Northwestern University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Northwestern University Interview Questions

Updated Feb 18, 2018

2.6

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Interview

The phone interview went well and I was told that there would be a second phone interview a second day or in within a week. However, no follow-up contact was received after that.

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Evanston, IL) in January 2018.

Interview

Director of Annual Fund department emailed directly for an in-person interview with 8 of her team members. She seemed to have a great personality, loves her team, and values their perspective on selecting the newest team member. She kept saying that she would update candidates by a specific date, never did. I followed up via email, and she moved the date. Still did not follow up on that date.

Interview Questions

• What functions did I do in my prior role, what is my own educational history, why would I be interested in working for a nonprofit university (instead of corporate)   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern University.

Interview

I got quick overview of the position. They asked me about my experience. Many behavioral questions such as what I would do in this or that situation. Why I want to work at Northwestern University and why in this position

Interview Questions

• How I deal with difficult issue/task?   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I interviewed for an Administrative Assistant for the Pritzker School of Law. The process took 4+ weeks. The interview itself was really short. I had a feeling that they already had a candidate in mind because they didn't really ask me questions about myself, only questions regarding my work experience. It felt really impersonal. They were pretty quick to end the interview after less than an hour. After that I sent a follow-up thank you email and didn't get any response. Four weeks later I receive a generic email from Northwestern saying I didn't get the job. As prestigious as Northwestern is, taking 4+ weeks to get back to candidates on the status of their interview is pretty unprofessional and can lead to tarnishing of Northwestern's reputation.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral situation questions....describe a time you had to work with a difficult employee/person...etc.   Answer Question

Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Evanston, IL) in December 2017.

Interview

A recruiting company called me for position at Northwestern. Interviewed for Northwestern which was relatively simple questions . The experience required was only 3 yrs , I had more than 6 yrs of experience. I was asked personality or scenario questions only nothing technical. The interviewers said they would reply by tommorrow , after 2 days when I did not hear back I called staffing company and they contacted them back. After some time they informed that I don’t have enough experience for that role and would like to proceed with other candidate. How did they determine I did not have experience when no technical
    questions were asked ? More over when they asked for 3 yrs of experience they were getting person with 6 yrs of experience which is already double where they expecting a candidate of 25 yrs of experience .

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your self ? How would you handle difficult client or coworker ? Why should we hire you?   1 Answer

Research Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Chicago, IL) in November 2017.

Interview

Completed the interview via telephone. The interviewer liked me and gave positive feedback. She did note, however, was not interviewing others with more experience. The phone interview lasted about 30 to 45 mins.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Chicago, IL) in November 2017.

Interview

1) Phone Screen
    2) In-Person Interview

The process itself was positive. My interviewer was friendly, but
    I summit my application in November and I still haven't got an update from the recruiter.
    It has been over 2 months. After phone interview, I was notified that I will know my job status within 2 weeks. But I waited 3 more weeks after in person interview. If they do not notify me by end of next week, I would be waiting for 7 weeks since the initial phone interview.

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern University in September 2017.

Interview

I had a first round interview over the phone for a Research Analyst position in a new Lab that Northwestern is starting. At the beginning of the interview they described the three round process. First was a phone/skype intervie, the second would be a stata test, and last would be a 1v1 interview with the professor I would be working under.

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Evanston, IL) in September 2017.

Interview

The interview was quite nice. We spoke about my experience, future goals, and job duties of the position I was applying for. I also had to complete Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook tests before I was called to interview.

Assistant Director of Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Evanston, IL) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by email a couple of weeks later to set up a phone interview. The phone interview went very well and was a positive experience. I was later contacted to come in for an in-person interview with 4 senior members of the department. The interviews were all conducted on time and each interviewer had varying degrees of interviewing style and difficulty over a total of 2.5 hours. At that point, I felt like it had been a good experience.

Several days after the interview, the assistant that did my phone interview emailed me an update saying that she heard very positive things about my interview and would be in touch again soon. After another week went by, I emailed my interviewers for an update and they responded that they would be contacting me shortly with next steps and looked forward to reconnecting soon. The whole process was very long and drawn out, but still seemed to have a friendly, personal touch.

Unfortunately, that personal touch was lost when, 4 long weeks after the in-person interview, I received a generic email from Northwestern's HR system stating that I did not get the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when a project that you were working on went horribly wrong.   Answer Question