Northwestern University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Northwestern University Interview Questions

Updated Oct 17, 2017

2.6

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern University in September 2017.

Interview

I had a first round interview over the phone for a Research Analyst position in a new Lab that Northwestern is starting. At the beginning of the interview they described the three round process. First was a phone/skype intervie, the second would be a stata test, and last would be a 1v1 interview with the professor I would be working under.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern University.

Interview

Easy interview with straightforward questions. I was interviewed by at least three people and then had a follow-up interview with the Hiring Manager. Everyone was friendly and upfront about the responsibilities of the position.

Administrative Assistant/Patient Services Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Evanston, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Evanston, IL) in July 2017.

Interview

I was contacted via email by the manager for phone interview then went to in person interview. Let me start by saying the manager was questionable, the posting was originally listed as Admin Assistant and remained that way for at least a month. She had an in person interview with me and the next day the title of the posting was changed to a PSA, what my resume title was-I was shocked and confused when I saw that change! So, the office manager and the two girls who worked at the check in desk interviewed me.. When interviewing with the manager she acted very nonchalant and rolled her eyes when I mentioned HIPAA, I use to work at one of the best teaching hospitals in the country so the eyes rolling left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. She also had forgotten what she had asked me during the phone interview, which didn't leave a great impression on me as well.
    I then had to interview with the girls who worked a the front desk, they asked the usual questions. They also mentioned how the manager had forgotten to give them my resume, so they had no idea what my background was while speaking to me. They also had pads of paper in their hands that were strategically folded the whole time, so their previous notes didn't show. They also never wrote anything about me the whole time they were speaking to me and didn't bring pens in the room. Why did I say all that, because if you aren't interested in someone just don't call them in for an interview! It was very apparent they had other candidates in mind and they ended up wasting my time. As I left the clinic I knew I didn't get the job and I was happy about it. It was a very un-stimulating work environment.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of going above and beyond for a patient?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern University.

Interview

Located through a recruiter. Initial interview was a phone screening, called back for in person the following week. Met with dept. manager, director and hr director. Received offer the following week.

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern University.

Interview

Apply online. Go to the temp center for an interview. If you are a good fit they send your application to a department that has an opening and then they interview you. Temp center is a good way to get exposed to Northwestern.

Academic Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Chicago, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online and a few days later received an email to set up a phone interview. I will give them kudos for stepping into modern times and allowing candidates to schedule their own interviews online - it makes things so much easier. My phone interview was with the Talent Acquisition Partner, and at the end he told me the next steps and told me he'd let me know either way in the next week or two, and even commented he knows how it feels to hear nothing so I'd be kept in the loop. That was the first week of April, and I didn't hear anything at all until I got the rejection email on 5/31. Obviously I figured out I wasn't moving forward when I didn't hear from him after a couple weeks, but it was disappointing to speak with someone who supposedly "gets it" and sets that expectation, and then disappears.

Interview Questions

• Basic phone screen - tell me about yourself, what's your salary expectation, etc   Answer Question

Regulatory Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The original interview process was intended as 1 panel interview. For my own experience, it was split into a panel and a single 1-on-1 due to the absence of key staff members. Staff is very friendly and open.

Interview Questions

• My past experiences both educational and job related were discussed. One question they did ask me was if I ever disagreed with a superior regarding any matter or decision. The interview itself went well and flowed very casually.   Answer Question

Statistician Interview

Interview

Long, complicated and unclear. I had to wait a long time to hear back after the interview which was needlessly stressful. It seems like there is a real disconnect between HR on campus and the departments that do the hiring.

Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Northwestern University.

Interview

The interview process for research assistants is basically all behavioral. The Principal Investigator of the lab (PI) really just wants to see that you are interested in the work of the lab, and that you're intellectually curious. If you show (or fake) commitment, that's all that you need! They truly just are looking for people thirsty for knowledge, and so it isn't anything to stress over.

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Northwestern University (Chicago, IL).

Interview

It was a standard grad student interview: information session in the morning, interview with 3 PIs in the afternoon, meet with current grad students in the afternoon, hit the town with students at night. The only stressful part is meeting with the PIs, but it's completely dependent on which PIs you get.

Interview Questions

• Draw a neuron and the action potentials along the axon. What happens to the action potentials if you apply tetrodotoxin to the midpoint of the axon?   1 Answer