Ofcom Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Ofcom Interview Questions

Updated Feb 20, 2017

3.5

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ofcom (Warrington, North West England, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

First was an assessment which was about call listening and choosing the correct catorgries for the calls, then after this was successful I was invited back for an interview. Three people interviewing. All competency questions. Made you feel relaxed. Interviewers were friendly. Enjoyable experience.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of when you have had to explain something technical to someone with no experience, what do Ofcom do and give me an example of something that they have done recently.   Answer Question

Consumer Contact Team Adminisator - Competancy Based Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ofcom (Warrington, North West England, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

After completing an assessment centre, I was invited to an extremely difficult competency based interview. It was with a man and woman and each took turns asking questions. I had to give examples of situations of where I demonstrated a specific competency.

Interview Questions

• Can you give me an example of where you had to example something technical to someone who has never done that before?

What does OFCOM do?

Why do you want to work at OFCOM?

Can you give me an example of where you where concerned about a co-worker?
      Answer Question

Senior Policy Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Ofcom (London, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview was a one hour long competency based interview with a panel of two managers. What was apparent from the interview is that Ofcom is a bastion of snobbery where a person’s ability to perform a job is irrelevant in comparison to their socio-economic class. I even had one interviewer mimicking my Kentish accent. Do not bother applying to Ofcom unless you come from an upper middle class background.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of when you have managed a strategy project?   Answer Question

Income Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ofcom (London, England (UK)) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview process is good, it was competency based. I was interviewed by two representatives, one from HR and finance team. However, getting feedback from them was a bit difficult, had to chase the HR representative constantly.

Ofcom Generalist Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Ofcom (London, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

The day consisted of a one hour interview, 2 hours preparation for a presentation and written exercise, and a 'discussion' on an essay I had written prior to attending the assessment centre.

The interview included 10 competency questions. They were all very similar to one another. The first question, however, was 'what do ofcom do?'. The staff did not provide any feedback and simply moved onto the next question which wasn't very encouraging, nor did it show much enthusiasm.
    The presentation was fairly difficult and 2 hours to prepare was not long given we also had to do a written exercise too. The presentation was about phone signal in the UK and was 5-7 minutes long. The written exercise involved writing a letter to the CEO in preparation for a speech in Parliament.
    The 'discussion' on the essay was definitely not a 'discussion' and more like an interview or an interrogation, including questions, 'why did you write this..'.
    Overall, it wasn't a great experience and felt more like an examination than an assessment centre.

Economist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Ofcom (London, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

The interview took place at their main office in the centre of London and everybody there was extremely friendly and helpful. It was a panel based interview composed of 3 interviewers each asking different style questions i.e. economics related and competency based. When I didn't give a long enough answer, interviewers would prompt me to say more.

Customer Advisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ofcom (London, England (UK)) in November 2015.

Interview

Extremely hard competency and observation based tests for stage one at the offices, after passing a lengthy telephone interview and online tests. Stage two was a personal interview within two managers which included many more tests and questions which were detail intensive.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you felt that conflict or differences were a positive driving force in your organisation. How did handle the conflict to optimise its benefit?   Answer Question

Graduate Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Ofcom (London, England (UK)) in August 2015.

Interview

Process took about 3 weeks,
    You would have to write the matrigma test (quite easy) after you pass this, you have to write an essay of less than 1000 words.
    My essay was on TV white space.
    Next is the assessment centre. When you get there you would initially have 5 minutes to write some quick stuff (mine was abut what you would do if your supervisor: who happens to be the only one who has an idea about your topic, happens to be ill some days before your project is due)
    Next you have your interview with two interviewers, their competency based interviews are a bit strange, their technical based interviews are much better but you need to be prepared for those (you have to have an idea about everything not just hardware).
    After the interview, there was a drafting exercise and presentation (you have 2 hours to prepare both of these).
    You present your presentation to the same interviewers as before then after it, they ask you a bit about your essay you wrote earlier.

Interview Questions

• Q: when and why would you use either of the 2Ghz or 5Ghz spectrum for wifi, if you were to design for an open space, which would you use?   Answer Question

Economist Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Interview

The organisation is always looking for economists, with recruitment being done 2-3 times a year. Interview had a few competency based questions (tell me an example of how you... worked in a team/dealt with a conflict/made your case) but the main ones are professional. Be well prepared and familiar with topics in micro economics. Read some Ofcom consultations online ahead of the interview.

Interview Questions

• What are the risks in getting new competitors into the mail delivery business alongside the royal mail? What solutions would you offer to defend the Royal Mail from becoming unprofitable?   Answer Question
    • What are the disadvantages of letting the free market solely determine competition in the telecom industry? Would it be better to regulate prices instead?   Answer Question
    • Some would say that a monopoly is the reward of increased production efficiency. Would you agree?   Answer Question
    • Do cases of reverse price discriminations decrease market efficiency / social welfare? Do cases of first degree discrimination do that?   Answer Question
    • Should the regulator always oppose monopolies? Why? (Answer: not in the case of natural monopolies). Follow up - define a natural monopoly.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Ofcom does not negotiate salaries for entry level and mid level positions. Take their offer or leave it.

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Ofcom in April 2014.

Interview

The application for the graduate scheme was at the end of December 2013. In February I got sent a Matrigma test to do online - this is a non-verbal reasoning test, which revolves around pattern recognition. I would advise you to try the practice inductive reasoning test that you can get on the SHL website. Also, questions at the beginning of the test are a lot easier than the questions towards the end, so try to do the first few questions as fast as possible

Later in February we were asked to write an essay titled: ‘In the internet age where you can access any content at any time, the regulation of television and radio content is no longer possible, desirable or realistic.’ We had to discuss this in 1,000 words. I was questions on the content of this essay in the assessment centre (I'll come to this later). I had about 2 weeks to write the essay.

In April I attended an assessment day, which lasted from around about 9.30am to 3.30pm. It consisted of a competency interview with two ofcom staff. This was followed by a written exercise. A lunch break (which included a presentation from HR, detailing a bit more about Ofcom does and what the graduate scheme would be like) Then a presentation exercise before another two Ofcom staff members.

The interview was filled with fairly standard competency questions. It is a quite a dry interview session, since all the interviewers do (who are not HR, but Ofcom staff from a variety of different departments) is ask questions - they will not ask follow up question whilst you answer and they will not provide any clarification on the questions - they simply take down your answer. Oddly, I was not directly asked any general questions such as why I want to work for Ofcom or what skills/experiences I have that make me suitable for working at Ofcom. However, it did begin with "what does Ofcom do?" - which I really should have prepared more for this... so I would advise you are ready to list Ofcom's key responsibilities and departments... also I believe that this is the opportunity to explain why you want to work for Ofcom and why you would be good at it. Other questions were assessing various skills and required that you answer with reference to your past experiences - questions such as "outline a time when you had to resolve a conflict", "say a time when you had to work as a team to overcome a challenge", "when have you had to persuade a team member to change their mind"... etc..

After that we where given 2 hours to handle two exercises - it was our responsibility to use time appropriately.

There was a written exercise that had to be handed in at the end of the session. This involved reading an official Ofcom report (about 4 pages) on nuisance phone calls as well as a report produced by an academic from the LSE (about 10 or 12 pages). The scenario was that we needed to summarise the key facts on the subject for a head of department who is facing a parliamentary select committee, explain what nuisance calls are, what ofcom is doing about and what else ofcom could do in the future. We were told that this summary should not exceed 2 sides on handwritten A4.

We also had to write a list of question/topics that we would research into further, in order to gain information that would assist the head in the parliamentary select committee meeting.

I decided to allocate a bit over an hour to the two written exercises. I probably spent a about 5 to 7 minutes on the list of questions part. I spent the rest of the time on the presentation. We had to read some papers on the prevalence of mobile phone signal throughout the UK. The presentation that you prepare is to last only 5 minutes (which is really short, considering the amount of information), you are then questioned on the report in detail, for about 15 minutes. I think we had to say what ofcom can do and has done to expand telephone signal throughout the UK (e.g. conditions attached to licences, gathering and presenting relevant data to national and local governments)

It is also good to read up on any major deals/mergers/licence-awards that have occurred in the telecommunications industry in the past 6 months, so you can refer to them in order to support your arguments. Also, a bit of research to have a small passing knowledge of competition policy and spectrum would not hurt.

In the second part of the presentation I was asked to speak about my 1000 word essay on the internet age... essentially you are asked to succinctly summarise your key arguments as outline in the essay... then you are questioned and challenged on various points that you have made in the essay. Unlike the first interview, the presentation assessment is highly conversational.

I had mixed feelings about how I did on the assessment day... but I got an offer, which I accepted, so I will start on the graduate scheme in a few months.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

As it is a graduate scheme, there was no negotiation process... it was simply a matter of accepting the salary and the perks that they listed on the website. That said the pension and list of optional benefits look fairly impressive