Moz Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Sarah Bird

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Sincere company that cares"

Current Employee - Principal Search Scientist in Cary, NC
    Current Employee - Principal Search Scientist in Cary, NC

I have been working at Moz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart folks who care about their work product and each other. Great benefits and great people.

Cons

Tough industry competing with international community.

Advice to Management

Eyes on the prize.

"Great place to work"

Pros

Moz is a great place to work. Amazing company, great people and an awesome culture. I'd definitely recommend it to someone else.

Cons

None that I can think of.

"A great place to be, excellent work culture and wonderful people"

I worked at Moz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- They genuinely care about their employees and giving back to the community.
    - The work culture is great, employees are bright, friendly, passionate, and great to work with.
    - Really customer-centric as is also evident by the highly engaged and trusting customer base.
    - Good place to learn and grow especially if you're starting out or have a really good fit.

Cons

- The layoffs that happened last year can sometimes detract and cause undue worries.
    - Some very talented people have left (but it could be your opportunity!)

Advice to Management

- Keep it going, ignore the detractors.
    - Continue focusing on communication and accountability.
    - By all means keep the culture intact!

Apr 24, 2017 – VP of HR

We're so glad that you had a great experience at Moz! We are proud of the people-centric culture that we've built -- focused on providing great experiences for our customers, community and Mozzers... More

"Stay Far, Far Away"

I worked at Moz full-time

Pros

The company has attracted many bright, talented people who have moved on to tackle bigger, better things.

Cons

I would stay far, far away from Moz as long as Rand Fishkin remains the voice/face of the company. His influence breeds a culture of self-righteous, unprofessional, indignant people, and until you cut out the cancer, I don't see that ever changing. His response on Twitter when a paying client pointed out that it was unprofessional for Moz to send out a partisan company-wide email and share that email publicly was "Please feel free to unfollow. Only a click away!" He publicly smears people in the industry instead of going to them privately with his concerns, most recently putting Copyblogger on blast without reaching out to its founder with his feedback first.

When I worked there, 14 people quit and only two left for lifestyle reasons; the rest couldn't stand working there any more. I found it completely inappropriate that family members were on the company payroll despite their lack of experience or relevance to the industry. I witnessed numerous instances of sexism/favoritism but if anyone ever spoke out or complained, their career there was basically killed (either they were fired or promotions/upward mobility died and the employee ultimately left out of frustration). I worked with extremely talented, amazing, hard-working individuals in various positions, from entry to officer level, who all got screwed over because they provided pushback or constructive criticism that countered what Rand wanted.

If you're the type of person who likes to voice his opinion and is not afraid to offer up constructive criticism or disagree with someone's idea, or if you don't like being forced to dislike someone or burn bridges just to stay in the founder's good graces, this will not be a good environment for you.

A previous review mentioned the fact that Moz is a "12-year old VC-backed startup that has never been profitable." The reason is because the foundation is toxic, which seeps into leadership and company vision. I don't see this company's issues changing if its founder doesn't start acting more professional.

If you're the type of person who likes to voice her opinion and is not afraid to offer up constructive criticism or disagree with someone's idea, or if you don't agree with the notion that you have to dislike someone because your boss does (basically if you don't subscribe to being blindly loyal to a fault), this will not be a good environment for you.

Advice to Management

Stoking Rand's ego is not worth running this company into the ground.

Mar 24, 2017 – CEO

First, I am sorry you had a bad experience at Moz. We are committed to building an inclusive environment where people are constantly learning and can do their best work.  We have core values that... More

"Not TAGFEE"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Moz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the people there were amazing.

Cons

Other people were so terrible, I slipped into a depression while working there.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employee's concerns.

Dec 13, 2016 – Founder

Hi friend... Rand from Moz (founder) replying. Just wanted to say that:

A) Totally empathize with you. I also experienced depression in my personal/professional life at Moz, and it was awful and... More

"Good culture, but an uncertain future"

I worked at Moz full-time

Pros

The legend about the good culture is true, even though it is now experiencing an existential crisis after massive layoffs in August. The company really does want you to have a happy life in the office and outside of work. So many people are spurred to take interesting vacations because you have to take vacation to get the $3,000 yearly bonus that can only be spent on vacation activities! HR knows that the layoff has had an impact on morale, and they are trying their best to help the company through the shell shock of such a massive wound. I'm really rooting for them to succeed.

Cons

- After the layoff, the company scaled back its ambitions and took a more defensive posture that emphasizes maintenance and incremental improvement of the existing flagship product.
    - After the layoff, the office feels deflated and quiet, way too large for the reduced workforce.
    - After the layoff, many of the office perks have been cut.
    - 401k match is not immediate (it has to vest starting after one year)
    - No annual bonus structure

Advice to Management

You made a massive mistake with the company strategy. 1/3 of the company suffered the consequences of the mistake by losing their job, and the rest have had to face a sadder, less motivating work environment every day since. How can the workforce have confidence in your latest strategy? New leadership with new ideas and vision could revive the energy and inspiration in the building.

Dec 12, 2016 – VP of HR

Hi -- I appreciate your thoughtful review. We are very proud of the culture we have fostered at Moz and we are working hard to build on the parts that have made Moz a special place. We have come a... More

7. "Exceptional place to work"

I worked at Moz full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Moz has an exceptional company culture. It a great place for growth and development.

Cons

As with any company, when the leadership team makes poor business decisions, all the employees suffer the consequences.

Dec 9, 2016 – Recruiter

Thanks for your feedback and all your efforts in helping make Moz a great company!

"Tough place to grow"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Moz full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Inclusive, considerate culture
    - High base compensation in lieu of merit-based bonuses
    - Good place for employees to do the standard 9-5 and nothing more

Cons

- No business growth means no business need to grow employees. Many high performing employees fresh into their careers are leaving or in the process of leaving knowing there is no upward mobility.
    - In "maintenance mode", optimizing the costs to stabilize and run their core business. No investment in innovation with a culture that doesn't facilitate going the extra mile means you're not working on anything exciting.

Advice to Management

Many of you directly contributed to Moz's recent 30% workforce cut and the subsequent 10-15% attrition you've seen post layoff. You probably shouldn't be there any more. If that's you, you probably know it deep down and you should excuse yourself.

Dec 9, 2016

Thank you for the feedback, and for the three years of service. Your comment about innovation being stymied in part due to the employee culture is insightful. We are working to improve the ability... More

"Amazing culture and people; business outlook is tenuous"

Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Director in Seattle, WA

I worked at Moz full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The TAGFEE culture is real and wonderful.
    Very supportive of individual growth and strong work/life balance.
    Bright, committed, and passionate people.
    True commitment to giving back to the community.

Cons

The products were once best-in-class but have fallen behind the competition.
    Leadership erratically shifts from one strategy to the next trying to get to profitability, but never successfully. It's a 12-year old VC-backed startup that has never been profitable...its days are likely numbered.

"Avoid if you can"

Pros

- Good benefits
    - Competitive salary
    - Good office space

Cons

- Clicky social circles
    - Expect people to throw you under the bus, or stab you in the back
    - Much of the work being done gets thrown away
    - You might find yourself wondering what management and c-level employees do on a daily basis
    - Don't expect managerial support
    - TAGFEE is only used when convenient

Advice to Management

Moz started out by its founders with all the right intentions. Unfortunately it became a place of everyone being in it for themselves. Please promote team work, with good focus on what employees should accomplish. Otherwise, employees will quickly get jaded.

Dec 10, 2016 – Founder

(Hi, Rand from Moz replying here) I hear you. Growing a company is hard. Being at a growing company is hard, too. And in the last couple years, I agree with some of your critiques. Folks seek out... More