Morton Salt Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 11, 2017

2.5

Communications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Morton Salt (Chicago, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

A few weeks after applying, I had a fairly standard phone interview with the recruiter. I was then invited to the HQ for 4 back-to-back interviews, which were more conversational and focussed on my experience and the team's needs. I was impressed by everyone's openness, expertise, and excitement over the work they do and the direction the company is headed in. I left with a good understanding of the role and the various challenges and opportunities.
    The recruiter was great and contacted me the same day with feedback. I received a competitive offer within the week but had to decline, as a more senior role opened up elsewhere.

Intern Interview

Interview

Interview process was easy and I accepted the job but follow up was a little slow. Took a while to get proper arrangements for medical lab to complete the process before starting

Supply Chain Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Morton Salt.

Interview

Worked with a recruiter great experience, very organized and respectful of my time. Everyone was fully engaged in the process. Company is going through a transformation and making great strides in hiring and retaining talent

Human Resources Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Morton Salt (Chicago, IL) in October 2015.

Interview

- several phone interviews with standard questions, some behavioral, followed by in-person interviews with HR and several client groups
    - Morton needs to be mindful of its employment brand. The follow-up was ABOMINABLY poor. Sometimes how you treat the finalist candidates tells more about a company than how you do the one to whom you offer the role. I received ZERO follow-up after the interview and had to email the recruiter 10 days after the interview because I had heard nothing. I received ZERO response to that email, which is UNHEARD of. Even if you're not choosing that candidate, respect their interest and TREAT PEOPLE RIGHT. I can tell you from interviewing with several reputable companies, I was given prompt and thoughtful follow-up from all companies BUT Morton. This is NOT the employment brand you want to create. A network is how you build your culture, brand, and ee value proposition after all. I left feeling that they are impersonal and do not care about people, which is not what you want for your HR department for sure!! In the end, I had to email yet AGAIN to get a final response vs. them doing so out of courtesy. And the whole process took well over a month and a half, which may speak of their overall business decision-making. Salt is much more interesting than I would have imagined and I interviewed with some passionate clients but HR needs to get back to basics!!

Interview Questions

• What would make you stand out from other applicants for this role? What could you uniquely provide to my business?   Answer Question

Tax Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Morton Salt (Chicago, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

Multiple interviews with every member of the department on two days. Kept in contact for six months until I finally got hired. It was long period of time from when I interviewed to when I received my offer letter.

Interview Questions

• Why tax? What qualities do you have that would benefit our department? How would your previous job experience help you succeed here?   Answer Question

Applications & Administration Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Morton Salt (Chicago, IL) in July 2015.

Interview

the managers were really friendly made you feel really comfortable. they asked a lot of IT questions was up to par with technology. they wanted to know how I heard about the position as well as if I was willing to travel. spoke about the company on how long they had the business for. after that I had met with 3 other Managers about position and went with some similar questions. process took almost a month with an offer but I was pleased at the end result.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with an irate end user   1 Answer

Negotiation

that was short and sweet! I liked what they had to offer and agreed with it

Business Process Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Morton Salt (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online and there was no response for about 2 months and one day I got call from the company recruiter for an interview. Had my first interview with hiring manager, then a week later, a more deep technical interview with a consultant and finally a week later they called me on site. had interviews again with hiring manager, consultant and then with IT director, Supply chain director and a phone interview with VP of Supply Chain.
    The process was very professional and took 3 weeks until I was made an offer. Never in the process was an instance that made me feel humiliated or inconvenient.

Interview Questions

• Mostly technical questions
      How can I add value to the organization
      Give examples of gaps and opportunities I see in the supply chain, processes
      What is my management philosophy?   Answer Question

Mill Laborer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Morton Salt.

Interview

First Interview out of 10 finalist, 2nd Interview out of 5 finalist, 3rd interview between 2 finalist. As interviews narrowed candidates it got longer and more panelist were involved i.e. Safety Coordinators and Engineers, Foreman, etc. Also more and more personality quizzes and iq tests. In between all in person interviews there was also at least 1 phone interview.

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fairport Harbor, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Morton Salt (Fairport Harbor, OH).

Interview

Morton Salt interviewed at my college and also put on an interview prep class which I attended. I originally was not scheduled for an interview, but was desperate for a job and went to the prep class. I came early and spoke to the instructor who was also the HR Manager for the corporation. It turned out he was an old coal miner and I had just finished my co-op at a mine in West Virginia. We hit it off and he offered me an interview on the spot. I had no idea salt even came from underground mines. Previous experience, a degree, and willingness to learn are very important to engineering positions at Morton Salt.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

New hires out of school, at that time, had no chance of negotiation. I believe this still holds true. Morton is pretty set in their ways.

Chemical Processor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Danvers, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Morton Salt (Danvers, MA) in October 2013.

Interview

The Day Supervisor has a Laid back attitude. No tricks. Straight froward questions as in "Tell Me about yourself". Then it was on to the design engineer who was very serious by nature.