NexJ Systems Interview Questions | Glassdoor

NexJ Systems Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2017

2.8

QA Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at NexJ Systems (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in October 2017.

Interview

Very casual and comfortable, the interviewer was extremely friendly as well. Felt as if we were having a conversation, interviewer was very interested in why I thought my university program was fit for QA. (Haven't received response from company yet, disregard the answer to "Did you get an offer?" below).

Interview Questions

• How would you test this white board marker?   1 Answer

QA Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NexJ Systems (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in September 2017.

Interview

First had a short phone screen with basic behavioral and background questions. Less than a week later, we had scheduled a 60 minute in-person interview with 2 members of the QA team. After that, they got back to me more than a week later. The interviewers were quite friendly and helpful.

Interview Questions

• What is QA? What's the difference between white and black box testing? Basic questions about QA.   Answer Question
    • For some arbitrary item (e.g. a dry erase marker), describe how you would go about testing it.   Answer Question
    • Construct a SQL query to extract some piece of information from the two tables given.   Answer Question
    • How would you troubleshoot a bug in a black box system?   Answer Question
    • Describe, in detail, your experience with QA.   Answer Question

Senior Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North York, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NexJ Systems (North York, ON (Canada)) in September 2017.

Interview

It's not every day you interview with an employer who despite of not getting a job with you still want to ensure they get the recognition they deserve for giving the candidates a great interviewing experience.

Applied for a different role which was filled, HR emailed back suggesting another position which fit my profile so I shared my resume with the Talent Lead, Karen - who was a delight to work with. Had a 45 minute long screening call followed by invitation for an in-person interview a week or so later. In person interview was with 3 very cool gentlemen including the hiring manager, all from Product team. Had great conversations with them. A couple weeks later got invited for the final interview which was supposed to be with the Director - Business Analysis, VP - Application Development and the Hiring Manager. One of them had suffered an injury but was kind enough to go with the interview via Skype.

Unfortunately, I didn't end up getting the gig but that's alright, it's the nature of the game! Their loss and well, mine too ;) Maybe I win another day!

I cannot stress enough about how pleasant the HR is to work with, I never had to follow up - always received updates and they were always constantly in touch. I have been actively interviewing and with most employers, there is sheer lack of empathy and consideration. Major plus points to NexJ's HR!

Interview Questions

• A couple design thinking exercises.

Product Management discussions revolving around customer experience, product performance and improvement etc.

Agile framework related discussions regarding release management, backlog management, scrum events etc.

Situational questions:
      How did you handle/manage someone with ego during the development process?
      What's your biggest failure?
      What's a product or achievement you are most proud of and why?

Overall, fun stuff.   1 Answer

Oct 20, 2017 – HR Coordinator

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide such an insightful and detailed review. We are very humbled to read your remarks.

We are thankful for the interest that all of our candidates... More

Software Test Automation Developer Interview

Interview

Email or brief phone interview followed by around 2 hours of written test, which was a complete time waste. My test went so good, still didnt get call. After test, they call for another in-person interview, which depends on your written test.

Interview Questions

• Written set of questions, which included programming questions and some theory questions. Explain encapsulation, object, polymorphism. There were few general questions also.   Answer Question

Software Automation Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NexJ Systems in August 2017.

Interview

The behavior of the company's manager is extremely pathetic with no decency whatsoever and extremely demoralizing. Unnecessary 4 rounds of interviews. If you reach crack an HR round, 1 technical Skype interview, 1 written test, then there would be another Skype interview. The final round was supposed to be a discussion round, but instead turned out to be a rather uncomfortable experience.
    Nobody has the right to say that "Do you even know programming or anything about computers" if he is a Btech and M.Sc in CS. I think that the manager is extremely frustrated with his life and should be replaced as soon as possible if the company wants to go anywhere. I wonder how poorly I would have been treated as an employee had I been selected if this how a candidate is treated. A rather poor effort to interview candidates. Worst experience so far.
    I follow Glassdoor closely and the negative reviews written there about the company seem to be true. This was sadly a total waste of my time. Weeks of interview leading to nothing but uncovering managers who lack basic soft skills.

I follow Glassdoor closely and the negative reviews written there about the company are absolutely true. This was sadly a total waste of my time. Weeks of interview leading to nothing but uncovering managers who lack basic soft skills.
    A special mention must be given about this stupid & frustrated Manager who doesn't deserve to be in any company but I am choosing to refrain.
    In the end, the company tried to degrade the morale of an aspiring professional candidate who is just trying to start his career in Canada with previous experience elsewhere.
    As an advice KEEP AWAY guys.

Interview Questions

• Same questions as stated in earlier threads   Answer Question
    • reverse a singular LL. Post order BST traversal using stacks. Silly questions like find the solution of a quadratic equation. Convert an integer to a string without a library function.   Answer Question

Aug 4, 2017 – Talent Lead

Thanks for taking the time to provide a review. We’re sorry to hear you had a poor experience as we do take our hiring process and candidate experience very seriously.

As you mentioned, we are... More

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North York, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NexJ Systems (North York, ON (Canada)).

Interview

This is not an interview at all. This is an insulting paper-and-pencil "skill test" designed to flood you with more questions than you have time to answer properly, regardless how many skills or years of experience you have. The only way to pass this skill test is give them the exact solution that THEY want because you won't have any time to figure anything out on your own during the test. In other words, your creativity is not valued; your special skills make no difference; you don't matter. Any technical knowledge you possess that makes you more informed about computers than what the lead developer knows about will be flat out rejected. Not only are the questions never encountered by any practicing software developer in the real world, the solutions to these "problems" have been fully worked out and made available in standard libraries for free many decades ago. The goal of the "skill test" is to gather "evidence" that they WILL use against you. At no time does anybody bother to say anything about your resume or about the job they are supposedly hiring for. Trust me when I say that they are not interested in hiring anybody. I seriously doubt whether there is any job to be had in that company. They just sadistically torture highly skilled people who are looking for employment. Their attitude is that you are not good enough for the company to hire you, so why did you bother applying? In the interest of answering as many of the questions as possible, you will inevitably fail to write code to handle certain boundary cases. Also it will be very likely that you will make elementary mistakes, which is of course perfectly expected because they have deliberately placed you under duress. They will also ignore the fact that in the real world, software developers work together in teams, not alone in isolation. In a real work setting, software developers are given the time they need to look up documentation, write test cases, run their code multiple times and get someone else to identify additional boundary cases you might not have thought of. Instead this "skill test" seriously expects you to be perfect -- a superhuman programmer, with no flaws whatsoever. They want you to write a perfect solution without ever using any computer, without ever looking anything up anywhere, without ever testing anything. You somehow just know the perfect answer without even thinking about it and can regurgitate it upon command -- according to them.

Interview Questions

• Reverse a singly-linked list from first principles, using any programming language you like and without calling any standard library functions.   2 Answers
    • Write a subroutine that solves a quadratic equation.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North York, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at NexJ Systems (North York, ON (Canada)) in April 2017.

Interview

First was a phone interview with someone that seemed very disinterested in what you had to say and asked very general behavioural questions and questions about your background.

Next was a 2 hour pen and paper technical test at their offices, being placed into a room by yourself. The questions were fairly basic in scope but it seemed like they wanted the best possible answers and expected you to write them with edge cases in mind with the best efficiency possible, which seems fairly nonsensical for what appeared to be a 2 hour test and an entry-level position.

The first page of questions were a few programming questions, such as converting an integer to a string without using any libraries or reversing a linked list, which they claim has more weight to them than the second page, which were knowledge questions such as stuff about Object Oriented Programming, SOAP and Mir-IHOP and when to use them, Java bean vs Enterprise bean, etc.

Judging from previous reviews on them about their interviews, it seems that they have no desire to change from the way they're doing things and they have no desire or leniency for errors. Take my advice and either steer clear or do whatever it takes to ensure you have the most optimal and most perfect answers down when you step into that isolated office space.

Quality Assurance Analyst (Coop) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at NexJ Systems (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

I only had one interview with the manager, going through my past work and school experiences. I had to answer typical behavioral questions. I didn't have to answer any technical questions.

They were very quick and I heard back from them in a weeks time.

Interview Questions

NexJ Systems Response

Mar 8, 2017 – SVP, HR

Thank you for your remarks. It is great to hear that you found the interview process to be efficient, and that it resulted in an offer! We can't wait to have you as part of the team for the upcoming... More

QA Analyst () Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at NexJ Systems (Waterloo, ON (Canada)) in February 2017.

Interview

A lot of it was behavioural based. Given that most of the applicants are first-years, they don't expect too much from a technically. Definitely work on the introduce yourself question. Half the interview was about answering lateral thinking questions.

Interview Questions

NexJ Systems Response

Mar 8, 2017 – SVP, HR

Your feedback is appreciated, and I am happy to learn that you felt as though your interview experience at NexJ was positive. We are working towards making the candidate experience the best it can... More

Framework Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at NexJ Systems in October 2016.

Interview

I got a code test first. Then in the interview, the questions are mainly about the test I've done and some other technique questions about database, software design patterns, etc.

Interview Questions

NexJ Systems Response

Mar 8, 2017 – SVP, HR

Hello. I would like to thank you for your inputs, as improving the candidate experience is very important to us at NexJ. We strongly welcome any and all feedback. With that being said, your interest... More