New York Public Library Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at New York Public Library

2.6

Associate Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

Basic interview with standard questions ("describe a time when..." or "what's your working style?" etc). Started with HR and then moved onto meeting with supervising managers. Throughout the process, I tried to maintain contact, sending out thank you notes, emailing HR for updates, but they rarely emailed back. The process was neither speedy nor transparent.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you disagreed with a supervisor.
      Do you work best in a team or on your own?   1 Answer

Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Staten Island, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at New York Public Library (Staten Island, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

The process was smooth and painless. As long as you answer the interview questions honestly and truthfully you should get the position. Unless they are packed with workers, it will be relatively simple to find a position.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in February 2008.

Interview

Super low key. Met with a manager and mostly had a conversation about the programs offered. They let me know in a few days that I had the job. Wasn't stressful at all. I had a lot of experience in the development and non profit community which is what they like to see.

Interview Questions

• What type of experience do you have that would be valuable here?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

I emailed the arts library directly to inquire about any open internship positions, since I didn't see any listed on the website. I was able to interview and started my internship within a few weeks.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

I was referred to the position by a third party so I did not interview, but my employer asked me my interests, academically and otherwise to determine how I would be able to contribute without a museum studies or art history background

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Received an email for a phone interview. Phone interview was standard; about 15 minutes long. Called the following week to come in for an in-person interview. The HR recruiter was extremely helpful in that she reminded me what to review and gave me important information to look up about the company. She gave me a couple questions that they may ask. Asked if I wanted anything to drink; very hospitable. The in-person interview itself was rushed. The woman who interviewed me was (very) pregnant, and seemed not interested in my responses. Not sure if she already found the perfect candidate or just wanted the interview to be over. Didn't get the position but was very grateful for the opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your previous experience at (insert company here)   1 Answer

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in November 2015.

Interview

I applied online for the position and got called in for an interview a week or two later. The interviewer asked me a bunch of questions about my experience and what I was looking to for in a position. She explained the department (which I didn't know a ton about) and what they were looking for. The interviewer was friendly, but definitely grilled me about my past work. The job was interesting but it sounded like they had a lot of candidates and I didn't end up getting an offer.

Interview Questions

• An example of when I had multiple projects going on at the same time with different key players and how I managed them.   1 Answer
    • HOw I use communication to resolve difficult problems at work.   Answer Question

Building Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in January 2018.

Interview

The interview process was several rounds of meeting with people in HR & Facilities for about a month. I was made an offer before the background check. This process took about 2 weeks. I've never wanted a Job more.. However the offer was rescinded, as the 3rd party background check company couldn't verify a past employer.

Interview Questions

• They asked generic interview questions, and increasingly more technical with each round of interviews   2 Answers

Senior Librarian Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at New York Public Library.

Interview

I received an email setting up a phone interview with the department for the following week. After the interview, I was emailed by another person outside of the dept. asking me to speak with them the next day. First interview lasted ~30 minutes and was with a few different people, the second was more like 15 minutes with just one person.

Senior Librarian Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at New York Public Library (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

First a phone interview then an interview with HR and the four district managers. Even though the interview was with a panel it wasn’t as scary as I thought it would be. It did take a long time to hear back from them.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult situation and how you handled it.   Answer Question