POWER Engineers Interview Questions | Glassdoor

POWER Engineers Interview Questions

Updated Apr 24, 2017

2.6

Electrical Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at POWER Engineers.

Interview

The interviewer asked me about electrical engineering projects i have been involved in. The interviewer was very cordial and very interested in my responses; I enjoyed the interview, I suggest each applicant be prepared to discuss electrical engineering projects that you have been involved in.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about projects i have been involved in.   1 Answer

Electrical Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Maitland, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at POWER Engineers (Maitland, FL) in April 2017.

Interview

apply online and got a call to let me know the day and the time to come to the interview onsite. The day for the interview is after the day I got the phone call

Interview Questions

• Why do you need the internship here?   1 Answer

Electrical Engineering(SAS) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at POWER Engineers.

Interview

About 45min interview with HR who asked me various questions about my resume as well as some personality questions. She then forwarded my application on to the hiring supervisor.

Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at POWER Engineers (Madison, WI) in March 2017.

Interview

1 hour HR phone interview follow by a 1 hour "technical" phone interview with the hiring manager and another engineer. Then, they brought me in for an in-person interview that consisted mostly of them trying to sell the company to me.

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at POWER Engineers.

Interview

Long phone interview with HR (~ 30 min.), followed by in-person interview process that consisted of several small group interviews (~ 3 hrs). Groups included HR, peers, and hiring supervisor. I felt like I answered different versions of the same questions over and over, particularly in the peer group interview. I did not feel like the peers understood the position they were interviewing for, as they could not answer basic questions about the position, job duties, or how they would work with the person filling it. The peers had a long list of questions and it seemed like their primary concern was getting through all of them. At no point in any in-person interview did employees make an effort to "sell" their company and get me excited to want to work there. The entire emphasis and process was the team trying to decide if I (applicant) was the right fit for them, not if they were the right fit for me.

From my application to interview, the process was quick. During the in-person interview, they indicated they were still reviewing applications. I did not hear from them for several weeks, and then only with a generic "no thanks" letter. For the amount of combined time their HR and employees (and I) put into the interview process, I would have expected a little more timely and personal follow up, even if it's a no.

Our local newspaper had a recent article about the company, and POWER indicated they had a hard time filling all of their vacancies. After going through the interview process I have to wonder if it might have something to do with their lack of consideration and excitement towards potential new employees.

Interview Questions

• Lot of team questions - how do you work with a team, what's your role on a team, etc.   Answer Question

(SAS) Interview

Interview

I first met the recruiters at my university's career showcase. I was scheduled for an interview the next day, which ended up being very relaxed. It was mostly technical. I was asked questions general transmission / distribution concepts and a few about relaying and protection. Overall not too difficult if you've learned about power systems before.

I was then contacted later in the week for a follow-up at their local offices. They told me it was casual dress as most were wearing jeans and what not. It started off with getting to talk about the company, it's many different departments and culture, and then it went into a panel interview with some guys from the office. They asked more technical questions, a bit harder than the previous 1-on-1 interview and behavioural questions at the end. I was told I'd be contacted by the end of the week about their decision (I got an offer and accepted).

Overall the process was very smooth. My recruiter was a recent alumni and was very easy to talk to. They try to make you sweat a little in the group interview but that's expected. They really just want to see that you're knowledgeable in what you know and that you'd be a good fit with the company culture. They want people, especially interns, passionate about the power industry, so look elsewhere if you just want something to put on your resume.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Straight offer. Very good for an internship

SAS Electrical Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hailey, ID

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at POWER Engineers (Hailey, ID) in October 2016.

Interview

Met with booth reps at career fair, had a technical examination to see what I knew the next day. After several weeks, had an enjoyable HR-type behavioral interview. Several more weeks went by and I had a technical interview with four members of the SAS engineering team. Several more weeks went by and had a final full day on-site interview, more technical with many engineers stopping by throughout the day.

Interview Questions

• Explain a power system on a high level.   Answer Question
    • Several questions on overcurrent protection, relay characteristics, recloser coordination.   Answer Question
    • What events cause power transformers to fail? What are common combinations of transformer windings / what purpose do these have?   Answer Question
    • Given a one-line diagram, draw the sequence network, perform short circuit analysis (find voltage at surrounding buses and contributing fault currents).   Answer Question

Negotiation

Entry-Level Position, No negotiation.

Printing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at POWER Engineers in August 2016.

Interview

Interviewer made me feel at ease from the moment I walked through the door. Told me about the job and showed me where I would be working and what machines I would be using.

Electrical Engineer I Interview

Application

The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at POWER Engineers.

Interview

The interview process began with a series of phone conversations and interviews. This included a human resources phone interview and technical phone interview. After both of these phone interviews were completed, an interview at the location was arranged. The whole process took somewhere between one and two months until a final decision was made.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at POWER?
      Where do you see yourself in five years?
      General power grid questions involving transmission and distribution.
      Answer Question

Electrical Engineer I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at POWER Engineers.

Interview

HR contacted me for the typical HR phone interview. I was told I would hear back in about two weeks. Two weeks went by, then three, then in the fourth week I received a call back for an on site interview. The interview was four hours long. I interviewed with senior staff, then was taken on a tour of the offices, then I was interviewed by 3 or 4 pairs of people. They were interested in projects I had done and how I handle conflict. There were no technical questions. The workplace was casual , and the people were friendly.

Interview Questions

• How have you handled conflict in a team project?
      What role do you tend to play when placed on a team?
      Answer Question