Ocean State Job Lot Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2.2

1. Featured Interview

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Southwick, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ocean State Job Lot (Southwick, MA) in November 2016.

Interview

Heard back from the company the same day I applied. Interview was less structured with rigid questions like the corporate ones I am used to. More laid back, get to know eachother in a relaxing but welcoming atmosphere. In total the interview lasted about an hour and I left with a good feeling about it and the company as a whole.

Interview Questions

• Can you think of a specific time you had to deal with a difficult team member?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westborough, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ocean State Job Lot (Westborough, MA) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online they called me for an interview, went to the Westboro, MA store. Things went down hill from there...They never even emailed me to let me know I did not get the position.. Would not recommend...

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Windsor Locks, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ocean State Job Lot (Windsor Locks, CT) in May 2017.

Interview

It well. I arrived a half hour early and since his 10 oclock didn't arrive the hiring manager took me in right away! I was asked what responsibilities did my former employer give me? Also what would I do if there was a complaint from a customer? Another point made in the interview was how well do I work with others? Still again what do I value first my personal opinions before someone elses or do I put others first before my concerns? I was asked to give a situation at my former job where if someone calls out, am I the type to stay if asked? In the interview I also was asked why would I want to work here and do I see myself if hired a chance to move up for a higher position? The interview process was straight to the point, very professional and friendly. Didn't have me waiting around like some other interviews I had prior to this one. Job well done to the interviewer!

Interview Questions

• If another candidate who has the same qualifications as me, why should I hire you?   1 Answer

Receiver Interview

Anonymous Employee in Seabrook, NH

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Ocean State Job Lot (Seabrook, NH) in February 2017.

Interview

When I got to the interview I was very pleased, I had the store manager interview me . The process was very well pleasing and it was very familiar to me due to because I am currently a receiver in a different company and so there I am comfortable doing what I do and I was very interested when they offered that position to me with such a great attitude toward things.

Interview Questions

• I was asked if I had any difficult situations at any previous jobs and if so how did I handle them.   1 Answer
    • Can you count ? This is very important to the company especially being on the register and knowing what to give back to the customer in change .   1 Answer

Interview

Questions are strictly from a list and each answer given, has different point values, so it is strictly who scores the best out of a list of candidates. Questions are also based on your previous employment and how the skills transfer to the company.

Interview Questions

• Is it ever okay to question management?   2 Answers

Centralized Recruiting Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Kingstown, RI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ocean State Job Lot (North Kingstown, RI) in January 2017.

Interview

The interview was very relaxed in nature and was very interactive with both people i met with. They gave me a very good understanding of the job and what i would be doing if i did receive the job opportunity.

Interview Questions

• What prior experience do you have in recruiting?   1 Answer

Sales Associate/Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Medway, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Ocean State Job Lot (Medway, MA).

Interview

Interview was awesome and easy the managers were very polite and explained the job description thoroughly. I had to meet with head of hr for that location and the head manager. The interview process took about 1 hour and at the end I had to do a math test to make sure I was capable of handling the register.. the test was a simple 123 mathematics

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orange, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ocean State Job Lot (Orange, CT) in November 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed by the District Manager, Director of HR, and Regional Director. Intimidating at first but they were very nice and made me feel comfortable.Questions were pointed and detailed.

Interview Questions

• What was a typical day at your previous employer as a manager .   1 Answer

Store Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Torrington, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Ocean State Job Lot (Torrington, CT) in October 2016.

Interview

I was called in the early afternoon and set up an interview for the same day. When I walked into the recruiting center I was met by a recruiter who then got the Store Manager. One on one interview with the store manager. Asked basic questions about history and how I've handled situations. Also asked if convicted of a crime or have I ever been arrested. No to both of those.
    Referred to District Manager who advised that the corporate recruiter will contact me to schedule another interview with him.

Update*** After 3 weeks haven't heard back from this company. I guess they aren't looking for tenure, experience and dedication from a high caliber contributor. Not even a no thank you email.

Interview Questions

• If it were between you and another person why should I hire you.   Answer Question

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Valatie, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ocean State Job Lot (Valatie, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

The interview process from the first interview, second interview and job offer was within 3 weeks. I interviewed with the district manager and the second interview was conducted with the regional and HR manager. They were all very nice, answered all my questions and were very professional!! I just received a job offer!!! And I gladly accepted it. They have a very good benefit package as well, and they seem to really care about their employees!!

Interview Questions

• Why would you like to work for the company?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate my salary based on my experience.