Northwestern University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Northwestern University Interview Questions

Updated Nov 10, 2017

2.6

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern University in September 2017.

Interview

I had a first round interview over the phone for a Research Analyst position in a new Lab that Northwestern is starting. At the beginning of the interview they described the three round process. First was a phone/skype intervie, the second would be a stata test, and last would be a 1v1 interview with the professor I would be working under.

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Evanston, IL) in September 2017.

Interview

The interview was quite nice. We spoke about my experience, future goals, and job duties of the position I was applying for. I also had to complete Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook tests before I was called to interview.

Assistant Director of Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Evanston, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by email a couple of weeks later to set up a phone interview. The phone interview went very well and was a positive experience. I was later contacted to come in for an in-person interview with 4 senior members of the department. The interviews were all conducted on time and each interviewer had varying degrees of interviewing style and difficulty over a total of 2.5 hours. At that point, I felt like it had been a good experience.

Several days after the interview, the assistant that did my phone interview emailed me an update saying that she heard very positive things about my interview and would be in touch again soon. After another week went by, I emailed my interviewers for an update and they responded that they would be contacting me shortly with next steps and looked forward to reconnecting soon. The whole process was very long and drawn out, but still seemed to have a friendly, personal touch.

Unfortunately, that personal touch was lost when, 4 long weeks after the in-person interview, I received a generic email from Northwestern's HR system stating that I did not get the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when a project that you were working on went horribly wrong.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern University.

Interview

Easy interview with straightforward questions. I was interviewed by at least three people and then had a follow-up interview with the Hiring Manager. Everyone was friendly and upfront about the responsibilities of the position.

Administrative Assistant/Patient Services Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Evanston, IL) in July 2017.

Interview

I was contacted via email by the manager for phone interview then went to in person interview. Let me start by saying the manager was questionable, the posting was originally listed as Admin Assistant and remained that way for at least a month. She had an in person interview with me and the next day the title of the posting was changed to a PSA, what my resume title was-I was shocked and confused when I saw that change! So, the office manager and the two girls who worked at the check in desk interviewed me.. When interviewing with the manager she acted very nonchalant and rolled her eyes when I mentioned HIPAA, I use to work at one of the best teaching hospitals in the country so the eyes rolling left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. She also had forgotten what she had asked me during the phone interview, which didn't leave a great impression on me as well.
    I then had to interview with the girls who worked a the front desk, they asked the usual questions. They also mentioned how the manager had forgotten to give them my resume, so they had no idea what my background was while speaking to me. They also had pads of paper in their hands that were strategically folded the whole time, so their previous notes didn't show. They also never wrote anything about me the whole time they were speaking to me and didn't bring pens in the room. Why did I say all that, because if you aren't interested in someone just don't call them in for an interview! It was very apparent they had other candidates in mind and they ended up wasting my time. As I left the clinic I knew I didn't get the job and I was happy about it. It was a very un-stimulating work environment.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of going above and beyond for a patient?   Answer Question

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Evanston, IL) in July 2017.

Interview

Process was very quick, took 2 days. Started with a phone screen from the manager and then a face to face interview with the director, manager and panel with the team.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you made an impact on your team that you initiated.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern University.

Interview

Located through a recruiter. Initial interview was a phone screening, called back for in person the following week. Met with dept. manager, director and hr director. Received offer the following week.

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern University.

Interview

Apply online. Go to the temp center for an interview. If you are a good fit they send your application to a department that has an opening and then they interview you. Temp center is a good way to get exposed to Northwestern.

Academic Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Chicago, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online and a few days later received an email to set up a phone interview. I will give them kudos for stepping into modern times and allowing candidates to schedule their own interviews online - it makes things so much easier. My phone interview was with the Talent Acquisition Partner, and at the end he told me the next steps and told me he'd let me know either way in the next week or two, and even commented he knows how it feels to hear nothing so I'd be kept in the loop. That was the first week of April, and I didn't hear anything at all until I got the rejection email on 5/31. Obviously I figured out I wasn't moving forward when I didn't hear from him after a couple weeks, but it was disappointing to speak with someone who supposedly "gets it" and sets that expectation, and then disappears.

Interview Questions

• Basic phone screen - tell me about yourself, what's your salary expectation, etc   Answer Question

Regulatory Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The original interview process was intended as 1 panel interview. For my own experience, it was split into a panel and a single 1-on-1 due to the absence of key staff members. Staff is very friendly and open.

Interview Questions

• My past experiences both educational and job related were discussed. One question they did ask me was if I ever disagreed with a superior regarding any matter or decision. The interview itself went well and flowed very casually.   Answer Question