Moz Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated May 21, 2017

2.6

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Moz (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

After talking to a recruiter, I was invited for a technical phone interview. The phone interview took about 30min. He first asked some questions regarding my resume, then he asked me some basic questions like what is the difference between process and thread. Finally, he tested me with a system design question. I prepared very well for this and answered all questions, and he seems to be positive about my answers, but the next week, I received an email from the recruiter saying that they decided not to move forward...

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Moz (Seattle, WA) in March 2017.

Interview

Good well coordinate process. The recruiter did a good job of communicating expectations and the process. Well done all around. Nice process and well communicated. The interviewer called at the scheduled time and we friendly and informative.

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Moz (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Very long process. After a phone conversation with the recruiter, I had two phone screens, the first on data science and the second on programming in Python. Both were relatively easy. Frustratingly, I had a deadline that I let them know at the beginning (over a month out at that point) and they weren't able to get me in for the in-person before then. I had to email them to check-in after every screen before I heard anything back. Seemed like interesting work, but I had to move on.

Interview Questions

Moz Response

Dec 29, 2015 – Recruiter

We appreciate you giving us feedback. We absolutely know in this market, we need to move quickly and I I am sorry you didn't have that experience with us. Hopefully, our paths will cross in the ... More

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Moz (Seattle, WA) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Received a request to schedule 30 minute phone interview. 2 weeks later got a request to schedule in-person interview for half day.
    Met department head via google talk which went fine. Then had three two people interviews at 45 minute each (included other PM's, Dev and Dev managers). All three pairs ran out of questions first 15 minutes. I ended up asking the next 30 minutes everything about the product and company. The interviewers were straight forward, telling me "as you can see this is our first time interviewing a pm". Last I met the hiring manager who did not have a single question to ask. By that time I ran out of any possible questions that I could ask the hiring manager so the meeting was only 15 minute short. Got an email with denial 1 week later.

They have nice benefits and a cool office. Too bad they didnt ask any real Scrum/PM questions. I really doubt they could make a correct decision without asking proper questions.

Interview Questions

• No real PM questions or situational. Only asked if I worked with team that had a bad apple. Few general agile questions. The rest were tell me about your self.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Moz (Seattle, WA) in April 2015.

Interview

I received an email from a recruiter first. I was then scheduled for a phone screen. Afterwards, I was scheduled for a full day of on-site interviews. I was then offered a position a couple days after the interviews took place. Everyone was nice and the process went smoothly.

Interview Questions

• Implement `async.parallel` — pretty basic control flow question.   Answer Question

Lead Billing Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Moz (Seattle, WA) in March 2015.

Interview

Overall the interview process was good. I liked that they spent a lot of time and effort which shows they care about making a good hiring decision. They allowed for more than enough time for them and me to get a good feel about it. It may have been a bit excessive though.

The entire process was 5 weeks from initial contact. I went through 2 phone screens and 2 in-person interviews. The first phone screen was with the recruiter and was pretty typical. The second phone screen was with a developer who gave me a coding problem which we did over collabedit.com.

The first in-person interview was pretty much all day at their office, from 9am to 3pm. It was 6 1-hour sessions with different interviewers. Three of these were technical interviews and they were all pretty much the same. We could have saved a lot of time if instead they brought in all the developers they wanted me to interview with at the same time or something. Maybe the goal was to make it feel less intimidating by just having one or two developers at a time. But it seemed pretty redundant, especially when you're explaining your past work history over and over (every interviewer didn't ask, but over the whole process I probably went over it 4-5 times). At lunch time, a couple people took me out, which was nice. It's still an interview, but it felt like I could relax a little more.

The second in-person interview was from 11am - 2pm and I interviewed with 3 people that day. The first one I went into a conference room and talked with a developer over Google video chat. It felt pretty awkward, I'm not sure if it was because of the video chat or because we just didn't connect well. Afterwards, I went out with the hiring manager for lunch and we talked about the position and my past experience. The last part was another technical interview with the director (or something, there seemed to be a lot of confusion about what peoples roles were). He asked me similar technical questions to the ones I'd been asked before.

Pros:
    - Spent a lot of time getting to know me and letting me get to know the company.
    - They do a lot to try to make you feel comfortable in the interview process. They started off with a tour of the place, and lighter conversation. The lunches help make things feel a bit more casual even though it's still an interview. Also, if I had accepted every time someone asked if I wanted something to drink, I would have drowned :)
    - Treat you like a person and peer rather than an "are you worthy" type attitude I've seen occasionally at other places.
    - Always gave me time to ask questions and some interviewers made a point that they wanted to make sure I felt it was a good fit as well.

Cons:
    - The job description in the ad did not match the role. I didn't really find out until I kept prying to understand the role better. Several people seemed to have different understandings of what the position was supposed to be.
    - Redundant technical interviews with questions that are irrelevant to the role. (I wrote more recursive functions in these interviews than I have in the past 3 years). I was asked a couple basic SQL questions, but for this specific role, I would highly recommend they dig deeper next time.
    - I got a strong impression they didn't really know what they wanted or needed. Having worked directly in the area that they're wanting to build, I don't think they really know what they're doing. And unfortunately, I don't think I sold myself well enough on how I can help them accomplish their goals.
    - Not really related to the interview, but it sounded like different teams blame each other a lot for problems, which is unfortunate.

Interview Questions

• Find the midpoint in an array of integers where the two pieces have the least/greatest difference.   Answer Question
    • Given a grid of points (with an arbitrary number of columns and rows) and starting at the upper left corner and only traveling left or down, how many paths are there to get to the bottom right corner.   Answer Question
    • Given a matrix of randomly dispersed points, write a function to return the x,y coordinates of clusters of those points.   Answer Question
    • Given a web of friends connecting to other friends (it was essentially a b-tree), write a function to return the closest n friends.   Answer Question

Apr 30, 2015 – Recruiter

Hi! Thanks so much for taking the time to give us feedback. We know its not perfect system and we are constantly finding ways to change and improve the process. Hearing this feedback is helpful for ... More

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Moz (Seattle, WA) in January 2015.

Interview

Started out with a few 1:1 phone calls with management and senior management. After that I was invited out to the office to give a presentation of my work and participate in a full day of interviews. I talked with people on the UX team as well as the product team that was in need of a designer. Had a followup 1:1 via phone with management a week later and was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to give a presentation of my previous work to a large group of Moz employees and field questions afterwards.   Answer Question

Senior Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Moz in October 2014.

Interview

I filled out an online application for a Senior Developer position at Moz. I was contacted a week later for an interview with their Technical Recruiter. I gave a pretty wide range of availability but said that if possible I'd prefer later in the day, but anytime was doable.

The recruiter called me about 15 minutes late. She stated that she was leaving the next day for a 3 week vacation. The interview went alight, none of the questions were overly difficult, however I felt that I was leading the discussion, not the recruiter. She seemed distracted, probably by the fact that I would be the last person she was talking to prior to being off for the next 3 weeks. At the end she told me if I had any questions I could contact another recruiter while she was out.

I waited about a week and contacted the other person, she got back to me right away and said that she wasn't sure about anything, but that she would find out and get back to me the next day. I received no response, so after about 2 more weeks I emailed again and still haven't heard anything back after 2 weeks.

I find it unprofessional to just ignore a candidate's emails. If the recruiter did not feel I was a good fit for Moz then it shouldn't be that difficult to write a 2 sentence email stating that.

Interview Questions

• Describe a project you worked on in a non-technical way.   Answer Question

Dec 29, 2014 – Recruiter

Hi! I am sorry you didn't have a better experience interviewing with us. Not getting a response from us is not how we like to handle interviewing at Moz. We hope to do better and we are continuing to ... More

Community Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Moz (Seattle, WA) in July 2014.

Interview

Phone interview followed by 2 hours of interviews with all team members. Very personable and really showed off their fun culture. Loved meeting everyone, really seemed like it was based on culture fit.

IT Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Moz (Seattle, WA) in July 2013.

Interview

Phone screen and an in person interview. In person interview was rather long, as I had a panel of people to meet back to back. People I interviewed with varied in job title and experience. I thought it was interesting that the most tenured person was there for 2 years.

Interview Questions

• How would you visualize number of subscribers added monthly?   Answer Question