Moz Reviews

Updated Jul 6, 2020

3.2
Moz CEO Sarah Bird (no image)
Sarah Bird
Pros
  • "There's a really good work/life balance(in 15 reviews)

• "The company values (TAGFEE) are a solid set of ideals to strive towards(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "TAGFEE got perverted to mean don't offend anyone ever(in 5 reviews)

• "According to the quarterly all hands - about 20% of the employees leave the company within the first year of joining(in 3 reviews)

"Super focused on growth and results!"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Moz full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love the fast pace and how much we're focused on results -- we get a lot done, really quickly! We meet weekly in front of a "Scrum of Scrums" board for a stand-up style review of every major project the company is working on across all teams, and they're identified by their alignment with our strategic growth priorities and have measurable goals. It's a great way to see how fast we're moving as a company, and how the projects we're working on are having an impact. I like being able to see the work of not just my team but also other teams across the company. There has been a ton of focus on the major core product this year, and the results are really exciting -- new features launching nearly every month, and more customers coming every week. I love being on this team!

Cons

Some teams say they need more people to get everything done that they need to do on time. My team works really hard, and yes, sometimes we put in extra long hours to get something out the door, but it's worth it. Most of the time the hours are pretty normal. I haven't worked at any tech company where the teams don't want more people, so maybe my perspective is different. People seem to have great work-life balance, and we are accomplishing a lot this year, so maybe it's not as bad as some people think.

November 5, 2019Chief People Officer

We love your positivity! We have worked hard this year to prioritize and focus on the most important things in our business. We are committed to adding people as the business grows, and we will be thoughtful and responsible as we add resources to teams.

"Too many inefficiencies"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Moz full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company cares about the happiness of its employees especially during these hard times. They make an effort there so that's really nice. Before COVID the remote working policy was very flexible which helps if you have a family or pets. When you get a project or task, you can work on it to the level of quality you want. That can be both good and bad depending on who you are.

Cons

It doesn't seem to bother the leadership team about inefficiencies. Too many people have admitted to working at Moz because they know they can float. Some managers don't know what they are doing and spend more time and energy avoiding work and spending company money than actually doing their job well. It's like a big game to them which makes it much harder for their reports who have to pick up the slack without any direction. I don't feel comfortable bringing this up to HR because these managers must be friends with HR or the leadership team, otherwise why would they still be here if what they are doing is so obvious and unethical. I will just hope they read this.

"Senior Software Engineer"

4.0
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Moz full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A great place to: - grow in your skills. There are multiple tech stacks used across the company so there is an opportunity to always be learning something new. - have a family. The parental leave policy is incredibly generous. - level up in your "soft skills." Having thoughtful, respectful debate is a skill that is built. Moz recognizes this and provides for employees to develop this skill. - have flexible working arrangements. Moz has worked at developing and supporting their ability for workers to work remotely. A secondary benefit of this is that teams also get good at documenting decisions and architectures so that the amount of "tribal knowledge" is usually decreasing.

Cons

- promotion path was murky. It took months of asking my manager "what do I need to do in order to get promoted?" in order to get an actionable answer. - product vision was lacking. I spent a significant amount of time during my last year working on features that never made it in front of customers or working on bugs. It was difficult to find things to work on that would help grow our customer base. This did start to change during the end of my time there.

"Can do much better"

Current Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Moz full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Our office space is great. Very modern. Lots of room. It will be fun to see where we land when our lease is up. Maybe we stay or maybe we find a better place. It will be great as long as they continue to have lots of snacks and food. It's a great company for diversity and inclusion. We have been through lots, and there are many managers with good intentions here.

Cons

But not all managers here have good intentions for the company, some are more about good intentions for themselves. And sadly, it doesn't seem to matter if you're competent at your job or not, Moz seems to prioritize that you're loud about diversity, and loud in meetings, over the quality of your contribution to the business. Moz is great for diversity, better than many companies out there, and that truly is amazing. But when the e-team is scared to get rid of destructive, incompetent employees because it could hurt their image, you have a serious, serious problem for the future success of the company.

"Stuck in a rut"

I worked at Moz full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There were a lot of good and talented people there, and the acquisition got the company a lot more. HR tried very hard to make things work. There are great benefits too.

Cons

Moz had a long time to figure out what they were doing and why. But they haven’t figured it out and still probably won’t. Toxic managers in charge of pushing their department have no vision and don’t even know what they are doing, let alone how to align their department to the company goals. They are more focused on keeping their job and climbing the ladder than actually doing good work. Worst of all, if you bring this up, it seems to be ignored. Or if you leave the company, your feedback is not valid because they just think you are disgruntled.

Continue reading

"Always new and interesting problems to solve!"

Current Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Moz full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Moz has been an incredible place for me to learn a ton about the SaaS and SEO industry over the past 4 years, meet incredible people, and expand my professional network through conferences and professional development opportunities provided. You'll be happy at Moz if you enjoy the challenge of working without having all the answers or all the resources at your fingertips and without being told exactly what to do and how to do it. At Moz, you have the freedom to propose ideas and then execute them - you might not have all the resources you dream of - so you have to also like being creative and thinking scrappy. I have been able to see my ideas come to life and watch and learn how they perform. I've had the opportunity to lead and learn from all types of product launches and marketing campaigns as well as develop and practice new strategic skillsets like pricing and packaging. There aren't many places to get all those experiences as a marketer. The executive team is available to anyone, at any time, and truly listens. (There's a LOT to listen to so I'm sure it's tough to balance all that they take in, but I think it's a very cool, a rare thing to find in other companies.) Most people here want to solve problems together and look for collaborative ways to do so – from creative design projects to billing solutions to in-product user experience. I've had the gamut of opportunities to learn the ins and outs of a SaaS business that serves both small and enterprise customers (which is also very rare). My favorite (and unique) benefits: I love that dogs are allowed IN meeting rooms and not stuck at their owner's desk. I hear that's how it is in other offices and that makes me sad. (assuming you like dogs) Having them included throughout the day brings levity and humor to what could be contentious or mind-numbing business conversations. Professional Coaching (12 sessions/year!) is offered to ALL employees no matter their level. I have grown so much in my ability to lead during times of ambiguity, deal with difficult personalities, grow my own confidence, and more; just from this one amazing benefit. If you like solving big problems and love collaborating with other smart and creative people to do so, now is the time to join Moz. We're working on some major strategic moves in an industry that just keeps getting more competitive as the demand for SEO solutions increases every year and we're doing it with financial rigor and focus. Moz maintains the strongest brand in the SEO industry; one where people get tattoos of our Mascot! Now it's time for Moz to defend our coveted brand position in the market. If you have the business savvy and want to help solve these types of problems and work hard and scrappy with a team who's ready to do the same - Moz is the place for you.

Cons

In the past, there wasn't a big focus on making data-backed decisions. And I believe that has hurt the company's reputation from past employees who were frustrated by that lack of responsibility. I have been part of both pushing for and have now seen the company make major strides over the past 2 years to turn that around. Monthly Business Reviews keep us all on our feet to report on our business metrics and take ownership of our actions. Our BI team has also pulled off some huge milestones in connecting data points across the company and tracking success metrics. There's also been a major and much-needed shift in standards on reporting marketing initiatives. I've never seen the marketing team working so well together and with the rest of the company since Moz hired the new CMO in 2019. Sometimes it feels like there is just too much to get done - but I see that as job security; and motivator to learn how to prioritize and make strategic trade-offs. And talk about never being bored or looking at the clock! There's ALWAYS more to do.

November 5, 2019Chief People Officer

We are so glad that you have been with us for the past 4 years! Thanks for the shout out around data-backed decisions. We have seen a steady improvement in our ability to produce the right data quickly to drive to the right outcomes and decisions. Our brand is strong and we'll continue to push hard for greater differentiation in the marketplace. Thanks for all you are doing to help us grow and succeed!

"Where B & C-players find a home & A-players quickly move on"

Former Employee - Director of Product Management in Seattle, WA

I worked at Moz full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The company has significant revenue, has potential to be very profitable - Generous benefits - Lean in heavily on work-life balance - Parental leave policy is really awesome - 150% match for charitable donations

Cons

- First time CEO has very little software company experience - and it shows - Leadership has super short attention span on strategy - Eteam is easily flustered by new information, and is often unable to keep focus on said strategy - Continual lack of operational alignment across departments that is allowed to thrive and never addressed/resolved - Well regarded successful execs join with excitement and optimism, then leave in short order due to unrelenting challenges - "Invisible inertia" in the company ranks creates incredible friction to anyone pushing for growth

November 4, 2019VP of HR

We appreciate you sharing this feedback, even though it is hard to hear and I wish your experience at Moz was different. We appreciate you mentioning the things that are obvious strengths. We have a culture that we continue to evolve and focus on, and incredible benefits and employee programs that recognize and support the whole person coming to work each day. We have sizable revenue and have been profitable for the past several years. We%E2%80%99re proud of how far we have come, but not satisfied. We have a lot more to do!You mentioned a couple of areas that we are working on at Moz. We are pushing for greater accountability, collaboration and focus. We have a newly formed executive team, with several new team members, including a new Vice President of Product with significant industry experience. We feel more optimistic than ever that this team will successfully drive the company forward, to produce greater results. Thanks again for sharing your feedback.

"Working at Moz feels like career purgatory"

2.0

I worked at Moz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Decent pay, nice benefits, pleasant coworkers.

Cons

As a VC-funded company, Moz basically needs to either IPO or be acquired. Unfortunately, the company has been stagnant for years, and neither outcome is likely at this point. Instead, they just keep stumbling along, trying to find some magic switch they can flip that will suddenly turn on the growth that has been lacking for so long. Management seems to be getting more desperate, and as part of their strategy to either cut costs or pivot the company, throughout 2018 there was basically a stealth layoff. A few people quietly trickled out every week or two for months on end. There's nowhere to really advance your career within the company once you're there. Expect to just stagnate in the same role until you either get the ax or you find a better opportunity elsewhere.

Continue reading

"Great as a workplace, concerning as a business"

I worked at Moz full-time for more than a year

Pros

Moz takes great care of its people, with fair salaries and fantastic perks. The office environment is great, and the culture that's been built is extremely strong. Most of my coworkers were great people that I'd happily be friends with outside of work. This could be seen as a pro or a con, depending on what you're looking for out of work, but there's basically no consequences for failure or mistakes, and Moz (accurately) has a reputation as a place you come to "coast".

Cons

For a company that's been around for 15 years, it still feels really startup-y at times, in concerning ways. For example, they still know next to nothing about who is using their product or in what ways, yet they're making business decisions about tackling certain market segments without even understanding said segments at an actionable level. The company is customer-friendly to a point that is actually detrimental - decisions to do things like adjust pricing or sunset rarely-used products are met with extreme internal resistance for fear of upsetting a handful of customers. Engineering teams are matrixed/interdependent in a way that I've never seen at any other software organization, which makes accomplishing even the smallest task necessitate tons of meetings, prioritization decisions, and horse-trading. Too many mid-level managers control fiefdoms in ways that makes it easy for them to foot-drag on anything they're not interested in doing. During my tenure, we spent a lot of time talking about how we were trying to do too many things - and yet we never decided to do less. Overall, a company with a lot of individual talent that unfortunately doesn't add up to much when paired with unclear strategic direction and "legacy" employees that aren't interested in operating in a more effective way.

Continue reading

"Great culture and people, lots of opportunity, lots of change"

I have been working at Moz full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Based around core values like authenticity, generosity, and empathy, the culture at Moz is fantastic. The people truly care about one another, and want each other to succeed. This is especially true of senior management. Salaries are competitive, benefits are really wonderful (vacation expense reimbursement and professional coaching, e.g.), and there's lots of room/encouragement to grow as an employee. Moz has also matured quite a lot over the last few years. It's exited what some call its "teenage years" and has become more efficient and effective as a result, despite some necessary speed bumps along the way. The recent acquisition of STAT Search Analytics is exciting -- that team and product will be a powerful addition to Moz.

Cons

The last few years have brought a ton of change at Moz, including in strategy and senior leadership. It'd be a difficult place for those who aren't comfortable in an environment where strategic direction regularly shifts. In addition, all that change has often made it difficult for the company to function as a cohesive whole; quite a lot of time is spent revisiting planning and procedures. I do think that's a temporary issue, though, and it pales in comparison to the more positive aspects.

Found 62 reviews