NY Daily News Interview Questions | Glassdoor

NY Daily News Interview Questions

2.4

Digital Producer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NY Daily News (New York, NY).

Interview

One first interview and then a test. Meeting with the three managers. A couple of questions about SEO and the position. Later a second interview, with one manager, and the test.

Fashion Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at NY Daily News (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

Easy and Quick. Sat at the office lobby area, talked through previous experience and touched upon what you would be doing as an intern. The interviewer showed some examples of what you are expected to do.

Photo Gallery Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NY Daily News (New York, NY) in December 2014.

Interview

I was interviewed in December 2014 for a Photo Gallery Editor position at the New York City office. The interview was conducted by the manager of the gallery team, who had clearly taken the time to go over my resume and asked how my previous experiences would make me a suitable candidate. Unfortunately, I did not get the position but I did receive thoughtful feedback from the manager in follow-up emails which I appreciated, and believe assisted me in my job search.

Interview Questions

• The photo gallery manager asked me for unique gallery ideas based on trending news/entertainment stories of the week.   Answer Question

Online Photo Gallery Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NY Daily News (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by an online editor about an interview. This editor, or other managers obviously didn't review my application very carefully (kind of a big red flag for a "news" organization) because they wanted me to come into the office for an interview. I do not live in the city (NYC), in fact I live over 800 miles away (which they would have known had they reviewed my application and resume). When I emailed the woman to correct her mistake, and ask if instead I could do a phone/skype interview instead, I never got a response. Never ever heard from them again. I felt the entire experience was extremely unprofessional. It only takes two seconds to write a response retracting an offer due to location, and I did not understand why I wasn't shown that courtesy. I was very put off by the way this manager handled this situation.

Interview Questions

• Why didn't they respond to my email after they offered me an interview   1 Answer

Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at NY Daily News.

Interview

Interview and hiring process was very quick. I got to meet the whole team in my interview which was nice, and was quickly given an offer by the end of the week.

Interview Questions

• Not that it was a problem for me, but the Daily News makes all new employees take a drug test. Just a word of warning!   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not the most competitive salary in the world, but that is to be expected with publishing these days.

Digital Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NY Daily News (New York, NY).

Interview

Deceptively easy, and not very accurate. On in-person interview. Said they called references. Main problem was that I was hired by "the old regime" and was deemed "not a good fit" by the new regime. Hiring mangager was fired a few months after hiring me.

Negotiation

They made a very generous offer. I took it.

Freelane Writer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NY Daily News (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

The interview was brief and to the point and allowed me to expound on my areas of interest as far as a beat and topics that I was interested in covering. It also gave insight about the scope of the job and the vagaries involved in completing freelance assignments.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my background.   1 Answer

Photo Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NY Daily News (New York, NY) in July 2013.

Interview

One interview with the Senior Photo Editor. Spoke about the company and what they expected from me. Very approachable and laid back culture. Definitely go in knowing about the company and what they do. Had to take an edit test that asked me to assign photos to stories and create homepage art for the website.

Interview Questions

• Questions about past photo experience, photo skills, editorial judgement.   1 Answer

Editor Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at NY Daily News (New York, NY) in March 2012.

Interview

Easy interview. Very casual, talked a little bit about my experience and what was needed from the interviewer. Entire process took about 7-10 days. I was offered job on the spot.

Interview Questions

• What kind of experience do you have ? What is your efficiency level?   Answer Question

Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at NY Daily News (New York, NY) in August 2010.

Interview

The interview was fairly easy to arrange, seemed to have an air of both myself and them figuring out what the job was really going to be. Very friendly staff, clearly a busy and budget-strapped team that needed one person to fill multiple roles.

Interview Questions

• How have you worked with outside vendors before? What worked well and what didn't?   Answer Question