reference checks. I assumed the salary was OK and that this was a step in the right direction. A week later once the checks were done, I get an offer which was 15k less than what I had asked for!! It was thoroughly
    disappointing to say the least. I am not sure why the salary was not negotiated earlier as opposed to waiting after all the reference checks were done and preparing an offer. It was completely backwards. Regardless, I countered by lowering my range and yet again, they low balled me and did not meet my expectation.
    Upon my declining, I got calls from HR (trying to sell the "total compensation package" which is typical of financial firms) and a Director who I had never met earlier trying to get me to accept the offer.

I guess they are a typical financial firm who are not willing to pay even the industry averages to get the right people and will simply low ball you.

The whole process from the 1st interview till the last phone call on the offer took 6 weeks. Unfortunately most of it was time wasted due to inefficient and inexplicable processes at Mackenzie.

Advice: Negotiate salary and ensure it is OK before proceeding further with these guys.

Interview Questions

• The questions were not difficult but repeated since most of the people in the panel were the same.

Technical questions:
      * What are the components of an SOA?
      * Give us an example of a project you are proud of and what/how you contributed to it?
      * How did you influence a group of people on a particular solution?

HR/Behavioral questions:
      * How can you be successful at this job?
      * Salary expectation.   Answer Question

I have outlined the reasons in the "Hiring and Interview" process section.

Business Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Mackenzie Investments (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2017.

Interview

My interview process was a positive experience and involved two phone conversations (1 with the HR Consultant (Jennifer Mensah) and 1 with the Hiring Manager), and 1 panel interview (Hiring Manager and Team Member). Throughout the entire process, Jennifer Mensah was extremely helpful and supportive. She was always open with her communication and I never once felt like I was forgotten as she always made it a point to call me with updates.

Interview Questions

• Questions focused on the following items:
      - Experience working within Architecture and collaborating with business and technology
      - Experience related to business analysis and consultation
      - Several behavioural and situational questions   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Mackenzie Investments (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2017.

Interview

HR called me and did a 3 question screening for a job I didn't apply to and the next day (Friday) called to say I was shortlisted for an interview on Monday with her and a VP. I applied for a different position and HR said this "unknown job" was a more pressing deadline to fill and that I would be considered for both positions when I asked and throughout the phone call, she laughed for no known reason, which I thought was odd. HR could not provide me with a proper job description in writing and said she'd forward me a generic posting, but didn't explain why she didn't have a posting, and she pressed that this job is confidential! Who does this regarding the job posting? Suspicion #1.

Senior Legal Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Mackenzie Investments in November 2015.

Interview

Applied and got a phone call mid-Nov for this position. Scheduled an interview with Legal Counsel and the AVP on November 24, 2015. This interview went seemingly well, and we all seemed to get along great and everyone left the meeting excited. A couple of days later, HR called to schedule me for a 2nd interview with the VP, Legal on December 1, 2015. This interview also went seemingly well. On December 17, 2015 I received another phone call from HR informing me I was the preferred candidate, but they still needed some time to sort out how to manage my 2nd job. On December 18, 2015 I got an email from the AVP asking to schedule a call to discuss my 2nd job, which we did on December 21, 2015. Again, everything felt fine and seemed to be on track.

On December 23, 2015 I got a call from HR asking when I could start, as they were preparing an offer. I told HR that a start date would depend on how quickly we agreed to the details of the employment agreement, but would probably be either January 11 (if there was nothing to negotiate) or January 18, 2016. She told me she would have the offer to me by the next day (December 24, 2015), and sent me an email with a request to perform a background check, which I did. No offer was made on December 24, 2015.

The following week, I heard nothing at all. Finally on January 4, 2016 I emailed HR to find out what was going on, and was only then told that due to the holidays things were delayed, that they needed to review the background check, and that I would hear back the next day. On January 5, 2016 I received a call from someone else in HR who had some further questions, and after our chat I was given the impression that everything was on track again. Then I got a call on January 6, 2016 from the original HR contact person saying that they were now "still considering" my application (after telling me they were preparing an offer on December 23, 2015) and would call me with a decision by January 8, 2016. They did not call. On January 12, 2016 I emailed HR again asking what was taking so long, and was told an answer would be available by January 15, 2016. Not surprisingly, January 15 came and went without any contact from anyone at Mackenzie Investments.

FINALLY, on January 19, 2016, HR at Mackenzie finally called me. The final answer they had for me was that they had decided to "reclassify the position to a more junior role and repost it". Why they had me in for TWO interviews, numerous follow up phone calls, and complete a background check only to then string me along for weeks before ultimately pulling the rug out from underneath, I'll never know. Someone had to have known early on in the process if there was any suspicion that I was overqualified or had more experience than they required.

The entire process now feels woefully unprofessional, and I would never recommend that anyone apply to work here and possibly be subjected to the same process.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to leave your current job?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Mackenzie Investments.

Interview

- Fast HR Interview
    - job description is vague and not enough details
    - Fast 1st/2nd interview setup
    - had case study for 2nd interview
    - the HR rep is pretty responsive and is organized but slow on negotiations

Interview Questions

• Case Study of implementing new Project Management/Program Management Platform   Answer Question