Newfield Wireless Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Newfield Wireless Interview Questions

2.8

RF Field Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Newfield Wireless.

Interview

2 phone calls,
    1 Screening
    1 Main interview
    Recruiter called, screening questions and then the manager. Few technical question and few aptitude question. Nothing complex. All basic. Asked about traveling availability and few other question like finding out logs of some numbers. Remind you that it is a temporary position and promise you that you will be saving good money.

Interview Questions

• Basically what did you used to do, nothing serious, nothing personal   2 Answers

C++ Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Newfield Wireless (San Jose, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Newfield Wireless in 06 2015.
    1. Phone interview with a recruiter, going over your resume. 2. Programming test on HackerRank (2 hours to complete 3 assignments). They give you automated test cases, but you can only see whether they pass or fail.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Newfield Wireless (Berkeley, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Applied online and got a call from HR in a week for a brief 30min chat. They had me do an unattended 2 hour, 3 problem coding challenge in C++ on Hacker Rank website. The problems were easy and I passed with flying colors.

Then a week later spoke with a more senior HR person for about 1 hour, typical chat about what the company does and what I'm looking for. He followed up with an email, setting up a technical interview with a senior developer the following week.

Then about a week afterwards, had a 1 hour technical phone interview with a senior developer. Two coding problems done on a shared Google doc. I solved both, the first one not optimally, but we discussed the solution afterwards and I analyzed the complexity correctly. The guy seemed nice and the conversation went well.

About a week later I received an emal from the 1st HR person, informing me that the interviewer enjoyed the conversation with me, but felt that my skills do not match the needs of the team at this time. I felt that this was overly terse and inadequate feedback, especially since I aced the online coding test and solved both problems during the technical interview. Felt they wasted a lot of my time and didn't explain enough why I didn't meet their requirements.

Interview Questions

• 1. Find missing number in a sequence
      2. Reverse words in a sentence   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Newfield Wireless in November 2014.

Interview

I responded to a job posting on Indeed and was contacted shortly afterward for a phone screen with HR. The phone screen was a basic information gathering session and resulted in a request for my to complete an online exam consisting of three questions.

The questions were very easy and tested basic computer science knowledge--can you identify and apply an understanding of data structures such as a stack? After completing the test I was contacted the following week for a second phone screen with HR and this is where it all went downhill.

The second phone screen with with the senior recruiter. He spoke in an uncomfortably slow manner and, due to technical difficulties with his connection (I heard him load and clear), had to call me back four times. He said the connection was never good--about 50% of words understood.

During this awkward conversation, the question of salary came up and I responded with my current base and expected future base. He seemed okay with the amount and we ended the conversation on a good note--so I thought. Turns out, "he felt that your skills did not match the needs of the team at this time." That's ironic given that he could barely make out words during the conversation. Remember, this is a signals optimization focused company. The technical difficulties are all on them and it was a sad showing.

Anyway, if they were honest, I'm sure they'd concede it was the salary requirements that were problematic for them. It's clear from their Glassdoor information my current base salary greatly exceeds their range for the role.

Interview Questions

• Every question was basic in nature, including the online technical exam. Remember, I only spoke with individuals from HR.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Newfield Wireless (Berkeley, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

1. Phone interview with a recruiter, going over your resume.
    3. Interactive programming session with one of their engineers (again on HackerRank).
    4. On-site interview with 6 1-hour sessions, 1-on-1 with other engineers. Most of them will give you a programming assignment to be completed on the whiteboard.

I was very pleased with the process. Everyone I spoke to was very friendly and they always got back to me within 24 hours.

Interview Questions

• I couldn't remember some of the algorithms from my first-year computer science courses. Might want to go back and study those.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Newfield Wireless in October 2014.

Interview

I had an initial phone screen which was followed by a 2hour code challenge on hacker rank. After passing that I was moved forward to a live coding challenge with Michael, an employee on the team I was interviewing for. Michael, didn't seem interested in interviewing me and didn't asked me about myself or make any effort to do typical small talk pleasantries. I was told that we would use hackerrank's online pair programming tool by HR but we ended up using a google doc. He asked if I had used GoogleTest and then proceeded to ask me 2 coding questions. The first was to find the missing number from a disordered sequence of missing numbers that included all but one number up to N. The second question was to reverse the order of words in a string. He didn't ask any questions about OOP, modern C++, threading, or anything I had been expecting.

Interview Questions

• Michael asked me to reverse the order of the words in a string. Without giving any guidance about the constraints he wanted, he actually wanted an in-place transformation.   1 Answer

Software Quality Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Newfield Wireless in October 2014.

Interview

Emailed to set up a phone interview within the same month of applying. Asked about previous projects and what I had done since school. I asked questions about the company, but she didn't seem to know much about the department she was hiring for.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Nice and professional, but zero feedback afterwards. Made me feel like my time was worthless. You will be asked to write good C++ code, and perhaps they expect you to show off sa many C++ peatures as you can.

Software Quality Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Newfield Wireless in June 2014.

Interview

There are four steps in the interview. First one is H&R questions with a simple math question, then some coding homework to be sent within 24 hours, then technical questions and finally 1 day with the staff.

Interview Questions

• Some recursive algorithm problem for finding all possible permutations in a string   1 Answer

Software Quality Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Newfield Wireless in May 2014.

Interview

I had applied online on my school’s career website. I got an email for a phone screen within a week.

During the phone screen, I was asked a few general HR type questions.
    There was one basic math question: Two cell towers (called north tower and south tower respectively because of their obvious locations) are 8 km apart. A round trip for a message from a stationary cell phone to the north tower takes 40 microseconds and the same for the south tower is 67 microseconds. Find the approximate location of the cell phone.

Answer: Use distance=speed of light*(round trip time/2). It will be 6km from north tower and 10km from the south tower. By geometry, the cell phone is located either on the east or west at the distance of 6km from the north tower on a line perpendicular to the line joining the two towers.

It was followed by a technical test wherein I had to choose one question out of three and send the code within 24 hours. These were the questions:
    1. Assume the US dollar is available in denominations of $100, $50, $20, $10, $5, $1, $0.25, $0.10, $0.05 and $0.01. Write a function to return the number of different ways to exactly represent an arbitrary value less than $1,000.00 using any number or combination of these denominations.

2. Determine the sum of all prime numbers less than an input number (the input number will be at most 10,000,000).

3. I have a csv format table of telephone calls; each call is on a line of the format “calling #, called #” (e.g., several lines similar to "123456, 222".) Define friends as any two people who have talked, and acquaintances as any two people who are not friends, but share a friend. Thus, if A talks to B, and C talks to B, then A and B are friends, A and C are acquaintances. Find who has the most acquaintances. The table will have at most 1,000,000 entries, and the phone numbers will be integers with at most 15 digits.

I got through this coding round and then there was one technical phone interview. The questions were aligned with the work done in the team I was interviewing for. The questions were on basic C programming, some algorithms, probability and testing. The testing questions were pretty vague and I could not understand what the interviewer wanted. This may have led to my reject which I got within few days.

Interview Questions

• Two cell towers (called north tower and south tower respectively because of their obvious locations) are 8 km apart. A round trip for a message from a stationary cell phone to the north tower takes 40 microseconds and the same for the south tower is 67 microseconds. Find the approximate location of the cell phone.   2 Answers