Mars & Co Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 27, 2017

3.3

Summer Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mars & Co (Stamford, CT) in November 2016.

Interview

Applied via on-campus recruiting. First round was 2 back-to-back 45 minute interviews with Senior Associate Consultants. Final round was two 55 minute interviews and one 30 minute interview with senior personnel (project managers, VPs) at their Greenwich, CT site. All the interviews had a combination of case (usually market sizing or profit estimations) and behavioral questions, with a couple of brainteasers.

Interview Questions

• Tell my about X experience. What is the market size for a particular type of car? Estimate the profit of a certain company.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwich, CT

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mars & Co (Greenwich, CT) in October 2016.

Interview

First you have a phone screening with a recruiter. Basic Fit questions.
    I was called very soon to be flown to the Greenwich office for a 1st round interview.

The first round is 1.5 hours. 2 1:1 interviews.
    We first talked about my resume. Then, he gave me a market sizing question.
    He tested me on an assumption I've made, but I defended it by thinking about it in another way.

The second one also started with questions about my resume.
    Then, the interviewer gave me two brainteaser questions.
    There was a blunder with the first one because the question was a bit vague, but it was solved in 3 minutes. I couldn't get the second one. When I asked the interviewer, he didn't really give me a good explanation for the correct answer. He said it was just arbitrary.
    Finally, he gave me a pricing question of a company. It wasn't a standard question you would expect at a consulting interview, and it was finance-ish.

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work here, why consulting, your resume questions.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Mars & Co in October 2016.

Interview

The first round was a 20-30 minute phone interview. It is mostly to discuss your experience and data analysis projects. It was relatively straight forward, but be prepared to answer the question "are you interviewing with any other firms?" If you pass the first round, you travel to the office for an in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you used data to solve a business-related problem.
      Also general questions like: Tell me about _____ on your resume. Why consulting?

Senior Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwich, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at Mars & Co (Greenwich, CT) in October 2016.

Interview

Initial phone screen focused on my interest in consulting. First round interviews consisted of two 45 min interviews with junior consultants. I felt the interviewers were a bit unprofessional and untrained. The first gave me a riddle and brainteaser that are both known cliches of consulting interviews, and then spoke more about himself than listening to me. The second asked me to describe my background, and after nodding along for a minute asked me a completely irrelevant question about sports. We then did a market sizing question, but by that point I felt like walking out.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself/why are you interested in consulting.   Answer Question

Senior Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwich, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mars & Co (Greenwich, CT) in April 2016.

Interview

I met Mars & co. at the Columbia University career fair, applied online, and get an interview. The interview consists of a initial phone screen (fit) followed by 2 rounds. Mars responded very quickly (2 days after the 1st round, and offered me a position on the spot in the 2nd round). The interviewers were friendly and the cases were not too difficult (I have practiced about 75+ consulting cases so I'm a very experienced case solver).

Ultimately, I decided to turn the offer down for 5 reasons. 1) The company is a sole proprietorship which I believe is not a good ownership structure for a consulting firm. 2) Career options seem limited after working with Mars & co compared to BCG or McKinsey as they are a small firm that not many have heard of. 3) The compensation package is not that great. I was offered $110k base salary with a $10k signing bonus and no annual bonus. That's pretty low for the industry 4) PhDs (I'm a PhD) start a pay scale under MBAs. I don't think that's fair as I think PhDs have a better analytical skill set than an MBA and Mars markets them selvs as an analytic heavy consulting firm. 5) The daily 1 hour commute (on way) from manhattan to Greenwhich, CT seems kind of brutal. Greenwhich is not an attractive place to live for young people like myself.

I would be very hesitant to take a job at this firm.

Interview Questions

• The interviews are a combo of fit and case interviews. Study how to do market-sizing, answer brainteasers, and answer abstract questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Greenwich, CT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mars & Co (Greenwich, CT).

Interview

2 rounds of interviews
    Round 1: 2 x 50 min interview with Consultant/Senior Consultant (fit and case)
    Round 2: 2 x 50 min interview with VP/SVP (fit and case) and a lunch with 2 consultants
    Typical consulting interview but be prepared for quantitative questions

Interview Questions

• - How many gallons of fountain soda is consumed in the US
      - Can you estimate how many trucks are on the road
      - How do you advise a wealthy investor who would like to start a coffee chain business and expand internationally
      - Estimate the estate tax revenue for last year
      Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenwich, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mars & Co (Greenwich, CT) in May 2015.

Interview

There were three rounds. The first was a 30-minute phone interview with typical fit questions. The next one was a set of in-person interviews consisting of back to back 45-minute meetings with an Associate Consultant and then a Senior Consultant. Each of these interviews contained fit questions and one case. The final round was another set of in-person interviews: this time three back-to-back interviews with a Project Manager and then two Senior Vice-Presidents. They asked fit, brain-teaser, and case questions. Two consultants also took me to lunch before my final-round interviews.

Case questions consisted primarily (but not solely) of market sizing. One of the interviewers really challenged my process at a couple of points but every other interviewer was simply supportive throughout the whole thing. The Senior Vice-Presidents that I met with were especially warm and friendly.

Communication and coordination with HR was quick and smooth throughout the entire process.

Interview Questions

• Basic fit questions: e.g. Why Mars & Co? Why consulting? Tell me about yourself.
      Brain teasers: Probability questions
      Market sizing and case questions: (Don't want to out there material)

Summer Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Mars & Co.

Interview

Two 45 minute case interviews
    1 market sizing and mini case
    1 normal case where I had to ball park every number. Make sure you can ball park populations and sizes of common public spaces. Also, make sure you can ballpark percentages for profit on common products. They will also help you through it. Be extremely comfortable with cases and be structured.

Interview Questions

• Asked about my interests and what qualities I had that would make me a good consultant. Mostly just focused on the case. Asked questions to interviewer at the end.   Answer Question

Consultant Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mars & Co.

Interview

I applied through university recruiting, first had a phone interview with a member of HR. second round was 2 case style interviews. one with market sizing, one with a market sizing and a case. one interviewer was very friendly the other not so much.

Senior Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Greenwich, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mars & Co (Greenwich, CT).

Interview

Phone screening with the recruiter and then 3 rounds of face to face intervies

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not do any negotiation.