Mitchells & Butlers Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Mitchells & Butlers Interview Questions

Updated Jul 11, 2017

1.9

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Mitchells & Butlers.

Interview

Trial shift given, though policy has changed now to a stringent interview. Still will hire almost literally anybody. As a result the morale is dreadful and the gap between head office and front line staff is huge. Offers industry training and sponsorship though, so if you want to get a retail management foundation degree, go here and show a little potential, and be reimbursed or even sponsored to study for it and gain promotion and oh-so-slight pay rise once passed.

Interview Questions

• Can you work public holidays   1 Answer

Waitress Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Billingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mitchells & Butlers (Billingham, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was rang for an interview within a week, I interviewed at the Toby Carvery with two managers and was quite relaxed and informal, the interview lasted for about 15 minutes and said they will ring me within a week to let me know if I have the job.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest achievement ?   1 Answer
    • Name a time when you have worked in a team and if it presented difficulties and how you overcame this.   1 Answer
    • What is your availability should you get the job   Answer Question

Bar Staff Interview

Anonymous Employee in Nottingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Mitchells & Butlers (Nottingham, England (UK)) in March 2017.

Interview

I applied online through the Mitchells & Butlers career page and completed the about me section and application form. Then got a call about an interview, the interview was one to one with the general manager. Going through questions and why I applied for the position.

Bar Staff Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Mitchells & Butlers in February 2017.

Interview

Applied on the 5th, got an email at 6am on the 13th about an interview the same day at 8pm, the email said it was a group interview and I had to dress smart, prepare to get involved in group discussions and team building exercises. I turned up with 11 others, we was all made to feel comfortable and like nothing we said was the wrong answer, we all was offered free food and drink which included pizza and chips. After everyone introduced themselves, the manager did a presentation on what the company is about, what the company expects from customers and team members, we then did a few activities, this lasted around an hour and half. I had a one-to-one interview with the assistant manager, she was really friendly and spoke to me as a friend rather than "just another job seeker" this made me feel great and took away my nerves completely, the questions were about how flexible I am and how well I work within a team including any experience I have, I was also asked how many hours I am looking for and if an opportunity arose to work in the kitchen to gain more experience; would I take it? Within 24 hours I got a phonecall from the manager saying they want to see more of me and would like me to come in for an induction!

Interview Questions

• What did you enjoy most when working in a team?   1 Answer

Bar Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Preston, North West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Mitchells & Butlers (Preston, North West England, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online and was given interview within the week. Met team leader at pub and had informal interview at the back. Minimal distractions because of quiet time, but can imagine it could be difficult to concentrate with loud patrons later on at night. She asked questions about my suitability, my flexibility and interest in working for a pub. She then gave me fairly comprehensive instructions about day-to-day workings of the pub, implying that she was ready to employ me. Had to sign a few things and was then let go.

Received phone call about 5 days after the interview to find out when I was free for induction day.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were faced with a challenge and overcame it. How did you feel?   Answer Question

Waitress/Bar Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kegworth, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mitchells & Butlers (Kegworth, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

Very simple application form with questions designed for those who may not have been employed before (I imagine), such as "what is your favourite food dish and why?" or something along those lines (maximum 140 character answers). There was also the option to add in a 1 minute video about why you believe you are suited to the job role.

I was then invited for a 10 minute informal chat about why I would be good for the role.

Interview Questions

• Do you eat out often? What's a good experience of excellent customer service?   Answer Question

Front of House Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burton upon Trent, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mitchells & Butlers (Burton upon Trent, England (UK)) in August 2016.

Interview

Was sat at the side of the Restaurant.
    They asked me my age, am I flexible I. Working different hours to cover overtime, Christmas Day etc.
    They would then have a folder 3 pages of A4 paper what she went through asking questions and after my answers she would reply how that fits in with the job.
    After the questions they described to me what the uniform would be,
    How tips were shared etc.

Interview Questions

• What is your favourite food to cook?   1 Answer
    • Name a time you helped a team member out to achieve a goal.   Answer Question
    • Name a time that you had to go out of your way for a customer.   Answer Question
    • (Continuing) How did you feel afterwards?   Answer Question
    • (continuing) if you had to do it again, what would you do differently?   Answer Question

Job position offered elsewhere.

Waitress/Bar Staff Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Mitchells & Butlers in July 2016.

Interview

Teamwork including a round Of questions and then some team building exercises to see how we worked together. All in all quite a fun experience however interview practices may have changed

Interview Questions

• Group interview which was very fun and more about team building   Answer Question

Waitress Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bolton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mitchells & Butlers (Bolton, England (UK)) in June 2016.

Interview

Average interview, asked questions about my previous roles and why I want to work for Toby Carvery etc. Explained the role further, and asked about my hobbies and a bit about my personal life. It seemed to have a gone rather well, but I never actually heard back from them.

Staff Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Mitchells & Butlers (London, England (UK)) in May 2016.

Interview

Just simple conversation with a managers who I further worked with. Basically I been to the place, asked for a job, the same day they call me and asked about my interested, they offer me a trial for the next day

Interview Questions

• Experience and distance to the work.   1 Answer