Michigan State University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 27, 2017

2.4

Field/Lab Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gull Lake, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Michigan State University (Gull Lake, MI).

Interview

Very easy interview. The entire meeting was roughly an hour long. 30 minutes explaining the various projects our lab works on, and 30 minutes going over your resume and explaining aspects of yourself and your past experience.

Academic Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Lansing, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Michigan State University (East Lansing, MI).

Interview

A very lengthy process from start to finish--included a phone screen and then a panel interview. It can vary by department interviewing you though. For most people it can take months before you hear anything and sometimes you are not notified at all. It is a very competitive process to say the least. Each interview has been very helpful in sharpening my interview skills. Sometimes Human Resources directly selects the applicants for the department and sometimes the department chooses who they will interview. Either way it is a very lengthy process.

Game Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in East Lansing, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Michigan State University (East Lansing, MI) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview process was informal. It did not require any preperation other than for me to submit my resume and show my previous work experience with unity. This was for an on campus internship as a game software engineer.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have with unity?   1 Answer

Animal Caretaker I Interview

Anonymous Employee in East Lansing, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Michigan State University (East Lansing, MI).

Interview

Applied online (they don't post publicly very often). Heard through email not too long after for in person interview. Interviewed with the Operations Supervisor and another Supervisor. I believe it was a few days later I was asked to come back to meet with a different Supervisor and another "higher up". I was driven to see one of the facilities and sent on my way. I got a phone call the next day (after leaving an interview for completely different job) and the job offer. Then I got an email of when to be expected. I think the entire process up to my first official day was 3-4 weeks.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to deal with conflict and how you handled it   Answer Question
    • How would you say you handle stress?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Lansing, MI

Application

Interview

Just know that if someone's kid, spouse, or sibling needs a job, you lose. It doesn't matter that their degree is in biology and they have no experience and this is an HR job. The daughter-in-law will get it because she can't find another job nearby. Be smarmy and do not demand too much of any subordinate that has a relative in HR, because they can and will keep you off interview lists. This place is going to get whiter and whiter and I would suggest, lazier and lazier.

Interview Questions

• Are you a web master? (note the job posting did not mention this as a recommended or requirement).   1 Answer
    • Should have asked me... "Can you sit patiently for 45 minutes while I talk about 'my vision.'   1 Answer

Buyer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Michigan State University in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online. I was contacted for an interview three months later by HR. I sat down with a five person panel for a little over an hour and was asked routine questions to get a feel for how I problem solve. The panel ranged from a person with the same title I was interviewing for up to senior management. I was then given an offer two weeks later.

Interview Questions

• Whats the difference between purchasing within a private company vs a government facility?   Answer Question

Extension Educator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Michigan State University (Lansing, MI).

Interview

It was a panel interview about seven people. They each asked questions I answered. My advice study something about the organization. Ask how many will interview you. Prior to that I had a phone interview that took a few minutes with one person.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a time when you handled a conflict between coworkers   Answer Question

Negotiation

Easy they offered I counteroffer they accepted and I took the position

Information Technologist I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Michigan State University in July 2016.

Interview

I applied, and heard from someone via email about 3 weeks later, was scheduled for an interview the next week. When I arrived, they had someone waiting for me in the parking lot with a parking pass. She then asked to ride in my car, in order to show me where to park (which was unprofessional). It was a 4 person panel interview, and they promised a follow up either way by the following week. Never got anything. Felt that this was very unprofessional, and the communication is lackluster, at best.

Interview Questions

• Are you more of an individual worker, or collaborater? Why?   Answer Question

Media and Digitization Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in East Lansing, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Michigan State University (East Lansing, MI).

Interview

I was asked a few basic questions before being considered for the position. I was called in to meet with the hiring supervisor. Upon entering the supervisor took me to the back to discuss what the digital media center is and what they do at the library. He explained what I would be doing if I were hired and he went on to ask a few questions about me.

Interview Questions

• How did you hear about the Digital Media center?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Michigan State University.

Interview

I met with the person that I would be working for, and spoke with him for about a half hour about my schedule and abilities to troubleshoot technology issues. It wasn't really an interview so much as an introduction, due to a friend's referral. Pretty easy job.

Interview Questions

• Are you good with computers?   1 Answer