Oxford University Press Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Oxford University Press Interview Questions

Updated Feb 13, 2017

2.7

Associate Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University Press.

Interview

Three phone interviews followed by face to face interview with two hiring managers and Human Resources manager. Conversational type interview. Whole process took about two weeks. Good organization, good follow through.

Editorial Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Oxford University Press (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online, and received a phone call in under a week. The phone call lasted about 20 minutes, and then they said they asked if I would be willing to come into the office. The next week I went in for an in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Could I fully commit to the allotted time for the internship?   1 Answer

Journals Assistant Production Editor Interview

Interview

Very odd interview process. Interviewed by 3 people in the office with someone from the UK joining via conference phone. UK interviewer was really aggressive, trying to catch me out for contradicting myself. Questions were vague and didn't have much to do with the job. The people in the office were nice, but the whole thing felt very unorganized.

Had to do a copyediting test that they graded in front of me.

Took them a long time (a month or two) to get back to me with a decision.

Interview Questions

I had already taken another job. Also, the office culture seemed really uptight, not my style.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Oxford University Press (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

It was very friendly and asked all the traditional questions: what are you strengths and weaknesses, describe your past experiences, what you're learning at school, etc. It was a panel interview where I was asked questions by three members of the team that I would later join.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Oxford University Press (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

The editor who interviewed me spoke a lot about what he does at the company and what I would expect out of a career trajectory. Asked very few specific 'interview' questions, mostly inquired about my personal resume and sales experience.

Application

Interview

Basic interview process. Questions about my qualifications, qualities, and what I could contribute to the team. Interviewed with HR as well as a member of the Editorial team, both positive experiences. Quick turnaround between submission of application and being contacted by the company. Additionally received a phone call notifying me of the filling of the position, so I wasn't sitting around for an extended period of time waiting to see what came of the interview.

Production Editor Interview

Interview

First question you should ask the OUP interviewer: Did you read my salary requirements?

Rewind to 25 years ago. I interviewed with the same company in the same location. I filled out the paper application, including salary requirements. Was called for a phone interview. Was asked in for a face-to-face interview at the end of which the hiring manager said, "We'd love to have you work with us. We're prepared to offer you $16,000 per year."

My response, "But I'm currently making $21,000 per year and I'd like to make more than that."

His follow up, "Well we're offering $16,000. So when would you like to start?"

Fast forward to today. I applied online, including salary requirements. Was called for a phone interview. Spent 30 minutes on the telephone with an HR representative before she said, "I haven't looked at your salary requirements." The best she could offer was 50% of what I submitted.

Why would ANYONE work for a company this obtuse?

Interview Questions

• What kind of work environment do you like?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Interview

Basic questions, concerned with specific industry experience. They were concerned with ability to be a team player as well as your desire to work in the publishing industry (what brought you here, where do you see yourself being most successful, why OUP, etc.).

Senior Development Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Oxford University Press (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

The process began with an HR interview followed by meeting with a manager. The HR phone interview was well structured and the recruiter was well prepared. She was upfront about the salary requirements and the job details. The process was well communicated.The interview with the manager was warm and friendly though not very easy.

Interview Questions

• What kind of company culture you would be most successful in?   Answer Question

Editorial Assistant Interview

Interview

-spoke with project manager in office about the product line/ series and was asked about my background, softball interview with no hard questions
    -can not remember very much because this was over 2 years ago