Northwestern University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Northwestern University

2.6

Senior Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Evanston, IL).

Interview

5 minute phone interview and then in-person second inverview with hiring manager with questions about the culture of academia then multiple inverviews with staff. The majority of all the interviews were about the interviewers role within the organization and a loose description of the job.

Interview Questions

• Q: Explain how you would interact with faculty and the factors that might influence how you work with them.   1 Answer

Research Study Recruiter Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Chicago, IL) in June 2020.

Interview

Very short, approximately 10 minutes long. Didn't ask many questions besides the basics. It was over Zoom and super easy. I had an internal interview because I wanted to work the permanent position.

Program Assistant II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern University.

Interview

Applied to a position in In Alumni Relations & Development as a recent NU graduate with several internship and work experiences during undergrad with cover letter and resume, got a phone interview with HR probably two weeks later (I remember it not be immediately). HR person was really kind and sweet.

Moved on to next round of in-person interviews with I believe 5-6 different people (about 20-30 minutes each one after the other, not a panel) in about 2.5 hours. Then was invited for another round with I believe 4 different people which lasted maybe 1.5 to 2 hours. Younger/entry level staff were also really sweet and encouraging, but the senior staff were very stiff, hesitant and quite rude to some extent. Most used a standard template of interview questions. The questions were not hard and didn't catch me off guard but I was exhausted towards the end of each round having to present myself all over again several times. Again, it was the entry level staff that opened up the conversation that was more personable and organic, others were cold. Regardless, I am glad that I got to meet with most of the team as I did learn a lot about their dynamic, work style, culture, and how they operated as a team. I am thankful for that learning opportunity.

After the second round of interviews, I was asked to complete the IBM Kenexa excel assessment (not too difficult if you study with youtube, though the exam's interface was not at all easy to navigate and sucked up a lot of my time, took me an hour instead of the recommended 30 minutes). In addition to that, I was asked to submit 5 references. The whole process probably lasted a month to a month and a half from application submission to decision. I was not offered the position and learned from my own search that another recent graduate was hired instead.

I was not working at the time but I can't imagine have been working full time and having to dedicate so much time to this process for a position that was offering only $19.50 in the description. I am more so upset that the process was so intensive that it required three rounds of interviews, 1 assessment, and 5 references, just to not receive any kind of feedback. I am not at all suggesting I am entitled to the position because I know there are many well-qualified and exceptional candidates applying to these positions. Yet, some courtesy and understanding to the amount of time and effort dedicated to the process would have been appreciated from the hiring manager. However, I was surprised that the HR person assigned to me still was sending other job openings my way even after I was rejected. I was very appreciative of that. I ended up applying to the temporary pool and got a part time position through there which was a much quicker and easier process, not at all as intensive.

Overall, though it was not at all a positive experience, it wasn't the worst. Even reflecting during the process and after, I do not think I would have liked working in that specific department because I don't think my personality and values would have fit their "uppity" attitude if I am being honest.

Interview Questions

• How deal with competing priorities? (As in, how do you organize your responsibilities?)   1 Answer
    • How do you deal with difficult clients/people?   Answer Question

Pct Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Chicago, IL) in March 2020.

Interview

I thought it was interesting since I have never done a video interview. At first it was awkward because you just look at yourself and it’s very hard to know where to focus but after the first couple questions you get used to it

Graduate Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern University.

Interview

flew in to interview. very friendly. I met with several professors for interviews. It was a two day process. they paid for my flights etc. The weather was very cold though.

Law Student Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern University.

Interview

Kira interview online, the process took 20 minutes or so. It moved fast and the interface automatically stopped when the time was up. They asked 5 questions in total and gave 2 minutes or so to prepare the question.

PhD Candidate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Chicago, IL).

Interview

I met with five professors who were very insightful and asked about my previous research experience at National Institutes of Health and University of Michigan. It was a very relaxed environment and we were able to talk about science and they told me about Northwestern University.

Interview Questions

• 1.) What is your previous research experience   1 Answer

Senior Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Chicago, IL) in December 2019.

Interview

My experience was unique. I volunteered with my current employer and was asked to interview shortly after my volunteer experience. It was casual, informative, and streamlined. I was offered a position and received an offer letter within two to three weeks maximum. It was a excellent experience.

Interview Questions

• Past experience in the role   1 Answer

PhD Student BME Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Chicago, IL) in December 2019.

Interview

Casual phone call with professor prior to interview process. Mostly talked about his research and tied in my goals. This was informal prior to the official interview process. Had the opportunity to show off my knowledge, without being asked technical questions

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Northwestern University.

Interview

Very straight forward. Included initial phone call to gauge interest followed by in person interview to gauge ability. They just needed someone who could understand MATLAB code and interpret results coming from the models.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here and how do you think you can help?   1 Answer