Oxford University Press Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Oxford University Press

2.7

Assistant Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Oxford University Press (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

HR phone screen, department head phone screen, two rounds of in-person interviews with a reasonable assignment in between. HR followed up with the offer. Everyone was friendly but smart, except HR was a little uncoordinated sometimes. All told it took a while -- about 3 months from application to hire.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University Press.

Interview

I had a phone interview with human resources, then we scheduled a one on one with marketing manager in the new york office and then third step was a skype interview with the marketing director in the UK office.

Interview Questions

• They just asked about past experience and what about marketing was important to you   Answer Question

Associate Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University Press.

Interview

Three phone interviews followed by face to face interview with two hiring managers and Human Resources manager. Conversational type interview. Whole process took about two weeks. Good organization, good follow through.

Art Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University Press in June 2011.

Interview

The hiring and interview process was not challenging at all. In fact, I could hardly get a word in edgewise. The hiring manager was new and seemed nervous. She compensated by talking non-stop. I had to interrupt her to make a few salient points about my experience relative to the job. She never asked me difficult or challenging questions. This should have been a red flag that she was an inexperienced manager who lacked management confidence. I subsequently met with three senior editors who were pleasant but never challenging.

Interview Questions

• None. I was surprised only by how ill-prepared my interviewer was to speak with me.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to increase the starting salary by $3000 by citing salary figures for similar positions and experience levels in other companies. Don't take their first offer; by the time they make an offer, they'd rather give you a bit more money than try to find another qualified candidate.

Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University Press.

Interview

The only thing I have to say is what a mess. What a huge mess. I had a phone screening interview, and then was asked to come in for an in-person interview the next week. The girl interviewing me was over 20 minutes late and no one could locate her - apparently she had been called into a meeting and "forgotten." After our interview, I talked to HR briefly and they told me that they would let me know in the next week or so, and if I didn't hear from them, to definitely "get in touch." I emailed a thank you to my interviewer - she didn't care to respond. I didn't hear from them for weeks and sent emails and made phone calls to no response. Finally, after a month, I received an automated email that I didn't get the position.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University Press (Cary, NC) in July 2018.

Interview

I was contacted via email by a recruiter several weeks after applying online for the position. He repeatedly referred to me in written correspondence using a nick name that I never approved. I interviewed at the Cary office in early July, however the recruiter was not present. He contacted me via phone the next day inquiring about salary expectations, as well as asking whether I'm currently interviewing elsewhere. The whole tone of the conversation was rather invasive but I took this as a sign of true interest. We agreed on the budgeted salary range and I was told I would be hearing back that same evening or the next day.

Fast forward a month, after one email and voicemail followup-up, I still have not heard back from the recruiter or anyone at OUP. This is by far one of the worst cases of "employer ghosting" I've ever experienced and many in my network agree. The overall level of unprofessionalism and improper communication was astonishing considering the recruiter has "over 15yrs of experience in talent acquisition" according to his LinkedIn profile. A simple rejection email would have sufficed.

If OUP's way of recruiting talent is this terrible I can only imagine what substandard work opportunities and environment they provide. Avoid.

Assistant Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University Press (New York, NY).

Interview

Started with a call from HR where they asked me first off about my salary requirements. This was a long back and forth, and they eventually told me the budget they had for the position and that it was was inflexible. On a second call with HR, I answered questions while they typed my answers, which had to be pretty short. Then set up an interview with the supervisor for the job. This was a pretty standard interview, and I met with HR after where I had to reiterate certain things we had talked about. It was about a month before I finally heard back after the interview process, via email.

Interview Questions

• What was the worst thing you had to do in your last job.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Oxford University Press (New York, NY) in September 2014.

Interview

Initial phone screen (pretty basic—strengths, weaknesses, reason for applying, etc..), followed a few days later by in-person interviews with first the intern coordinator and, then, about an hour later, the lead editor. Received an offer a week after the in-person interviews. Overall, a pretty standard interviewing process. No major curveballs.

Interview Questions

• What are your strategies/methods for staying organized? What is a challenge you've faced in one of your previous opportunities and how did you overcome it? What are your intellectual passions? Why are you interested in publishing? Why are you interested in Oxford?   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University Press (Cary, NC).

Interview

This experience was very unprofessional and -- I can only imagine -- indicative of a larger problem within the organization.

Upon being granted an interview, a member of the hiring staff -- who has an extremely misleading communication style -- spoke with me briefly over the phone. He later sent an email confirming a one-on-one with a team member. In the email, he advised me to dress professionally and prepare questions -- something I would hope would go without saying for any respectable candidate. This should have been the first red flag.

I arrived 15 minutes early for my one-on-one and was greeted late. Rather than interviewing solely with the team member as expected, I was questioned by her boss as well. The interview, which probably lasted 45 minutes or so, was very laid back and straightforward. Upon the conclusion, I wasn't informed what the next steps would be.

The next night, I received a congratulatory email from the hiring staff member. It would be the first of at least three that read like an official offer. Among other things in the email, he asked if a specific salary figure worked for me -- something I wouldn't really expect until the negotiation stage. Following a few days of back and forth with the hiring staff member -- in which he provided me a benefits package and told me that they'd accommodate my start date and any previously-planned vacation time -- I was asked to complete a simple task. I did so early and sent it to the hiring staff member.

The next week, I was invited in for a second interview. The first step of entailed a quick chat with the hiring staff member, who was completely oblivious to the fact that I'd met with more than one person in the first interview. He reviewed salary, benefits, etc., before sending me to discuss my completed task with the same two employees who interviewed me the first time. I walked them through the work, which they were satisfied with, and they told me they didn't have anything else for me. This part made me feel as though my attendance was a mere formality, and that an offer was a forgone conclusion.

A week later, I received the same generic rejection email that I'm assuming other candidates received as well. This wouldn't have bothered me as much if I hadn't kept such close contact with the hiring staff member for nearly a month.

My complaint lies in the approach, not the lack of offer. Overall, I'd say this process was strange, misleading, disorganized, and unfortunately a waste of time.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Oxford University Press (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

It was very friendly and asked all the traditional questions: what are you strengths and weaknesses, describe your past experiences, what you're learning at school, etc. It was a panel interview where I was asked questions by three members of the team that I would later join.