OpenDNS Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
OpenDNS Founder & CEO David Ulevitch
David Ulevitch

Pros
  • My manager respects my work life balance but I work really hard when I am here and I feel appreciated (in 8 reviews)

• Fast-growing company backed by the best VCs filled with smart people in all parts of the company (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Still some growing pains with sales operations (in 5 reviews)

• Since the Cisco acquisition, we've been transforming from a bottom-up company to a top-down (in 3 reviews)

"Great Company with Strong Leadership"

I worked at OpenDNS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome people, great office and location, great work life balance, leadership.

Cons

No South bay office. No included go pass for caltrain.

2. "Good engineers, but Cisco acquisition is hurting"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenDNS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Great engineers. Learned a lot working here. Everyone seems enthusiastic about our work.
    * Super laid-back culture. Usually no deadlines, no strict development processes.
    * Benefits are pretty great. Top-notch health insurance, large bonuses twice a year.

Cons

* Since the Cisco acquisition, we've been transforming from a bottom-up company to a top-down. More and more often, it seems upper management makes seemingly arbitrary decisions that get handed down like decrees, with no input from engineers, and no opportunity to object. Seems like lots of engineers are getting fed up and leaving because of it.
    * Pay isn't really competitive at all
    * We seem to have a lot of trouble hiring people, probably in large part because of the pay

Advice to Management

* Cisco bought us because we did security better than them. Stop making decisions for us. Value feedback from your engineers.
    * You need to pay your engineers what they're worth

3. "Overall Great Experience"

Current Employee - Renewals Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Renewals Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenDNS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Company
    Great Product
    Great People
    Great Opportunities
    Beautiful Office

Cons

There has been some changes with the Cisco Acquisition and with that some of the old culture is gone. Their motto of "one team one dream" began to fade more and more as work loads and goals began to grow greatly.

5. "Good Overall"

Pros

Some of the most intelligent, hardworking people I've met in my career. Great office culture, tight knit community, and overall sense of humor in an otherwise bland and serious industry. A CEO that really cares, shows his face around the office, is involved in the day to day of the company.

Cons

An overall sense of uncertainty, coming from a lack of direction and communication from above. Young, inexperienced managers that have earned their position on seniority > merit. Different departments were often at odds with one another due to a lack of clear, consistent communication.

Advice to Management

More training and development for employees.

6. "Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OpenDNS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very smart people, great leadership, interesting work, in a good environment and location. Free company ski trips every year!

Cons

The usual growing pains of a startup, since acquired by a larger company.

Advice to Management

none

"Almost, not quite"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at OpenDNS (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, people, office. You will work alongside some talented, quirky, intelligent people here. Best in class product that you can proudly stand behind. Not a culture of one-upsmanship, very "one team" mentality. Waffles on Wednesdays.

Cons

Base pay much lower than similar roles at other companies. Sales org still working out lots of process kinks. Transitional time with the Cisco acquisition. Lack of clarity with org roadmap and young inexperienced managers = difficult making a future for myself here.

Advice to Management

Hiring more experienced managers or providing better training for first time managers would improve this overall gripe people share.

"Great place to work"

Pros

All hands, family culture. Great leadership, feel like they actually care. Great benefits and flexible working schedule. Potential career growth opportunity since being acquired by Cisco.

Cons

There has been some uncertainty since being acquired by Cisco. Growing pains of switching over to their systems.

9. "Intern"

Pros

Good Company. Great Staff . Manager was good

Cons

Location is in San Francisco

"An absolutely amazing security company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The thing I loved most about OpenDNS is that literally everything you are doing is groundbreaking. This isn't the place for people who want to build yet another cat photo sharing site, but for people who want to advance the state of the art in technology. Inventors and doers will feel right at home here.

Cons

This isn't a place to phone it in. You need to be dedicated and believe in making the internet a better place.

"If I could design the perfect place to work, this would be it."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at OpenDNS full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If I were to design the perfect place to work, I'd design OpenDNS.

The company offers everything, from challenging work that'll impact tens of millions of end users around the world, to a supportive, team-based culture where you can grow professionally and learn.

People talk a lot about the importance of building a mission-driven organization. OpenDNS epitomizes it. Decisions are made with the weight of their positive effect on the Internet. It feels good to be a part of OpenDNS, and we're proud of the work we do.

Cons

The closest thing to a con is the speed at which we're growing (fast!). It can create challenges.

Advice to Management

Stay the course!