Oxford University Press Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Oxford University Press

2.7

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University Press (New York, NY).

Interview

Standard Interview Process. HR called for a screening phone call, met with HR and the hiring manager. Background check. HR Requested w2s and 3 references.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oxford University Press (New York, NY).

Interview

After a pre submission phone call, phone screen with recruiter, in person interview with the director, and then in person interview where I had 1 on 1s with various team members that spanned across a timeline of over a month, I was told I would hear back in a week. Two weeks later, after various attempts on my part to get in contact, I was called at the very end of the day on a Friday and rejected. Feedback was not helpful as my experience was noted to be "great" but the reasons I was being rejected were vague. Interview questions were not structured and I felt that I was not asked about the full depth and breadth of my experience.

Interview Questions

• What is one instance where you needed to change your communication style?   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oxford University Press (New York, NY) in June 2019.

Interview

I applied online and about 3-4 weeks later received an invite for a phone interview, which eventually led to two on-site interviews with the head of marketing as well as a more senior marketing manager. The recruiter was extremely communicative throughout the entire process, which I really appreciated.

Interview Questions

• What ESPs do you have experience working in?   Answer Question
    • In your experience, what channels are most effective at driving MQLs?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University Press.

Interview

The interview process was very straightforward. I applied online and had a recruiter reach out about a week later. Then I had one phone interview with a recruiter and then a phone interview with the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Oxford University Press.

Interview

I had a phone interview with human resources, then we scheduled a one on one with marketing manager in the new york office and then third step was a skype interview with the marketing director in the UK office.

Interview Questions

• They just asked about past experience and what about marketing was important to you   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University Press (Cary, NC) in July 2018.

Interview

I was contacted via email by a recruiter several weeks after applying online for the position. He repeatedly referred to me in written correspondence using a nick name that I never approved. I interviewed at the Cary office in early July, however the recruiter was not present. He contacted me via phone the next day inquiring about salary expectations, as well as asking whether I'm currently interviewing elsewhere. The whole tone of the conversation was rather invasive but I took this as a sign of true interest. We agreed on the budgeted salary range and I was told I would be hearing back that same evening or the next day.

Fast forward a month, after one email and voicemail followup-up, I still have not heard back from the recruiter or anyone at OUP. This is by far one of the worst cases of "employer ghosting" I've ever experienced and many in my network agree. The overall level of unprofessionalism and improper communication was astonishing considering the recruiter has "over 15yrs of experience in talent acquisition" according to his LinkedIn profile. A simple rejection email would have sufficed.

If OUP's way of recruiting talent is this terrible I can only imagine what substandard work opportunities and environment they provide. Avoid.

Marketing Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University Press (New York, NY).

Interview

Overall the process went really well. I applied online and was contacted for a phone interview. At the end of the phone call, I was scheduled for an in person interview. A week after the in person interview I had a Skype interview with a marketing manager in the UK.

Interview Questions

• What kind of manager do you work well with? What kind do you not work well with?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Oxford University Press in June 2018.

Interview

Brought in for initial interview with direct report for lengthy interview. Came back again for couple interviews with other personnel. Final interview with director. Long drawn out process of 2 months where sometimes wouldn't hear back with HR for weeks. Enjoyed conversation with hiring manager and felt all questions were reasonable and fair. The 2 other personnel I sat with was a waste of time as I could tell one interviewer didn't really understand why they were being asked to participate. Other asked questions well outside the scope of job I was interviewing. My main takeaway throughout interview process was this. No one really providing any compelling reasons why anyone would want to work there. They would talk freely about challenges and limitations of the company but very little positive. It's a two way street. I tried to do enough to sell myself but Oxford wasn't very keen on selling itself as a good place to work. Maybe they think being associated with a world class University they shouldn't have to try hard to do that. Not a well done interview process at all.

Interview Questions

• Being asked to make recommendations on what I would do to improve an area of the company's business that wasn't directly related to my role   1 Answer

Dictionaries Editorial Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University Press (New York, NY) in April 2018.

Interview

A fairly rigorous and specific interview (relevant to Dictionaries/lexicography work). It is definitely useful/necessary to have in-depth knowledge of the Oxford Dictionaries sites (OE + Oxford Dictionaries Online) and to demonstrate interest in lexicography.

Interview Questions

• What are some differences between American and British English?   1 Answer

Production Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cary, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Oxford University Press (Cary, NC) in January 2018.

Interview

When I arrived on-site, I met with the HR manager, who gave me an overview of the overall picture of what life at the company was like. Afterward, I met with two senior production editors to discuss the role in-depth. Once that was done, I met with the HR manager again to wrap up. Once I left, I didn't hear anything back for three weeks before finally being met with an email that said simply, "This job has been filled and we will no longer be accepting applications for this position." If you're trying to get a job with Oxford University Press, understand there's a high likelihood of getting strung along that comes as part of the hiring process.

Interview Questions

• As an editor, how do you resolve conflicts of opinion with writers and researchers?   Answer Question