Moz Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sarah Bird

1. "Software Development Engineer Intern"

Former Employee - Intern
    Former Employee - Intern

I worked at Moz (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of snacks, great friendly people, nice office space.

Cons

Can't really think of any.

"Not TAGFEE"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Moz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the people there were amazing.

Cons

Other people were so terrible, I slipped into a depression while working there.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employee's concerns.

Dec 13, 2016 – Founder

Hi friend... Rand from Moz (founder) replying. Just wanted to say that: A) Totally empathize with you. I also experienced depression in my personal/professional life at Moz, and it was awful and ... More

"Good culture, but an uncertain future"

I worked at Moz full-time

Pros

The legend about the good culture is true, even though it is now experiencing an existential crisis after massive layoffs in August. The company really does want you to have a happy life in the office and outside of work. So many people are spurred to take interesting vacations because you have to take vacation to get the $3,000 yearly bonus that can only be spent on vacation activities! HR knows that the layoff has had an impact on morale, and they are trying their best to help the company through the shell shock of such a massive wound. I'm really rooting for them to succeed.

Cons

- After the layoff, the company scaled back its ambitions and took a more defensive posture that emphasizes maintenance and incremental improvement of the existing flagship product.
    - After the layoff, the office feels deflated and quiet, way too large for the reduced workforce.
    - After the layoff, many of the office perks have been cut.
    - 401k match is not immediate (it has to vest starting after one year)
    - No annual bonus structure

Advice to Management

You made a massive mistake with the company strategy. 1/3 of the company suffered the consequences of the mistake by losing their job, and the rest have had to face a sadder, less motivating work environment every day since. How can the workforce have confidence in your latest strategy? New leadership with new ideas and vision could revive the energy and inspiration in the building.

Dec 12, 2016 – VP of HR

Hi -- I appreciate your thoughtful review. We are very proud of the culture we have fostered at Moz and we are working hard to build on the parts that have made Moz a special place. We have come a ... More

5. "Exceptional place to work"

I worked at Moz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Moz has an exceptional company culture. It a great place for growth and development.

Cons

As with any company, when the leadership team makes poor business decisions, all the employees suffer the consequences.

Dec 9, 2016 – Recruiter

Thanks for your feedback and all your efforts in helping make Moz a great company!

"Tough place to grow"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Moz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Inclusive, considerate culture
    - High base compensation in lieu of merit-based bonuses
    - Good place for employees to do the standard 9-5 and nothing more

Cons

- No business growth means no business need to grow employees. Many high performing employees fresh into their careers are leaving or in the process of leaving knowing there is no upward mobility.
    - In "maintenance mode", optimizing the costs to stabilize and run their core business. No investment in innovation with a culture that doesn't facilitate going the extra mile means you're not working on anything exciting.

Advice to Management

Many of you directly contributed to Moz's recent 30% workforce cut and the subsequent 10-15% attrition you've seen post layoff. You probably shouldn't be there any more. If that's you, you probably know it deep down and you should excuse yourself.

Dec 9, 2016

Thank you for the feedback, and for the three years of service. Your comment about innovation being stymied in part due to the employee culture is insightful. We are working to improve the ability ... More

"Avoid if you can"

Pros

- Good benefits
    - Competitive salary
    - Good office space

Cons

- Clicky social circles
    - Expect people to throw you under the bus, or stab you in the back
    - Much of the work being done gets thrown away
    - You might find yourself wondering what management and c-level employees do on a daily basis
    - Don't expect managerial support
    - TAGFEE is only used when convenient

Advice to Management

Moz started out by its founders with all the right intentions. Unfortunately it became a place of everyone being in it for themselves. Please promote team work, with good focus on what employees should accomplish. Otherwise, employees will quickly get jaded.

Dec 10, 2016 – Founder

(Hi, Rand from Moz replying here) I hear you. Growing a company is hard. Being at a growing company is hard, too. And in the last couple years, I agree with some of your critiques. Folks seek out ... More

"Amazing culture and people; business outlook is tenuous"

Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I worked at Moz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The TAGFEE culture is real and wonderful.
    Very supportive of individual growth and strong work/life balance.
    Bright, committed, and passionate people.
    True commitment to giving back to the community.

Cons

The products were once best-in-class but have fallen behind the competition.
    Leadership erratically shifts from one strategy to the next trying to get to profitability, but never successfully. It's a 12-year old VC-backed startup that has never been profitable...its days are likely numbered.

"Had a great experience"

Pros

They live and breath their core tenets: TAGFEE. While they have gone through some challenges, I believe they always have the best interest of their employees and customers. It's easy to get a meeting with higher-ups, and they're always open to listen to new ideas (although, they don't always agree or take action based on it). There used to be great growth opportunity, but I believe that's flattened a bit.

Cons

They recently closed shop on 2 products, and laid off 30% of their staff. This was in an effort to become profitable, by focusing on SEO. Hopefully this makes them a little more stable...

Advice to Management

If/when you become in a position to experiment with new product verticals-- focus on one or two problems first. I believe we've bitten off more than we can chew in the past.

"Uncertain future but excellent past"

Pros

- Close knit community
    - Friendly and helpful people
    - Supportive colleagues
    - Remote friendly
    - Interesting work
    - Very supportive of diversity in tech

Working here was a really excellent experience both for my technical growth as an engineer as well as a model of a fun, happy, relaxed, and kind culture in tech (RARE!).

Cons

It's hard to feel very good about a company when they suddenly lay off 28% of their employees, and the mood will definitely take a hit.

Dec 9, 2016 – Recruiter

Appreciate the feedback. Having to downsize was hard to go through, but I am so glad you had a good experience while working here. We are hopeful that Moz can continue to have all of those positive ... More

"Great culture but too ambitious"

Pros

Every company likes to talk about their culture and values but most of the time it's little more than a poster in a conference room or a slide in a PowerPoint. Moz actually did live and breathe their values. The people were fantastic to work with and the company created a fantastic working environment.

Cons

The company launched multiple new products in a fairly short period of time. The problem is they failed to put any real marketing muscle behind those products. If Moz has an Achilles heal it's a belief that marketing doesn't matter - if you build a good product it will grow organically through word of mouth. To be fair, this approach worked well for many years, especially with the smaller agencies and SMBs who make up the bulk of Moz's customer base. The problem is this approach does not work with larger, enterprise clients who are needed if you really want to grow your revenue. Moz is trying to compete against companies who have large outbound marketing and sales organizations while having just a handful of sales people (focused almost entirely on inbound sales) and a marketing effort largely focused on their existing community.

Advice to Management

1) Put more effort into attracting new customers.
    2) Don't launch new products without a strong marketing plan.

Dec 9, 2016 – Recruiter

Hi There! TAGFEE for the win! I am sure you are moving on to another great opportunity, take that TAGFEE with you and spread it. Moz has learned a lot these last few years and we really appreciate ... More