NAVICAN Interview Questions | Glassdoor

NAVICAN Interview Questions

Interviews at NAVICAN

2.9

Human Resources Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NAVICAN.

Interview

My interview came through an external recruiter who was very professional and gave me a clear picture of the organization and what they were looking for. I then cam in for an in-person with the HR manager. Following, I interviewed with the CEO and CFO, who were a pleasure to speak with. All of my interactions were very professional with the company. It's a startup, so it makes sense that processes are still being developed. Part of the allure of joining a startup is that you get to create structure from ambiguity. It's simply delusional to compare a startup with an established company that has been around for many years that has guidelines already formulated and implemented. Part of being proactive is following up, rather than letting your career be guided by being a passive observer.

Interview Questions

• What do you do really well or what is your "superpower?"   Answer Question

Grievance and Appeals Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NAVICAN (Salt Lake City, UT) in November 2018.

Interview

One phone screening and then one on site interview a week later via them reaching out to me unprompted through a employment website. The phone screening was very positive but the in person interview was a little disjointed and disorganized.
    Nobody knew how long they had me booked for and I had to pull my phone out a few times to read them off the interview schedule I was sent. Initially I was scheduled to interview with three people but the second person (a bioinformatics director) couldn't be located/appeared to be double booked. The third person I spoke with (a Revenue/Appeals Specialist) had little to no questions for me and seemed frazzled and awkward. I ended up asking her more questions than she asked me regarding their day to day and how things are structured in the department. She asked almost no on the job questions, and was more chatty than anything else. She kept looking around the room (it was just her and I) as if she was lost or needed help. It was very odd.
    No job offer made, stating that they want someone with more revenue and appeals experience - strange considering that is my current full time job and has been for several years. If anything I felt overqualified for the position. Both interviewers stated they haven't even made it to the appeals process yet and often are doing work that some employees might consider "below them". I left unsure what the position even was if I wouldnt be doing what the title implied.

Interview Questions

• General questions regarding the revenue and appeals process.   Answer Question

Marketing Communications Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at NAVICAN (San Diego, CA) in September 2018.

Interview

I applied for the job online after coming across a posting on LinkedIn. After an initial phone screening with the SVP of Commercial Operations, whom my role would report to, NAVICAN's office manager/Executive Assistant helped schedule me for an in-person interview, which the Director of HR and Project Manager also joined. At this point I had done my own independent research on the company and market and had a lot of questions about NAVICAN's product, long-term corporate strategy and team culture. Luckily my interviewers were extremely patient with fielding all my probing questions and we had a really engaging conversation.

Following my first in-person interview, I was asked to come in for a second round and meet with more team members, including the executive team. I had individual conversations with each person, again very engaging. Even though it was a long day I appreciated getting to talk with all team members at length. Everyone was transparent, friendly, professional, energetic and obviously very driven.

I do think the interview process was lengthy and challenging, but this wasn't a turn-off for me. The company is clearly focused on controlled growth as there are exciting things coming down the pipeline. And it's apparent that the leadership team is focused on hiring the right people who will uphold a high standard. I think if you are excited by a position NAVICAN has posted, you need to come into the interview having prepared specifically for interviewing with this company and show thoughtfulness about their product and market. It's a startup where everyone is proactive and carries a lot of weight in a fast-paced environment.

A nice plus - I really appreciated that the office manager/Executive Assistant provided me with a super-organized schedule for each of my interview days, including interviewers' names and positions, dress code and parking info, and the building's address all in one tidy email. Allot yourself extra time to park before your interview as the office is in a large building with a big parking structure!

Interview Questions

• From what you've read and researched about NAVICAN, what do you think we do?   1 Answer
    • Shifting from talking about high-level strategy and values, what does it look like when it comes time for you to execute?   1 Answer
    • Tell us about a project that was memorable or that you're proud of.   1 Answer

Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at NAVICAN (San Diego, CA) in September 2018.

Interview

Like the previous interview review stated. More chatting than real interview.

All interviewers were really friendly and professional. In my experience, I interviewed for the data engineer position. The interview lasted from 9am to 12pm. I met with folks from the business side, developers, and finally the CTO. They were very inquisitive on how to improve their data processes. I gave them satisfactory answers and received positive feedback from every interviewer, which gave me the impression I was more than qualified for the job.

A few days passed, then I got the generic 'thank you' email from the recruiter. I reached out via email to the recruiter get further feedback on exactly why they had rejected me, given that all the interviewers gave me stellar reviews. I never heard back.

This gave me the impression that Navican was just using me to obtain free consulting insights in the guise of a job interview. This behavior is typical of the San Diego start-up scene. A company will ask a seasoned professional to come in for an interview, then the candidate reveals the secrets, then they never hear from you again. Typically to use the secrets and build the technology in-house at a much cheaper cost.

My advice to future interview candidates, be wary of companies like Navican which try to extract valuable information from candidates for their without any compensation for the candidate.

Interview Questions

• What are some ETL tools you have worked with in the past?   Answer Question

NAVICAN Response

Oct 11, 2018 – Marketing Communications Manager

Hi, there - Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We’re happy to hear that you found everyone you spoke with during your interview friendly and professional. As a recruiting organization we absolutely wish we could give personalized feedback to every candidate. However, being a growing startup with many positions to fill, we simply have time constraints - not to mention legal implications to keep in mind when we share information with some candidates and not others. Our recruiter eventually connected with you over the phone to discuss why we chose not move forward, so we hope our reasoning is clear. As for your impression that NAVICAN was just using your interview to obtain free consulting, it simply isn’t true. We’re sorry to hear that you’ve experienced this with other companies in the San Diego startup scene, but NAVICAN does not compromise on confidentiality or integrity to develop our products. We have an expert team and we hold technical interviews to evaluate whether candidates’ qualifications are up to par, as is industry standard. We maintain a conversational style to determine if they are a good fit. We have shared your feedback with our hiring team in an effort to improve the recruiting process for both sides and wish you the best in your search!

Technogist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at NAVICAN (Salt Lake City, UT) in September 2018.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter to apply for one of their Technogist positions in Salt Lake City. The phone interview went well and had several questions about my background. I was contacted a few days later for an interview in their office and to meet the team. The interview went well I thought and I was told I'd be contacted in a few weeks. That was months ago, I've heard nothing back from them. I haven't received a rejection call or email. Completely unprofessional to ghost someone during the interview process. If you can't bring clear communication during the interview process why would I ever want to work for you?

Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at NAVICAN (San Diego, CA).

Interview

To begin, everyone that I have dealt with at Navican couldn't have been more polite or professional during our phone interviews. The interviews themselves were fairly relaxed and more conversational, with a focus on my previous work and interest in working for their company.

As for the interview process, I was contacted by a member of HR to do a phone interview with a scientist on staff. The interviewer told me the company would be in touch shortly. I didn't hear anything back so 2 weeks later I sent a follow up email to HR, and they apologized for the delay and set up a second interview with another scientist. During the interview I was told to expect to hear back within the week, but after hearing nothing 2 weeks later I followed up with HR again. Nearly a month has gone by since then and I have not heard back.

Office Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NAVICAN (Salt Lake City, UT) in May 2018.

Interview

1)Phone Screen with a recruiter
    2)WebEx with hiring manager
    3) 2-3 hour in-person interview with hiring manager & other members of the team
    4) Phone Interview with HR/member of Senior Leadership
    5) Offer

Everyone I met with conducted themselves very professionally and they were all very friendly. It was a very relaxed atmosphere with open-ended conversations and great feedback. All of my questions were answered in detail and everyone was very engaged and excited about the work they do for NAVICAN.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your background?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever worked for a start up? How do you feel about change and a fast-past environment?   Answer Question

Pcs Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Salt Lake City, UT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NAVICAN (Salt Lake City, UT) in March 2018.

Interview

It was intense. I met with many people of the team. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. My questions were answered and I felt confident when I left the interview.

Technical Product Owner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at NAVICAN (San Diego, CA) in January 2018.

Interview

More chatting than real interview. The interviewer had joined the company recently and didn't know about the company, work and job description. Ver open ended and soft skill based interview.

Interview Questions

• What are your thoughts on current process and how will you improve it?   1 Answer

NAVICAN Response

Sep 21, 2018 – SVP Commercial Operations

Thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback. We are sorry you felt your interview experience was negative. The conversational interview is something we do by design, and just one of a few steps in our hiring process. We find open-ended conversations, after screening a candidate for his or her technical skills, helps everyone relax and open up. This in turns allows us to learn more about each candidate and how they would fit within the NAVICAN culture. We are in the midst of an exciting year of rapid growth, and evaluating soft skills is important as we aim to bring the right people on board. Our agile and collaborative environment requires a lot of teamwork, thinking on your feet and creative problem-solving in addition to other 'hard' qualifications. We have shared your feedback with our hiring team in an effort to improve the recruiting process for both sides and wish you the best in your search.