Openreach Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Openreach Interview Questions

Updated Jul 17, 2017

3.1

Field Engineer Trainee Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Openreach in July 2017.

Interview

Sent in CV, then invited to do an online test which I had an immediate response saying I passed. Then a link for a video interview which I prepared well for and also passed that. Was then sent an email saying I would hear shortly regarding an assessment centre. 8 days later an email saying thanks for the application but all the positions have now been filled in my area. What a waste of time.

Trainee Openreach Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Openreach (Bristol, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

I attended a half day assessment which consisted of an initial 40 min presentation about a career at Openreach followed by 1. A maths test 2. An english test 3. Suitability Interview 4. Scenario based interview 5. Practical test. These can be in any order depending on when you are called in the group of 15 or so.

I'll run through each briefly. First, the maths test. This is a 40 minute test and is nothing to get too worried about. I did zero preparation and haven't used my maths in at least 10 years. My advice is not to worry about when others in the group finish - just keep an eye on the clock and go at your own pace. largely you will be adding, subtracting, dividing and working with fractions and percentages. Fairly basic stuff. Next for me was the english test - as you'd expect - it tests spelling, ability to construct sentences and punctuation/grammar. Next up for me was an interview. The first interview for me was the suitability interview. Do yourself a favour here and go in armed with a very good understanding of Openreach's business and any recent news coverage about them. Also, be clear on why you want to work for them. Fourthly for me was a scenario based interview. I found this tough as the interviewer gave nothing away - just make sure you have an understanding of why health and safety is important in a job like this and be prepared for zero body language feedback from an interviewer at some point - accept that it doesn't mean your answers are bad and try to just focus on what you are being asked. Finally, I had the practical skills assessment which is the plug test. I'd never used the tools before or wired a plug in this way but just listen to the briefing and follow the written instructions to the letter. Don't rush it as there's loads of time. My biggest problem here was I realised as soon as I started my hands were shaking but I chilled out and found the exercise perfectly achievable within the time.

So, my advice is take each element one at a time, don't compete against others to get things done first - just go at your own pace. Do lots of research and wear a smart suit if you have one otherwise a smart shirt and tie. The assessment process is friendly but impersonal and I left feeling I could have just as easily failed the session as have passed (as did pretty much everyone else).

You are supposed to hear back within 5 working days. If you don't - make sure you chase them up as I did on the fifth day - they thought they had already e-mailed me on day three but they hadn't. So if you don't hear back - whatever you do, don't assume you've failed!

Good luck!

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Openreach?   1 Answer

Customer Service Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bristol, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Openreach (Bristol, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Started off applying online, then got interviewed via webcam, then invited to assessment centre which took place 65 miles from my home (a bit of a distance) here I took a maths and English assessment, colour blindness test, practical assessment & 2 separate interviews.
    While process took 3 weeks, now I have to wait until July to start my training.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Openreach (London, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

Invited to conduct an automated video interview which was a very unpleasant experience - a large countdown timer gives you minutes to answer a question while you awkwardly see yourself on screen being recorded. Completely impersonal and gave me a negative view of Openreach - they couldn't even be bothered to have a phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time that you built a high performing team   Answer Question

Trainee Openreach Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sevenoaks, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Openreach (Sevenoaks, England (UK)) in June 2017.

Interview

I did the initial application and then done the video interview which was fine. I then went to the assessment centre which consisted of a maths and english test on a laptop. Then there were two interviews, capability and suitability. After that we done the wiring of a plug practical which was pretty straightward. I found the interviews quite unprofessional with all the banter (swearing) which threw me at stages but also quite dismissive. I was told on numerous occassions that my employment history was not similar to that of which I was applying for - I knew this and was the reason I applied for the trainee position and not the experienced positions.

At this stage I could tell that they didnt think I was right for the position but there was no subtlety about it.

I travelled quite a distance to reach this assessment centre but was quite disappointed overall by the whole experience. Also, make sure you take a bottle of water to drink as it is quite a long process and will not be offered anything.

Hopefully you may get more professional interviewers but personally feel like I dodged a bullet!

Trainee Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aviemore, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Openreach (Aviemore, Scotland (UK)).

Interview

Long day of different activities starting with a presentation given by the area manager, two interviews, two assessments and wiring a plug. Overall quite straightforward and friendly interviewers. Two openreach engineer's were there to answer questions about the job

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No, the job offer they give you is fixed and the role is non negotiable.

Openreach Trainee Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Perth, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Openreach (Perth, Scotland (UK)) in May 2017.

Interview

Professional, slick and I was impressed. Everyone very helpful.

You wait for a while at some stages but as it's a massive programme but you'd expect that.

I applied in March 2017. It was mostly a slick automated process you went though as / if you passed each stage. Followed just what it said on the recruitment website.

After application it moved pretty quickly through to an online test (Situation Strengths Test - Fancy way of saying a test to see what you might be good at and what kind of attitudes towards things you have. Read up about the role and BT / Openreach before you do application / any tests).

After online sift it moved to online interview. That was neat. You simply record your response to a few questions. It was well run and I like it better than face to face. You get auto updates to say how you are doing.

About 10 days after online interview I was invited to an assessment centre.

Centre was well run and people were nice. Had some new engineers there to chat between the activities. That was useful. It was exactly what they tell you it is. No surprises. Presentation, Interviews, Practical.
    Practice wiring a plug a few times if you've not done it before much.

Very impressed that I found out success the next day! Delighted I got it.

Impressed how well it all went. I thought it was slick.

Interview Questions

• Can't recall but just what you'd expect. Why do you want the job? What is your strength? What is customer service? Etc. Not exactly those but like them.   1 Answer

Trainee Openreach Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Openreach (Leeds, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Initially the process was very quick, Applied online, was sent a link for an online assessment which I completed. Very soon I got sent a link to do an online webcam interview but this was automated so wasn't speaking to anyone just answering the 3-4 questions that were presented on screen. Then there was a wait to find out if I was successful. I then got an email to say that I had passed the first parts but that due to the amount of applications they needed to reassess everyone. Eventually I got an email saying that I had progressed to the Assessment centre which would be in Leeds. I accepted and was sent a further email stating address etc and dress code is smart casual, trousers and shirt. No mention of a tie but I would recommend you wear one and be as smart as you can.

On the day I had to travel over 100 mile to Leeds, then find parking which actually cost me £11 for the day however there is a park and ride service that apparently only costs £3. There were 15 of us in the afternoon session and the morning session had about the same number of people as we saw them leaving. First we had a presentation where we were told that there was a position for everyone so that we were not competing for the same positions. We then were split up, some went for interviews while others went for the assessments. English and Maths were checked via online tests. These weren't too challenging but they weren't simple either.

Then we swapped over for interviews etc. There were two interviews one was a general give me an example of a time when... and the other was more based around health and safety and risk assessments etc.

Next was the practical, wiring a 3 pin plug. Basic instructions provided and about 6-7 tools and a pair of safety goggles. before you start pop the goggles on as it is a health and safety requirement. you a re not told this but it is on the instructions but near the end so read through everything first before you start even if you can wire a plug with your eyes closed. At the very end is a colour blind test, just identifying/locating coloured pairs of wires.

The day was long but didn't seem long. you were rushed from place to place but then there was sitting around and waiting. no food was provided but there was a canteen, and a tap for water if you needed it.

After all of this though and after being told that there were positions for us all, I was not offered a job, and received an email stating that " Hiring the right individuals for our business and our customers is key and we use these activities to give us some insight into how people will perform through our challenging training period, and ultimate success in the role. We have high standards and expectations from these days and look for people to meet those across all activities".

I am trying to request feedback which we were told to do so if we failed but it came from a 'no reply' email address!

Interview Questions

• What your thought on why we do a risk assessment?   Answer Question
    • Tell me of a time when you have made a change at work which improved things for people?   Answer Question
    • How do you handle change?   Answer Question
    • What would you do if something was changed but you didn't agree with it?   Answer Question

Openreach Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Openreach (London, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

I was invite to attend the assessment day, it says smart/casual but wear a suit. Some turned up wearing t-shirts and the look on the faces of the interviews were priceless. They may as well have just gone home.
    15 of us had a briefing about the job then we were split. I went for 2 interviews.
    First interview had questions about a time I was proud of something I had accomplished (doesn't have to be work related). Then a few others about when i had dealt with customers.
    Second was all about health and safety and how I would go about doing a job right from the start which basically meant doing a risk assessment and then going from there. Just keep saying safety in every sentence and you will be fine.
    Next they had us wiring a standard 13 amp plug in a group while being watched by the examiner. Read the sheet right to the end before starting! He wants to make sure you can follow instructions. Nothing to trip you but just do it. You have 20 mins so take your time.
    Next was a colour blind test. Handed me a network cable with about 20 pairs of wires and you had to find the correct ones. If your not sure ask because the cable I had had been handle by 100's and the colours had faded so just prove you know what colours what but speak up. He was quiet happy when I said "you want orange and white but this could be brown because its so dirty and faded."
    Finally the maths and English test. They ain't really exams but are there to test your level. Nothing complicated, maths had simple things from 0.25 as a fraction so 1/4, to 2 columns and saying which is higher by adding up then and seeing the difference. You can use the calculator on screen for most and you get paper to write on.
    The English exam had me dragging and dropping sentences into the correct order, adding punctuation and changing letter to capitals where needed. Also a story about someone and then pick statements out about the story. eg a few paragraphs on little Timmy being a sports nut then select the appropriate answer from 4 : Timmy likes sport, Timmy is an pilot, Timmy defends the world from giant rabbits and Timmy once broke into the white house and stole all the presidents left shoes.
    You get 40 mins for both so relax.
    After that they said thanks and we left.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a skill have you achieved that you are proud off   Answer Question

Openreach Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Southampton, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Openreach (Southampton, England (UK)) in April 2017.

Interview

Long interview process however effective and you feel you are achieving every step of the way. Firstly filled in an application online. Next a test online followed by a video interview with an automated system. After a few weeks I received a phone call inviting me to an assessment centre in Southampton. The day was very long but seemed to pass quickly. Filled with a short slide show, interviews, math and English test and how to wire a plug test. Only down side is no drinks were offered and we spent 4 hours there.