Oxford University Press Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 23, 2017

2.6

Marketing Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University Press (New York, NY).

Interview

Easy, Quick, applied online and was emailed by a recruiter, screening process was quick took about 10 minutes, then set up a time to talk with the manager and team, I then went for in person interview and the whole process took about an hour, was given an offer letter a couple days letter

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University Press (Cary, NC).

Interview

This experience was very unprofessional and -- I can only imagine -- indicative of a larger problem within the organization.

Upon being granted an interview, a member of the hiring staff -- who has an extremely misleading communication style -- spoke with me briefly over the phone. He later sent an email confirming a one-on-one with a team member. In the email, he advised me to dress professionally and prepare questions -- something I would hope would go without saying for any respectable candidate. This should have been the first red flag.

I arrived 15 minutes early for my one-on-one and was greeted late. Rather than interviewing solely with the team member as expected, I was questioned by her boss as well. The interview, which probably lasted 45 minutes or so, was very laid back and straightforward. Upon the conclusion, I wasn't informed what the next steps would be.

The next night, I received a congratulatory email from the hiring staff member. It would be the first of at least three that read like an official offer. Among other things in the email, he asked if a specific salary figure worked for me -- something I wouldn't really expect until the negotiation stage. Following a few days of back and forth with the hiring staff member -- in which he provided me a benefits package and told me that they'd accommodate my start date and any previously-planned vacation time -- I was asked to complete a simple task. I did so early and sent it to the hiring staff member.

The next week, I was invited in for a second interview. The first step of entailed a quick chat with the hiring staff member, who was completely oblivious to the fact that I'd met with more than one person in the first interview. He reviewed salary, benefits, etc., before sending me to discuss my completed task with the same two employees who interviewed me the first time. I walked them through the work, which they were satisfied with, and they told me they didn't have anything else for me. This part made me feel as though my attendance was a mere formality, and that an offer was a forgone conclusion.

A week later, I received the same generic rejection email that I'm assuming other candidates received as well. This wouldn't have bothered me as much if I hadn't kept such close contact with the hiring staff member for nearly a month.

My complaint lies in the approach, not the lack of offer. Overall, I'd say this process was strange, misleading, disorganized, and unfortunately a waste of time.

Associate Editor Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University Press.

Interview

Met with 3 senior managers. Questions were pretty normal and practical. Nothing really stands out as far as questioning - why do you want to work here, what skills do you bring to the table, etc.

Interview Questions

• You don't have very much experience, what makes you think you can do this work?   1 Answer

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Oxford University Press (New York, NY).

Interview

First round phone interview before invitation for interview at the NYC office. Questions were pre-determined and listed on a doc from HR. Interviewer skimmed the questions and pencilled in my responses. I was nervous because it was my first-ever interview, so I responded curtly and the entire interview was no more than 15 minutes. Sent a follow up thank you afterwards. I waited to hear back until the response date had passed, and feeling dejected, read a number of articles that suggested following up once again. I directly called the extension of the woman who interviewed me to ask whether I should continue to have a vested interest in employment with them that summer, and she explained that she was waiting for the department's OK before extending an offer. Two days later, she emailed a formalized offer and I was elated.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose your majors? What do you know about OUP? What are your weaknesses? Why do you want to work in this position?   Answer Question

Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University Press.

Interview

The only thing I have to say is what a mess. What a huge mess. I had a phone screening interview, and then was asked to come in for an in-person interview the next week. The girl interviewing me was over 20 minutes late and no one could locate her - apparently she had been called into a meeting and "forgotten." After our interview, I talked to HR briefly and they told me that they would let me know in the next week or so, and if I didn't hear from them, to definitely "get in touch." I emailed a thank you to my interviewer - she didn't care to respond. I didn't hear from them for weeks and sent emails and made phone calls to no response. Finally, after a month, I received an automated email that I didn't get the position.

Associate Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University Press.

Interview

Three phone interviews followed by face to face interview with two hiring managers and Human Resources manager. Conversational type interview. Whole process took about two weeks. Good organization, good follow through.

Editorial Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Oxford University Press (New York, NY) in September 2016.

Interview

I applied online, and received a phone call in under a week. The phone call lasted about 20 minutes, and then they said they asked if I would be willing to come into the office. The next week I went in for an in-person interview.

Interview Questions

• Could I fully commit to the allotted time for the internship?   1 Answer

Interview

Very odd interview process. Interviewed by 3 people in the office with someone from the UK joining via conference phone. UK interviewer was really aggressive, trying to catch me out for contradicting myself. Questions were vague and didn't have much to do with the job. The people in the office were nice, but the whole thing felt very unorganized.

Had to do a copyediting test that they graded in front of me.

Took them a long time (a month or two) to get back to me with a decision.

Interview Questions

I had already taken another job. Also, the office culture seemed really uptight, not my style.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Oxford University Press (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

It was very friendly and asked all the traditional questions: what are you strengths and weaknesses, describe your past experiences, what you're learning at school, etc. It was a panel interview where I was asked questions by three members of the team that I would later join.

Editorial Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Oxford University Press (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

The editor who interviewed me spoke a lot about what he does at the company and what I would expect out of a career trajectory. Asked very few specific 'interview' questions, mostly inquired about my personal resume and sales experience.