Ofcom Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 11, 2017

3.6

Graduate Economist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ofcom (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Two interviews - one for competency and one economics based. Competency interview was very dry - they didn't ask any follow up questions just noting down what you said. Economics interview was more interesting with some quite tough questions. They also discuss with you your essay from the previous stage.

Graduate Economist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ofcom (London, England (UK)) in July 2017.

Interview

After sending in my application, I was successful and was then asked to write an essay on price discrimination. After this, I was successful and was invited to an assessment centre, where there were 18 candidates on the day.

Assessment centre:
    The day started in the morning where we were briefed that it was going to be a difficult day, but even so, the recruiters put us all at ease. The first task was a 5-minute exercise where we had to outline as many actions to a university-based scenario where you needed to meet with your dissertation supervisor but they were away.

Next, was into a competency and economics-based interview with two economists (one of mine was a director). In the competency section, we were told that the interviewers would not ask follow-up questions 'to create a level playing field' among all candidates. Areas they focus on include resolving conflict, making difficult decisions and showing leadership. They then asked a series of economics-based questions, where they did ask follow-up questions. These centre around the concept of market failure and include a question highlighting why Ofcom charge phone companies for radio-spectrum in auctions. Pretty straight forward to answer if you have a very good grasp of basic microeconomics and can give a 'logical chain of reasoning', even if your answer is wrong.

Next, was perhaps the most difficult part. We were given two hours to prepare a written briefing to the CEO on broadband speed advertising and a 5-minute presentation on actions that Ofcom should be taking in a highlighted issue (I forget what the issues were). I intended to split my time 50/50 but the written brief took longer than I thought. As well as writing the brief, we also had to prepare further questions for research, as if this was being undertaken at Ofcom in real terms.

We then had to present our presentations to a new board of two economists (again, I had a director as an interviewer). After my 5-minute presentation, I was asked follow up questions, based on the underlying economic arguments of the issue in my presentation. Immediately after this, I was asked several follow-up questions based on my price discrimination that I originally applied with. Again, these challenged the economic principals that I had written about, and I was asked to clarify quite a few points, minor and major.

4 days later than the 7 days they said, I was sent a rejection email and asked me if I wanted feedback.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to take a difficult decision that was not in anyone's interest.   Answer Question

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ofcom (London, England (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Few competency questions, like using your initiative is the past and theory questions related to the internship role and Ofcom. Interview lasted about an hour and I was interviewed by 2 people

Economist Graduate Scheme Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ofcom in April 2017.

Interview

Did a logical online test, then an essay on price discrimination. Finally, the assessment centre.
    The assessment centre consisted of two 2:1 interviews, one presentation and one test where they gave us many documents and we had to write a letter to the CEO explaining the problem and suggesting solutions.
    Overall positive experience. I think I got asked some tricky questions in the interviews and the difficult part of the two tasks was time management since you have two hours to prepare both of them.
    After two weeks they sent me an email where they rejected me but gave me NO feedback, even though I asked for it.

Interview Questions

• why ofcom? various questions on basics of microeconomics.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ofcom (Warrington, North West England, England (UK)) in January 2017.

Interview

First was an assessment which was about call listening and choosing the correct catorgries for the calls, then after this was successful I was invited back for an interview. Three people interviewing. All competency questions. Made you feel relaxed. Interviewers were friendly. Enjoyable experience.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of when you have had to explain something technical to someone with no experience, what do Ofcom do and give me an example of something that they have done recently.   Answer Question

Consumer Contact Team Adminisator - Competancy Based Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Warrington, North West England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ofcom (Warrington, North West England, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

After completing an assessment centre, I was invited to an extremely difficult competency based interview. It was with a man and woman and each took turns asking questions. I had to give examples of situations of where I demonstrated a specific competency.

Interview Questions

• Can you give me an example of where you had to example something technical to someone who has never done that before?

What does OFCOM do?

Why do you want to work at OFCOM?

Can you give me an example of where you where concerned about a co-worker?   Answer Question

Senior Policy Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Ofcom (London, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview was a one hour long competency based interview with a panel of two managers. What was apparent from the interview is that Ofcom is a bastion of snobbery where a person’s ability to perform a job is irrelevant in comparison to their socio-economic class. I even had one interviewer mimicking my Kentish accent. Do not bother applying to Ofcom unless you come from an upper middle class background.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of when you have managed a strategy project?   Answer Question

Income Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ofcom (London, England (UK)) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview process is good, it was competency based. I was interviewed by two representatives, one from HR and finance team. However, getting feedback from them was a bit difficult, had to chase the HR representative constantly.

Ofcom Generalist Graduate Scheme Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Ofcom (London, England (UK)) in April 2016.

Interview

The day consisted of a one hour interview, 2 hours preparation for a presentation and written exercise, and a 'discussion' on an essay I had written prior to attending the assessment centre.

The interview included 10 competency questions. They were all very similar to one another. The first question, however, was 'what do ofcom do?'. The staff did not provide any feedback and simply moved onto the next question which wasn't very encouraging, nor did it show much enthusiasm.
    The presentation was fairly difficult and 2 hours to prepare was not long given we also had to do a written exercise too. The presentation was about phone signal in the UK and was 5-7 minutes long. The written exercise involved writing a letter to the CEO in preparation for a speech in Parliament.
    The 'discussion' on the essay was definitely not a 'discussion' and more like an interview or an interrogation, including questions, 'why did you write this..'.
    Overall, it wasn't a great experience and felt more like an examination than an assessment centre.

Economist Interview

Application

Interview

Applied online, three essay questions: In your own words why are you attracted to working at Ofcom?, What unique offering do you bring to Ofcom? and What are the key challenges for Ofcom during the next 12 months? and heard back 4 months after closing date. The application shut in January and opened in October and then I heard back in April. Was given three weeks notice for the interview. Tips would be to look at Ofcoms recent consultations, make sure you have a very good knowledge of micro topics and can apply them to work that Ofcom does.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself and why you want to work for Ofcom   1 Answer
    • How does a monopoly effect the market and isit a good thing?   1 Answer
    • What is special about the BBC and channel 4?   1 Answer
    • What is your greatest achievement to date?   1 Answer
    • How do negative externalities affect the third party?   1 Answer