Northwestern University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Northwestern University Interview Questions

Updated Jun 14, 2018

2.6

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern University.

Interview

HR is very slow moving, so the faster way into the University is via the Temp Center. They do a general intake, then a quick in-person interview. You simply apply for jobs you are interested in online, and the Temp Center helps to match you to openings. Not every position will be temp-to-hire but this hiring method loophole is well-known by managers.

Interview Questions

• Describe your career up to this point. Tell me about a time you had a difficult customer and how did you handle that situation.   Answer Question

Associate Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Northwestern University.

Interview

Had a phone call with manager first. In person, lots of short (20-min) meetings with individual faculty and staff. Very little time to dig deep with any one person.

Interview Questions

• What do you do when you aren't getting an answer from someone in a timely manner?   Answer Question

Temporary SummerRole Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Chicago, IL) in June 2018.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me on Monday regarding a phone screening and by the next day, we set up an one-on-one interview. She sent me a questionnaire to do prior to the interview via email. Once I got to the interview location, the manager that was supposed to interview me wasn't available so they had two other people within the department come and hold the interview.

The interview was nice and friendly.

Interview Questions

• What would you say that other people would like you to do more in?   Answer Question

Student Interview

Interview

The interview process for applying to the undergraduate program involves writing a Common Application, which is standard for most schools, and includes a personal essay and several sections about biographical information and intended areas of study. Not all applicants are interviewed, but interviews are mostly conducted by alumni interviewers.

Postdoctoral Research Associate Interview

Interview

The phone interview went well and I was told that there would be a second phone interview a second day or in within a week. However, no follow-up contact was received after that.

Program Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Evanston, IL) in January 2018.

Interview

Director of Annual Fund department emailed directly for an in-person interview with 8 of her team members. She seemed to have a great personality, loves her team, and values their perspective on selecting the newest team member. She kept saying that she would update candidates by a specific date, never did. I followed up via email, and she moved the date. Still did not follow up on that date.

Interview Questions

• What functions did I do in my prior role, what is my own educational history, why would I be interested in working for a nonprofit university (instead of corporate)   1 Answer

Medical Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Chicago, IL) in January 2018.

Interview

Friendly interviewer seemed genuienly interested to learn more about me. Questions were kind of difficult but overall they weren't too bad. They asked for my certification which I do not have.

Interview Questions

• What makes you a good employee?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern University.

Interview

I got quick overview of the position. They asked me about my experience. Many behavioral questions such as what I would do in this or that situation. Why I want to work at Northwestern University and why in this position

Interview Questions

• How I deal with difficult issue/task?   1 Answer

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I interviewed for an Administrative Assistant for the Pritzker School of Law. The process took 4+ weeks. The interview itself was really short. I had a feeling that they already had a candidate in mind because they didn't really ask me questions about myself, only questions regarding my work experience. It felt really impersonal. They were pretty quick to end the interview after less than an hour. After that I sent a follow-up thank you email and didn't get any response. Four weeks later I receive a generic email from Northwestern saying I didn't get the job. As prestigious as Northwestern is, taking 4+ weeks to get back to candidates on the status of their interview is pretty unprofessional and can lead to tarnishing of Northwestern's reputation.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral situation questions....describe a time you had to work with a difficult employee/person...etc.   Answer Question

Assistant Director, Career Strategy Center Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Chicago, IL) in December 2017.

Interview

Submitted online application November 17, 2017. Had phone interview with Director December 1, 2017; interviewed in person December 12, 2017, with 11 people. Withdrew from consideration February 19, 2018, after never receiving any follow-up from Northwestern. Candidates are not treated with respect at NU. I would not recommend anyone waste his or her time applying.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unusual; however, I was asked to do a role play off the cuff which I found very odd.   Answer Question