Openreach Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Clive Selley

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Very focussed company that is now starting to focus on the customer, there are lots of opportunities to advance on the company (in 3 reviews)

• There is potential for good work life balance if you want to only work 9 (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management don't care about field engineers and are not willing to change for better ideas (in 4 reviews)

• Absolutely no career progression at least in my area unless of course you are hopeless or incapable at doing your job (in 3 reviews)

1. "Humiliating experience"

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Preston, North West England, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Preston, North West England, England (UK)

I worked at Openreach full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pension and shares benefits.paid leave

Cons

Aggresive bullying and out of touch management set up.

Advice to Management

Have a go at treating your workforce with even the slightest bit of respect.
    The way I was treated during a lot of my time with the company was appalling.
    The 'Performance management'system you introduced with the full blessing of the pathetic Cwu union,was the green light to dismiss a raft of experienced and valuable engineers - as in my case.
    The tier 1 and 2 managers I had to deal with where arrogant, out of touch odious bullies.I failed a spurious performance target and failed it by a margin,so I had my contract with openreach terminated.
    Yes after 3 and half decades with the company.
    My advice to you is to get real and treat your work force with respect and dignity, not make them I'll with unbearable stress and pressure!! Not much to ask for surely.

2. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Hartlepool, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Hartlepool, England (UK)

I have been working at Openreach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, Pension, Broadband Perks,BT Shares, Employee cheap discounts such as life assurance, critical illness, good camaraderie, skill progression

Cons

Some managers should not be in their positions. This is a great job to be in, just wish a minority of managers would put the effort in.

Advice to Management

There are a few Regional Team managers (most are great) who would rather watch vehicle trackers from their office and not come out to see their Team and man manage. Ex Army so I believe respect is earned a good manager is a good Team. The very Senior management are great and communicate well their views and are passionate about what they do and run the Company well.

3. "Very professional"

Current Employee - Customer Service Engineer in Merthyr Tydfil, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Engineer in Merthyr Tydfil, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Openreach full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of employee bonuses such as works van, free BT sport and best internet in your area as well as free BT TV

Cons

So far I have not come across any cons working for this company, job is a job for life so make sure to get stuck in

4. "Ok company"

Pros

Really friendly staff. Commission bonus is realistic

Cons

my training was very different to being on the floor. Manager was unrealistic and money grabbing

Advice to Management

Communicate more with floor managers and training staff. To be told one thing by one person then something completely different on floor is confusing and pointless of training in the first place

5. "Service Delivery"

Pros

Flexible environment, diversity, well looked after, great culture

Cons

Pay is not great, no bonus and luck of progress

Advice to Management

Too many changes to management

6. "Challenging environment but feels secure."

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Openreach full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Job security
    Opportunities for development
    Good benefits
    Generous pension scheme
    The engineers are the driving force of the business and can sometimes really surprise you with their passion and drive.

Cons

Multiple departments don't integrate as well as they could/should.
    Do not hold contractors to account when delivering poor service to the business.
    Work life balance can be poor in some areas of the business.
    Processes can get in the way of service delivery (this is getting better however)

Advice to Management

Continue removing the sometimes archaic processes that prevent service delivery.
    Streamline departments so that their targets are in line with other stakeholders in the business.

7. "Good Job"

Pros

great salary and training is top quality

Cons

pressure with job times and productivity

8. "stable good pay perks independent working"

Former Employee - Telecommunications Field Engineer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Telecommunications Field Engineer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Openreach full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

independent be out and about good pay perks like free broadband vision pension good automated leave booking vehicle fuel tools training free accomodation at training

Cons

weather outdoors climbing ladders poles customer interactions at times old network problems not being updates. excrement falls down the chain.

"Telecommunications Engineer"

Current Employee - Engineer in Birmingham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Birmingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Openreach full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The job is secure and has a good salary with decent holiday and benefits. Colleagues are friendly and will help. Good fleet of vehicles.

Cons

Awfully trained management and leadership with no clear direction. I find that there is too much emphasis on the stats which has created a culture of fear both in the management and the engineer. Depending on the manager there can be micromanagement causing fear. Very disjointed communication and lack of training available. Not clear where a lot of the budget is spent and excuses are made. Job satisfaction depends on your manager and how your treated.

Advice to Management

Invest in people. Stop the blame culture and take ownership for under investment in the certain areas of the network. Try and promote experienced engineers into jobs which can pass their skills to inexperienced engineers and promote a more teamwork orientated atmosphere.

"Good company, lacking training"

Current Employee - Graduate in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Graduate in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Openreach full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good salary and benefits
    Great exposure to senior management

Cons

After a few weeks training thrown into the deep end with no real follow-up training for new projects

Advice to Management

Provide longer training for the grads when it comes to data analysis and programming.