OpenDNS Interview Questions | Glassdoor

OpenDNS Interview Questions

Updated Jan 31, 2017

User Experience Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at OpenDNS in April 2016.

Interview

Very good company but poor 'post-interview' process. I interviewed for over 3 rounds. The interview sessions were coordinated really well and the interviewers were pleasant throughout. But after attending all these rounds the people at the company suddenly became silent and stopped communicating with me. I even emailed them twice to check in on the status but no response. 2 weeks later, they sent me one of those template emails which stated that they were not moving forward with my application. This is very unprofessional. After so many rounds, I am fair in expecting at least a phone call or personal email with feedback. The lead designer didn't provide any feedback even though I emailed him for it. Overall, it all ended poorly even though I had a lot of respect for this company's hiring process. I am not complaining because I didn't land an offer, but because as a job applicant I was neglected towards the end. Bitter experience towards the end for me. PLEASE TREAT ALL YOUR JOB APPLICANTS EQUALLY.

User Experience Product Design Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at OpenDNS (San Francisco, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

The hiring manager happened to be in town, so we met in person rather than doing extended phonescreening. It was a nice, friendly conversation in which we learned a lot about each other. Then I moved on to the next step, which was a WebEx video interview in which I shared more information about my portfolio. They decided to pursue someone with enterprise and security experience, but it was a a great overall interview process. Very positive.

Interview Questions

• It was more of a conversation without notes than a list of questions. I got asked questions that delved into my portfolio during the video interview.   Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at OpenDNS (San Francisco, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

The process followed at OpenDNS was very professional. A recruiter got in touch and scheduled an initial round where I spoke to the head of UX Design at OpenDNS. After which I had a portfolio round with the head of UX and another lead designer.

After the first two rounds, was another round where I had a WebEx call with three designers and two product managers. This was a 3 hour WebEx interview with about 30 minutes break in-between.

I had informed the head of UX that I had two other competing offers to which I had a deadline approaching, and the team took it very seriously. They expedited the process and brought me on-site.

Just before the on-site I was presented with a design challenge which I had to present on the day of the interview. The on-site interview comprised of three 1-1 interviews with product managers and one presentation to a panel of designers and product managers.

Overall the interview experience was great and I am super excited to be joining the team.

Interview Questions

• What design considerations to be made when you are designing a security application?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at OpenDNS in February 2016.

Interview

Company really likes to hire through referrals. Got in touch with head of people ops, and a phone screen was scheduled within a few days. Phone screen was a lot of just learning about the team that I would be interning on and understanding their role within the company. Interviewer asked one question that was pretty straightforward. Next was an onsite interview, I met with the technical lead and engineering manager on my team. Finally a chat with hiring manager over the phone to discuss salary/the offer. Accommodating through the whole process!

Interview Questions

• Explain mapreduce in context of data that the team deals with

Question to just prove coding/google skills - write a script to sort an input file alphabetically, then remove duplicates. I was able to use any language and was "absolutely more than welcome to use Google"

Questions about details regarding the projects on my resume
      Answer Question

Intern Interview

Interview

Interview was Easy. Just asked about my projects done so far. I explained projects I did. Then Hiring Manager briefed about course of work expected. Overall nice experience. Review resume properly as they will ask mostly from topics mentioned in resume

Senior Digital Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at OpenDNS (San Francisco, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

Applied and was contacted by their recruiter within a day. I had a Skype interview with her. She was really nice and the interview went well. I moved on to the internal recruiter for a phone interview. She seemed like she was in a hurry and didn't want to be interviewing me. I requested feedback from the recruiter as I knew she wasn't interested in me. She said they were looking for someone more design focused. (It wasn't mentioned in the job description, so I'm not sure how honest this was.)

Interview Questions

• What are you looking for in your next position?   1 Answer

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at OpenDNS.

Interview

Interview process in total took a week and a half. 3 phone interviews and 1 in-person interview with 4 members of the sales team. The hiring manager was amazingly helpful with prepping me for each phone and in-person interview. Be ready for a mock sales call as one of the phone interviews. Great experience.

Software Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at OpenDNS (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Interview involved an HR phone screening that was very professional, best of any companies I've worked with thus far. Then manager of the team I was applying for called and we discussed the team, culture, what they were looking for and they asked questions about my background and experience. As well as questions about testing methodology, tools, programming experience and knowledge about databases and a few little problem solving questions to see how I think. The in person involved the direct team members and one remote. They made me feel comfortable and ask questions at any stage, which I did. I always tried to clarify things before responding. I was asked to brainstorm some prior and current challenges they've been having. I was asked how to test an email system, how to build and test a dns white/black lister. REST, API and thought process questions mostly. Followed up by a programming exercise that had an open ended deadline to see how fast you can complete and document it. Finally, the team code reviews it before making their final call.

Overall a great experience at a great company.

They highly encourage to hire through referrals, so that might help you if you know someone here. It's honestly the best place I've ever worked and I enjoy every minute of it.

Interview Questions

• How might I always ensure that a teardown method is always called no matter where the fails?   Answer Question

Marketing Position Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at OpenDNS (San Francisco, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

They were pretty communicative as far as next steps. Spoke with a recruiter, had a phone screening, and came in a week later. I met with 3 people, which lasted about an hour in a half. The first two people I met with were informative and the interview was more of a dialogue. The last person I met with had that, "I work in tech so I am better and smarter than you" mentality--not cool. He was completely dismissive, seems like the type of interviewer who makes a decision the moment he sees you. I get it, being a culture fit is important, but not even taking a moment to go over my background seems a bit off. The office is great, and the people overall seem down to earth, other than a couple that I encountered. Not too sure if it is as humble as an environment as the tried to claim though.

Sales Development Representative Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at OpenDNS in December 2014.

Interview

I heard about OpenDNS through a family friend, and secured an initial phone screening with an in-house recruiter. Then did a phone interview with the hiring manager and was asked to do a mock sales call with an SDR to prove I had good phone presence. Made it through all three and was invited onsite to do a face-to-face interview. The onsite interview is suppose to be with four people, but only three were there. I was suppose to speak with the fourth on the phone when back from a trip, but was declined that I would move forward, before I got the chance.

The interview was not difficult, if you come prepared, some questions were behavioral, some technical about the product, just to make sure you know the basics enough to sell it.